Analysis Review v Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Guttered to lose a game we dominated everywhere but the scoreboard and the umpiring left a lot to be desired, our effort and pressure was first rate though

Let the Dogs have their meaningless H&A win, we'll beat them when it counts, no mistake.

We missed Billings and Sinclair's class and polish to convert our F50 dominance, they know how to sniff a goal.

Sorry to say Minchington aint up to it and Schneids is past it, get the Billdog and Sincdog down there and we're cooking with gas.
I agree on Schneider, been a great servant but lost a little with his touch and hand to ball speed at times.

I know there will be many frustrated by Gilbo, but his job on Stringer was outstanding. Completely shut down FIGJAM Jake.

Schneider out of it. He'll have felt it too.

Dunstan needs a huge preseason. Yes he's very, very clean and calm and he uses it really well but his running isn't up to scratch.

Steven tried his heart out and was great for the most but his kicking can kill us, especially when he tires, but he more than makes up for it.

Billings plays, we win. He would have made Wood accountable in the air and on the ground. As it is our smalls were terrible, though that's an anomaly.

I'm still concerned that our game plan won't work against the best sides, those who are too slick for us, those that will patiently work their way through our press and find the inevitable loose. That being said this might just be the case of fatigue, but we're seemingly always caught out by mids floating forward of the contest.
I thought Dempster was Stringer, no?

I hate this team. Last year was nice and easy. Show up, game was over by quarter time, get flogged. This year, between tonight and the Melbourne and Essendon games I feel like the stress of close finishes has shortened my life by several years at least. After those close Grand Finals I don't think I can afford to lose too many more years at this point.

Richardson's match day coaching again shown to be very poor!

His (AR) game plan tonight and match ups made us an ordinary side. Slow forward movement allowed the Dogs to flood back in numbers and gave our delivery and fowards no chance. We allowed the Dogs to double and triple team Reiwoldt or Bruce and they just waited for the spoils.

Playing Schnieder on Wood all game was as sound a coaching move as Roos with Oxley against the Pies. Disgraceful!

Should have won by 5 goals, that game took us back, there was nothing to be gained from that loss. AR has again shown he is an incompetent coach when Plan A doesnt work!

AR and selection decisons:
I say it every year but for gods sake trade of Gilbert or at least dont play him in defence!
Delaney form is that bad its laughable - play Goddard!
Schnieder has the heart the size of a pea, play the kids let him coach from the side lines.
Back our defence in to run and carry more!
Team looked completely stymied and 'over coached' tonight, too many players second guessing themselves.

For me tonight was our most disappointing loss for the year because with skme sound coaching moves we should have won! I think Richo is a promising coach lets just hope he learns from games like this!
Disagree with almost all of this

How good was Roo and Bruce's 1, 2, 3, 4. Roo sprinted about 300m to become a target in that chain. Just absolutely unbelievable. There will never be another like him.

I thought Dempster was Stringer, no?
From what I saw at the ground Gilbert played a lot of the game on Stringer, though our press meant that their mids were often loose, forcing defence to push up and forcing mismatches for Stringer. That said I loved the way we switched tonight, the entire defensive unit worked together, unlike this time last year when we were all over the place. My favourite was Billy's chase on Jake, which actually forced the Dogs to look elsewhere. For such a big, dopey guy, Longer is surprisingly quick!

Random Stat:
Roo's two goals tonight moved him past Alastair Lynch into 25th on the all-time list. Up next is Pavlich who hasn't kicked one in his last three games.

Nick maxwell on sen, as much as I don't like him, when comparing the 2 sides made the point I've been trying to make. Said he would take the Bulldogs list over ours because the bulldogs older guys are contributing but they are not reliant on them, we are more reliant on our older blokes. We Will get there but it Will take us longer, we won't replace the output we are getting Fromm hen older blokes right away it will take a year Orr 2 of readjusting

I think our form is slightly misleading about where we are truly at. Please don't get me wrong I'm excited about our future, but I'm under no illusion its still not going to happen quickly

I also think purely based on output and performance we would have got a better level Fromm sinclair and acres or Mckenzie rather than Gilbert and schneider. But can understand why they are playing

just got back from the game, Ross looked good when he came on, to be honest every time I see him he gets better. Roo is a champ but he still does most of the heavy lifting. The inside 50 kick in the air drives me mad, you don't see the Hawks doing it. Last note is Dogs E Wood 3 votes, this guy saved the game for the dogs or we would have won by 5 goals.

man the gilbert bashing is insane, he had a bad game. When the idiots on the tv are more positive than the supporters on here, I struggle
Can we stop calling criticism bashing?

He was directly responsible for 3 of their goals (or shots on goal) through poor disposal or game awareness. This is a forum for St Kilda supporters to discuss a loss in a very close match. Would you rather we were only allowed to say positive things about players?

Come on, mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick maxwell on sen, as much as I don't like him, when comparing the 2 sides made the point I've been trying to make. Said he would take the Bulldogs list over ours because the bulldogs older guys are contributing but they are not reliant on them, we are more reliant on our older blokes. We Will get there but it Will take us longer, we won't replace the output we are getting Fromm hen older blokes right away it will take a year Orr 2 of readjusting

I think our form is slightly misleading about where we are truly at. Please don't get me wrong I'm excited about our future, but I'm under no illusion its still not going to happen quickly

I also think purely based on output and performance we would have got a better level Fromm sinclair and acres or Mckenzie rather than Gilbert and schneider. But can understand why they are playing

No excuses, Dogs outplayed us tonight but..... Acres, Billings, Mccartin, Goddard, McKenzie, Sinclair were all not playing tonight. And you have to remember that the Dogs started their rebuild before us and we have MUCH more $ to spend and better draft picks going forward. I think we will meet them deep in finals again.

Can we stop calling criticism bashing?

He was directly responsible for 3 of their goals (or shots on goal) through poor disposal or game awareness. This is a forum for St Kilda supporters to discuss a loss in a very close match. Would you rather we were only allowed to say positive things about players?

Come on, mate.
Thanks for outlining the intention of the thread! My eyes have been opened. Also cheers on ignoring the fact that I too am a St Kilda supporter offering my very own opinion! Sorry it's contrary to yours. The reason I believe some of it is bashing, is because perspective is sometimes missing after a close loss (or win), players are either champions or spuds, I just don't reckon gilbert is as much of a spud as some people are making out, and hopefully he'll prove me right.

You can say whatever you want about the game. As can I. I just wanted to add to the ether the possibility that gilbert isn't a liability, and that for a young team playing another young team that is two years ahead in their rebuild, we did ok.

Of course you'd pick them. They've been rebuilding for longer and have more young players taken with top 10 picks.

It's not bashing, bloody hell. People are allowed critize a players poor performance for Christ sake.
I never said you couldn't, I just alluded to the fact that I find it hard to read the review threads sometimes, hope that's ok, I'll try to toe the party line from here on out Joop!

Last edited:
I just wanted to add to the ether the possibility that gilbert isn't a liability, and that for a young team playing another young team that is two years ahead in their rebuild, we did ok.
Then say just that. :thumbsu:

The opposite viewpoint to yours isn't 'bashing' though.

Richardson's match day coaching again shown to be very poor!

His (AR) game plan tonight and match ups made us an ordinary side. Slow forward movement allowed the Dogs to flood back in numbers and gave our delivery and fowards no chance. We allowed the Dogs to double and triple team Reiwoldt or Bruce and they just waited for the spoils.

Playing Schnieder on Wood all game was as sound a coaching move as Roos with Oxley against the Pies. Disgraceful!

Should have won by 5 goals, that game took us back, there was nothing to be gained from that loss. AR has again shown he is an incompetent coach when Plan A doesnt work!

AR and selection decisons:
I say it every year but for gods sake trade of Gilbert or at least dont play him in defence!
Delaney form is that bad its laughable - play Goddard!
Schnieder has the heart the size of a pea, play the kids let him coach from the side lines.
Back our defence in to run and carry more!
Team looked completely stymied and 'over coached' tonight, too many players second guessing themselves.

For me tonight was our most disappointing loss for the year because with skme sound coaching moves we should have won! I think Richo is a promising coach lets just hope he learns from games like this!

I don't mind people having an opinion but surely you aren't serious here old boy?

I understand most of you have trouble criticising the coach which is fine! The game plan we went into tonights game with was great for the first 1/4 or even first half but at some stage we would pay for our lack of scoring. It reminded me if the 2009 GF when we couldnt buy a goal while we were dominating. For me its up to the coach to recognise this and change things up!

At some stage AR needed to make the decision to move an attacking marking player onto Easton Wood.
Our key forwards were competing for the same ball far too ofen and needed to separate.
Our ball movement was meant to be controlled - but we just allowed Dogs to all roll back flooding our forward 50. At some point when we were on top early AR needed to release the shackles to get our movement quicker.
Membrey was leading and marking well but then taking far too long to move it on.
At times when Montagna was in the middle our midfield setups were terrible and allowed the Dogs easy clearances.
Why didnt we try Longer forward?
Why not try Gilbert or Roberton on Wood?
Yes the players kicked poorly but it was because of our slow movement, particularly out of defence and they caused there own pressure.

I understand Richo tried to bring in a controlled slow maintain possession style, tonight ala Richmond, but his error is that we simpy dont have the kicking skills to execute that style of game. The players through effort nearly won the game which ws admirable, but it doesnt deflect the fact that they should have won convincingly with some flexible coaching!

Then say just that. :thumbsu:

The opposite viewpoint to yours isn't 'bashing' though.
I'm of the opinion some of it is! I haven't quoted anyone or made that big a deal about it. I've read some things that I thought make gilbert the scape goat and fell into my definition of the word and mentioned it.

and though we played into his hands at tines how good was easton wood? reminds me of chips with his intercept marking and run. bit injury prone too! would love him in a saints jumper :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Review v Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back