Revival of the "What Music You Listening To?" Thread....

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned in here prior to this but Kanye West's - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is the most unique, creative and ambitious album I have come across in a long time. I know a lot of people would still be off side over the whole Taylor Swift thing but it would honestly have taken someone that arrogant, honest and a little crazy to have even attempted an album like this. It's certainly not flawless but when you attempt something like this your always going to have things that don't work. It is none the less an amazing album and one that is a peice of music that is experinced more then it is listened to it's brilliant.

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned in here prior to this but Kanye West's - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is the most unique, creative and ambitious album I have come across in a long time. I know a lot of people would still be off side over the whole Taylor Swift thing but it would honestly have taken someone that arrogant, honest and a little crazy to have even attempted an album like this. It's certainly not flawless but when you attempt something like this your always going to have things that don't work. It is none the less an amazing album and one that is a peice of music that is experinced more then it is listened to it's brilliant.

I know p4k and co. have blown their collective load over this album, but i'm still waiting for someone to identify precisely what is unique or creative about this album.

So far, all I can deduce is that it's "unique and creative" because:
- He's invited a ton of big-selling pop acts to participate.
- He's created a defiant black man narrative in a way that is palatable to white folk.

Otherwise, I've listened to this album through twice now, and some songs more than that, and I've yet to find a shred of musical, lyrical or rhythmic invention.

Hey mdc, can you describe your thoughts about oddfuture wolfgang.

Haven't heard them before, but just cycled through a few track on the YouTubes.

Preliminary thoughts are that Earl Sweatshirt is seriously talented, although he's essentially copying the style of Big L with a little DOOM thrown in. Will definitely keep an eye on him though. Tyler, The Creator not feeling as much.

Some Big L for those playing at home:

[YOUTUBE]iBrzEVJwYFg[/YOUTUBE]

Maybe you'll like Tyler if you get to know him beeter.
I'm pretty excited by them. They released 5-6 albums this year, and the ones I've listened to all seem solid throughout, they release all of their music for free, and they are so young (Earl is only 16 years old!). I think that maybe in the future all music will be like this.

You can download their stuff from here: http://oddfuture.tumblr.com/post/486144881/earl-sweatshirt-earl I think the album 'earl' is the best, but Bastard and Blackenedwhite are great too.

I know p4k and co. have blown their collective load over this album, but i'm still waiting for someone to identify precisely what is unique or creative about this album.

So far, all I can deduce is that it's "unique and creative" because:
- He's invited a ton of big-selling pop acts to participate.
- He's created a defiant black man narrative in a way that is palatable to white folk.

Otherwise, I've listened to this album through twice now, and some songs more than that, and I've yet to find a shred of musical, lyrical or rhythmic invention.

I think how huge he has gone on the whole thing from a production basis. I think the production is larger and more atmospheric then I have heard been pulled attempted let alone pulled off. The inner monolouge and the way each voice is manipulated in a song like blame game is the best example of what I am talking about.

I certainly don't think every song is unique and creative and pitchfork's 10 may have been a bit much but it is an album that certainly pushes the boundaries of the pop / hip hop genre. It is a lot rawer lyrically and more risky in it's production.

Reading over I may have not answered your question as directly as I had hoped. I think the album is certainly not as unique as some less mainstream type releases, that said for what will still essentially be a pop album the album has a lot more musicality then most would have attempted.

Oh and Jabso I rate P.O.S highly too.

meh, I just don't believe "mainstream" (or "pop", which is equivalent) should have its own category, and as such saying it's a unique mainstream album isn't saying much. At least we can all agree it's certainly an improvement on his last effort.

btw, if you didn't know, MF Doom is here in March @ the Espy. I'm amped.

meh, I just don't believe "mainstream" (or "pop", which is equivalent) should have its own category, and as such saying it's a unique mainstream album isn't saying much. At least we can all agree it's certainly an improvement on his last effort.

btw, if you didn't know, MF Doom is here in March @ the Espy. I'm amped.

808's was trash and as much as I hate the autotune I think at times it is actually used to really good affect, like in blame game which is probably the highlight of the album for mine.

I am torn on the whole giving mainstream it's own catergory thing, I agree with you in theory but it is never going to happen. Mainstream music and more artistic music are often so far apart that I think it's hard for me not to split the two. For a mainstream offering there is (and I am getting repeatitive here) but a lot of depth and creativity both in the lyrecism and in the production. It's an album that I personally think would be enjoyable to most people which is rare.

On doom yeh I heard recentally when do tickets go on sale? Should be nuts.

I've got it written down that the Doom tickets go on sale tomorrow. Should be able to get them from moshtix.com.

What other concerts are you guys going to see this summer? There are quite a few bands I like coming. Atm I have tix for The National, Deerhunter, Ariel Pink, and Neon Indian. Together they released pretty much my 4 favourite 2010 (+ late 2009) albums, so I'm pretty happy.

I've got it written down that the Doom tickets go on sale tomorrow. Should be able to get them from moshtix.com.

What other concerts are you guys going to see this summer? There are quite a few bands I like coming. Atm I have tix for The National, Deerhunter, Ariel Pink, and Neon Indian. Together they released pretty much my 4 favourite 2010 (+ late 2009) albums, so I'm pretty happy.

Will definitely be going to Deerhunter, and would have gone to The National if I weren't away when they're here. Also seeing Mos Def in January. Probably will also see Badu if she announces a sideshow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never rated Rolling Stones all that highly yet ironically they have written two of my all time favs:

Angie -
[YOUTUBE]JMkFjYRWM4M[/YOUTUBE]

Paint It Black -
[YOUTUBE]9Egt1Hq4wpE[/YOUTUBE]

Which leads into The Verve who were busted for plagiarising a Stones tune because of this epic:

[YOUTUBE]Zx3m4e45bTo[/YOUTUBE]

I don't think they ever deserved the bad wrap they got from it and were serously good songwriters in their own right:

[YOUTUBE]1WmGMdaxQLk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Q-NeHrKbfW0[/YOUTUBE]

On a tangent - and back on the hip/hop rap genre - I'm not all that schooled in it. I like some specific stuff but tend to gravitate towards hip hop with melody/harmonys as opposed to just beats (that or British/Aussie groups). Gangters paradise (a cover in itself) as an obvious example:

[YOUTUBE]v4PEZ9NJE8c[/YOUTUBE]

Anyone care to offer some good hip hop in this vain?

The Rolling Stones are a great band if you give them a chance. At first I didn't see what the big deal was, but after a while I realised just how great they are.

Their bluesy stuff is awesome and the album Beggars Banquet is essential listening. This is probably my favourite Stones track:

[youtube]mehrjwB-hVE[/youtube]

Some other stuff you may like:

[youtube]sEQL6z1U0wY[/youtube]

[youtube]oP3oZAPde_o[/youtube]

[youtube]pJYmC9GFcII[/youtube]

Ah, The Verve; pretty much known almost entirely for Bittersweet Symphony, which is a brilliant track. Their first album, A Storm in Heaven, gets sadly overlooked though. It is a more psychedelic sound than their later "Britpop" sounding stuff.

This is a great track off that album:

[youtube]UtS_KMsSoDo[/youtube]

Alright, I'm rambling on and it's late (you could say that I'm a "Midnight Rambler", a ha-ha-ha, get it? Get it?:cool:) so I'm off. Check those tracks out when you get time.:thumbsu:

On a tangent - and back on the hip/hop rap genre - I'm not all that schooled in it. I like some specific stuff but tend to gravitate towards hip hop with melody/harmonys as opposed to just beats (that or British/Aussie groups). Gangters paradise (a cover in itself) as an obvious example:

[YOUTUBE]v4PEZ9NJE8c[/YOUTUBE]

Anyone care to offer some good hip hop in this vain?

Coolio! Oh no! :D

The Roots should probably be your first port of call. They're beasts musically. A couple of live efforts below (both long, but do stick with it, you won't regret it.):

[YOUTUBE]GKqDJxULV3g[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]OJ72mao0YtQ[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]ZD2V_vbyzok[/YOUTUBE]

The second one comes from the film "Dave Chappelle's Block Party", which I can't recommend highly enough. Dave managed to get together several of the very best hip-hop acts of the last decade, provides plenty of lols himself, and got Michel Gondry - he of Sunshine of the Spotless Mind fame - to direct. It's a superb intro to the world of hip-hop.

Others you might like in no particular order:

[YOUTUBE]9p5MAcvroio[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]7AcOJ4I85LE[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]b8AyHupByuU[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]6Q2F6h_Ap6A[/YOUTUBE]

Lauryn Hill and later Outkast also would both fit the bill very well, but both were pretty big in Aus at the time of release, so I'm assuming you're more familiar with them. Let me know if you find something you like. :thumbsu:

Can't recommend the roots highly enough. I haven't gotten around too checking out the stuff they did with John Legend this year but if you like melody and hip hop then I am going to dare to say you'd find a fair bit of it there.

Sunday night with The Bouncing Souls and Hot Water Music was aweosome, especially how both bands got up at the end and collaborated. Here's a taste or 3 of both bands.

HWM are more of a slower bluesy/jazzy influenced punk band while Bouncing Souls are a fast and melodic band who play light hearted song.

[youtube]Dmy7PZuk4E0[/youtube]

[youtube]xZUbuVokKc8[/youtube]

[youtube]5cwSxBMuI08[/youtube]

[youtube]QP2cOXCTroA[/youtube]

[youtube]KcXouGX5tzc[/youtube]

[youtube]cruGi0XwpoQ[/youtube]

I'm getting friggen pumped right now about Muse tonight. I wasn't able to get tickets earlier but managed to find some last week. Didn't really think too much about the fact I was now going until today but been listening to them all morning.

Also really looking forward to seeing the warm up act Biffy Clyro. I also have tickets to see them on Thursday night at the Hi Fi. These guys are from Glasgow and I was introduced to them ages ago from a mate I used to live with in Scotland who actually knows them. Edit - They are actually from a place outside of Glasgow called Kilmarnock which is where my mate is from. Also famous as the place where Johnnie Walker comes from.

Have a listen, and to those that are seeing Muse tonight, make sure you get there by 8pm so you can check them out. If anyone is interested I think there are still tickets available for Thursday night.

This track gets really good about 2/3rds through

[youtube]L8kuWH7sjFo&feature=related[/youtube]

Just on Biffy, many of you may actually know them through the channel 10 promos during this season.

Here is the official promo

[youtube]KB4fj9p8Gtw[/youtube]

What a show they put on last night,nothing short of what you'd expect or hope for.

Yeah Muse were amazing. Could barely get up for work today. Got to go out again tonight then Biffy at the Hi Fi Thursday. Not sure how I'm going to be able to do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Revival of the "What Music You Listening To?" Thread....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back