Revival of the "What Music You Listening To?" Thread....

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone go to No Sleep Til Melbourne (or any other NST shows?).

Descendents were amazing.

I went to it, was a great show. Caught a bit of the descendents they were pretty good, but mainly saw megadeth due to the clash.

Favourite band of the day though were Frenzal. Check out this from the Perth show.

[youtube]MLhR22eMtFc[/youtube]

The Bedroom Philosopher - Northcote (so hungover)

[youtube]PxZiae16Ry8[/youtube]

Hilarious :D

I had a mate that moved to melb, joined a punk band and turned into a carbon copy of this.
Became an edgy, indy try hard wanna be. Massive pretentious **** bag.:mad:

Anyone know if these guys are serious or taking the piss?
All sources have been saying they are killing the BDO's.

[YOUTUBE]4_pS46YRMIQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]KbW9JqM7vho&feature[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]cegdR0GiJl4&feature[/YOUTUBE]

Not really into this kind of stuff but funny none the less.

haha, I know but Megadeth were one of my favourite bands when I was in high school and I hadn't seen them before so I felt a loyalty to them.

Megadeth: active since 1983. Toured Australia 2010, 2009, 2007, 2006. Probably heaps of times before that.

Descendents: active since 1978. Toured Australia 2010. Will probably be the only time.

Big thumbs up to Pink Floyd DT. Live in Pompeii is ****ing awesome, Dark Side one the greatest albums ever.

Some more stuff -

Some cruisy guitar and vocals stuff

Tom Ugly - Bad With Love

[YOUTUBE]vrQiCEn760s[/YOUTUBE]

Bright Eyes - First day of my life

[YOUTUBE]zwFS69nA-1w[/YOUTUBE]

Love the reggae influence

Dont wait - The beautiful girls

[YOUTUBE]GhrSnPFTrGM[/YOUTUBE]

Chilled out Aussie hip hop

Seth Sentry - The Waitress Song

[YOUTUBE]F1-AQ04WQG0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Jamie T - Sticks and Stones

[YOUTUBE]A5sNyWfwU_E&feature=fvst[/YOUTUBE]

Don't know why but I really like this song, appeals to me

The Wambats - Tokyo

[YOUTUBE]DRhUIJextp8[/YOUTUBE]

I like all of those artists although I have other fav songs by them

Tom Ugly are a pretty cool band their first single one the first ever JJJ highschool band comp, had a real Presets type feel to it. I think it was called cult romance.[YOUTUBE]G62g_V7J1qo[/YOUTUBE]

I really like a fair bit of Bright eyes stuff, Perfect sonnet and waste of paint 2 of my faves. New album is trash though.
[YOUTUBE]QXYM6-X8c3o[/YOUTUBE]

Jamie T - Shelia is still my fav song by him, don't check it out if your offended by cus words
[YOUTUBE]QDhwoZteZqA[/YOUTUBE]

Seth Sentry is a real fav of mine
[YOUTUBE]QaF_X6Fhv7w&[/YOUTUBE]

The wombats - I liked the checky pop punk angle they had on their last album not sure I like the more teched up sound.
[YOUTUBE]zrBYrZsp8tY[/YOUTUBE]

The beautiful girls
[YOUTUBE]ZAHgMxkdIz4[/YOUTUBE]

Holy shit, this Miles Davis track is incredibly ahead of its time:

http://listen.grooveshark.com/s/Rated+X/3xzyyw?src=5

It's hard to believe that it was recorded in 1972!:eek: It sounds very dark and appears to have laid the groundwork for future drum and bass artists.

The quality is shocking on YouTube, so you will have to check it out on Grooveshark.

Here's another great track from a '90s shoegaze band called Ride:

[youtube]wF0FO5riglY[/youtube]

There is so much going on in this track; ****ing sensational.:thumbsu: You ABSOLUTELY NEED to crank up the volume to fully appreciate the awesomeness of this song.

And here is a recent discovery from a band called Exit Calm:

http://listen.grooveshark.com/s/You+ve+Got+It+All+Wrong/2PkYIc?src=5

Sorry, I can't find it on YouTube, so check it out on Grooveshark (which is an awesome website by the way).

It sounds very dramatic and atmospheric. I love the bass line and drum beat. They work really well together.

And now an old favourite Frank Zappa track. Once again the quality is horrible on YouTube, so you'll have to check it out on Grooveshark.

http://listen.grooveshark.com/s/Transylvania+Boogie/1Us02k?src=5

A very underrated track off a very underrated album (Chunga's Revenge). The guitar work is ****ing amazing! I could seriously listen to Frank Zappa solo all day long and not get sick of it.:thumbsu:

Ok, just one more. I'm still seriously obsessed with Tame Impala (they are the best band I have heard in years). I found some of their demos and this track stood out to me. I love the riff at the 30 second mark, and the soloing throughout the entire track.

[youtube]ZsIc1p21ztg[/youtube]

From what I've heard, there seems to be another Tame Impala album on the way this year, and from what frontman Kevin Parker has been saying, it is going to be more experimental, which is what I love (check out Frank Zappa's 1968 album We're Only in It for the Money for a great example of experimental music). It's refreshing to see a band that is willing to experiment instead of sticking to making radio-friendly songs once they get popular. And it's also great to see a band that doesn't make their fans wait years between albums. I can't wait!:)

I'm pretty happy with the album. It's no Kid A / Amnesiac, but much more interesting than In Rainbows, I think. I like the busy drums on most tracks and the real soft textured background samples. Kinda wish they would make a dubstep album actually.

Fav tracks atm are the first one, Feral, Lotus, and Codex.

I'm pretty happy with the album. It's no Kid A / Amnesiac, but much more interesting than In Rainbows, I think. I like the busy drums on most tracks and the real soft textured background samples. Kinda wish they would make a dubstep album actually.

Fav tracks atm are the first one, Feral, Lotus, and Codex.

Very similar to my take. It's far better than In Rainbows, but doesn't have any of those soaring emotional moments that Kid A/Amnesiac/HTTF all had...nonetheless, even with only 8 tracks atm, and even after only a half-dozen listens, I'm very happy to call it a great album. The only track that I can see myself skipping on future listens is Morning Mr. Magpie, which is a 9-year-old track anyway.

While you're here...what's your take on HTTF and Eraser? I seem to rate them much higher than most.

Also, in case you missed it:

[YOUTUBE]XqgUqM1gjx4[/YOUTUBE]

Haha, yeah I saw that OF performance. Tyler cracks me up. It's a pity Earl couldn't be involved - he's been mysteriously disappeared by his grandmother apparently, after she heard his music. Possibly shipped off to some boot camp. Dude doesn't turn 18 till this time next year, so probably won't be able to rejoin the group till then.

OF are meant to be coming to Aus this year, which I'm excited about.

Very similar to my take. It's far better than In Rainbows, but doesn't have any of those soaring emotional moments that Kid A/Amnesiac/HTTF all had...nonetheless, even with only 8 tracks atm, and even after only a half-dozen listens, I'm very happy to call it a great album.

Yeah. Did you order the vinyl version? Think there will be an extra b-sides CD or anything?

I really like the Eraser. Skip divided, atoms for peace, and the last two songs are all really great imo.

HTTF is real good, but I don't listen to the album as a whole much. Some tracks, like the moon song near the start, 'Go to sleep', and 'I will', are a bit boring I think (at least in the context of the album). The way the electronic and traditional instruments are merged doesn't sit as well with me also: the production is more clean than in the preceding two albums, and I think it sounds a bit sterile at times. The songs that seem mostly all comp-generated are my favourites (like the second song) + there there and scatterbrain. Backdrifts is one of my fav RH songs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OF are meant to be coming to Aus this year, which I'm excited about.

Not in Portugal anymore?

Yeah. Did you order the vinyl version? Think there will be an extra b-sides CD or anything?

Nah, just bought the .wav version. I'm hopeful that there'll be a second CD, yeah. Might be nothing, but if you listen to the lyrics on Separator at 3:15+, it's "If you think this is the end you're wrong".

HTTF is real good, but I don't listen to the album as a whole much. Some tracks, like the moon song near the start, 'Go to sleep', and 'I will', are a bit boring I think (at least in the context of the album).

Fair enough. It came out a few months before I finished school, and it got a lot of play through my exam prep and after-school celebrations, so maybe there's a sentimental attachment there. That said, I think 'I will' is ****ing lovely, even if it's not typical RH.

I usually can't stand electronic music (or "chillwave" as this particular subgenre is known as), but this one is definitely an exception:

[youtube]-DkslcOhytU[/youtube]

The music feels very nostalgic to me; it reminds me of being a care-free child. The name "chillwave" is probably a hint though; the music is very relaxing and "chilled-out".:thumbsu:

Very similar to my take. It's far better than In Rainbows, but doesn't have any of those soaring emotional moments that Kid A/Amnesiac/HTTF all had...nonetheless, even with only 8 tracks atm, and even after only a half-dozen listens, I'm very happy to call it a great album. The only track that I can see myself skipping on future listens is Morning Mr. Magpie, which is a 9-year-old track anyway...

Agree with all that. It would be hard to top 'Weird Fishes' as a "single" release anyhow. I think this album is beautiful so far, is growing on me slowly with every listen.

Not in Portugal anymore?

Nah, just bought the .wav version. I'm hopeful that there'll be a second CD, yeah. Might be nothing, but if you listen to the lyrics on Separator at 3:15+, it's "If you think this is the end you're wrong".

Nah I just live in Melbourne.

I'm really feeling this album now. Stands up to repeated listening really well. Hope they come and tour here for this one. Worst moment of my life was when they cancelled their second night in Melbourne last time they toured.

That song is firmly in my vault of shame but occasionaly comes out as a guilty pleasure.

I'd love to hear some other tracks from peoples "vaults of shame". Heres one from mine, love it :eek::D:

[YOUTUBE]VySphrQsy1U[/YOUTUBE]

[youtube]gcXPCX8BSdk[/youtube]

Love giving this EP a spin when I'm stuck in traffic. Love the looks from people in the slow-moving cars next to me while I'm "singing" along :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Revival of the "What Music You Listening To?" Thread....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back