Strategy Rhys Stanley - going forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there going to be an available ruckman that is better than Stanley ???

I would be happy with Minson for a year or two on low wages to replace McIntosh and Simpson until we find out if Read Vardy or Lucy will cut the mustard.

I think we would have to trade for one.

The GFC needs to identify the best no.1 ruck that is currently 3rd string (ie that can't get a game although is deserving, like maric at Adelaide, or Hawks did with ceglar for eg) and get in their ear NOW.

Consequently pull off a gunstan like trade that makes us look amazing in hindsight.

The Hawks look like psychics with gunstan now, but the reality is they just got in the ear of a quality disgruntled young player who was talented, yet not quite in the 22. Not that much brain power can see that this is the way you trade for players.

In terms of who specifically... That is the GFC's job. They need to have a list of talented no.1 young rucks that for whatever reason, arnt getting the game time they deserve. They need to be in their ear now so come trade time, the said player seeks a trade to us. Given they were not seen as in the 22 in 2015, the trade wouldn't be that expensive, but would have huge potential.

The one I identify currently is nicholls from GC. But I'm sure there are more.

Get to work Geelong.

The one I identify currently is nicholls from GC. But I'm sure there are more.

Get to work Geelong.

watched him last week and he got beaten by Mumford. Doesn't look any better than Stanley.

a left field selection would be Matthew Lobbe. I can see Ryder playing predominantly as a ruckman forcing Lobbe to play forward where he is not as comfortable. Long shot but you never know.

stanley is average. will get torn a new one throughout the year but at least he is better than dawson. the issue is we got ripped off massively.. Goddard would have been an excellent selection with our aging backline.

Just one knock on Rhys. He needs to step up his awareness at balls ups. They seem to happen too quickly for him and he looks hurried and competes just to tap it to anywhere. Otherwise he is travelling nicely.
You hope that comes with more exposure and experience in the role.

Rhys was an extra midfielder last night. Rucks who can contribute so strongly around the ground - Naitanui, Goldstein - are worth their weight in gold. I'm extremely happy with how he's tracking and think we'll all look back one day at Christensen leaving (allowing us to get Stanley) as a blessing in disguise.

Rhys was an extra midfielder last night. Rucks who can contribute so strongly around the ground - Naitanui, Goldstein - are worth their weight in gold. I'm extremely happy with how he's tracking and think we'll all look back one day at Christensen leaving (allowing us to get Stanley) as a blessing in disguise.

Rhys is a vrey good and under-rated kick.

stanley is average. will get torn a new one throughout the year but at least he is better than dawson. the issue is we got ripped off massively.. Goddard would have been an excellent selection with our aging backline.

I was very annoyed we we traded Stanley. That the Blues used their pick below us on a player who should have gone later allowed Goddard to slip to us and make me more content. I don't think anyone could have predicted The Blues generosity though!

I see the pick as a win/ win. Cats needed a ruckman. Saints had Longer and Hickey and so Stanley was not going to be in the ruck at the Saints. Bruce has really bloomed as our second key forward. But scoring Goddard will be great for us as we desperately neededa genuine tall CHB to take over from Fisher.

Stanley is a No1 ruck or No2 ruck/ 3rd forward and will do well in either role. Cats other rucks are all one dimenensional. Team with Bilccavs is a great combo.
Will probably never tap as well as the best ruckman, but around the ground will do very nicely once he gets more games under his elt and gets more used to your playing patterns. Playing asa running ruckman will suit him as he will then not have a close checking backman. In spaces he can use his pace and leap.

As a pure KPF he is not quite there as he is not a natural forward who can read the play well. But will have days out forward due to his other talents.

Massive leap, and is a beautiful field kick and can also roost it a mile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all positive with this guy. He's young, he's fit, he's athletic, he's really talented, and he's a point of difference. Turning out to be a great trade under difficult circumstances from Geelong (and, like most others here, I was NOT a fan of the move at the time). Props to the young fellah.

I think Scott said he'd had a slow start due to slight setbacks but seems to be now gathering fitness, moved well last night but I think he's got much more to come in the weeks ahead.
Yeah I think we're all happy now with the P21 trade, guy's with his height and flexibility are few and far between.

Last edited:
Stanley has a lot to improve and learn but he's 24 and is already offering much more than we've had in the ruck and around the ground since Ottens.
Also don't forget we got pick 60 as part of the trade and cunico seems to be developing nicely as a half back in the vfl. Stanley could and should be a Geelong player for the next 6+ years I look forward to seeing how much he improves in that time
No offence to St.kilda but he will develop much better here than he would've there.

For the Stanley haters out there… he might be a bit up and down at the moment - but he's doing ok.
Of course, you can also thank him for the last two goals we kicked last night.

EVERY clearance from the centre was due to….. yup you guessed it…. Stanley.

He's not perfect - he played 61 games… but he gives us a good amount now.

Imagine what he'll be like when fully match fit…. :cool:

GO Catters

For the Stanley haters out there… he might be a bit up and down at the moment - but he's doing ok.
Of course, you can also thank him for the last two goals we kicked last night.

EVERY clearance from the centre was due to….. yup you guessed it…. Stanley.

He's not perfect - he played 61 games… but he gives us a good amount now.

Imagine what he'll be like when fully match fit…. :cool:

GO Catters

I , like a few people, started to wonder if we had gone tall crazy when we trade 21 for him. Lose a young mid and trade for another tall , especially after getting Clark but I think after the initial shock of it wore off , the talent package that he presented gave us the chance for a huge up. Not to mention I think the club finally must have agreed that they had pinned too much on fragile players and it was time to increase options.

Then post draft , still plenty of people said we should have kept 21 and got Goddard. Certainly our backline is not young and Kolo is the only young tall looking like a good chance. But it was not about long term , it was about re balancing I think those that still think like that just dont see the methodology of Geelong being willing to trade for now , rather than draft for the future. We have been trained to think thats our thing. Most of our champs have come that way , few have been traded in. But times have changed with FA , trades have changed and the time demands on list build have changed. its not 99 and 01 anymore.

Value for P21? I said this a while ago , the highlight package of Stanley...if that was a U18 kid doing it he would have been a top ten pick. Even V Pies , any draft if a tall could do that for us we would say P21 ..no worries. And if we had 21..was Goddard the player we would have taken. I wonder. If we had drafted a kid like Goddard he would "probably" be a good KPP for us long term , but FA and trade do tend to me we can redress a bit easier than in the past.... so Im not convinced we would have taken Goddard ..we may have but we may have taken another mid like Webb , Menadue or Blakely

How important is it to win the hit outs in the ruck in order to win the clearances ? is just competing enough ?

That's the golden question. Is it okay to not get a hitout as long as the opposition gets few hitouts to advantage. It worked well for us on Friday as once the ball hit the group Stanley was an extra midfielder and with Blicavs blanketing Pendlebury, it was a 3 and against 2 battle. Not sure if it would work against 211 or a more effective tap ruckmen.

I was not a big fan of the trade at the time but I have been presently surprised with Stanley. He competes very well, marks well, kicks well, movement is great and seeing him actually follow up the ruck contests and win clearances in the last quarter was great. The one thing I want him to improve is he has a great leap and gets his hand to the ball but I find he isnt yet syncing with the midfielders well to hit the ball to where they need to go and hitting mids on the move with taps, but this will take time as the midfield plays together more, it should improve.

I am not yet sure whether he is a good enough ruckman for a top 4 side, assuming we plan to try and contend again over the next few years, and so down the track we may need to trade in another ruck with him being the no2 ruck (which he would excel at), assuming Blicavs can become a defender or midfielder full time. But after what I have seen last month I definitely think he is the best ruckman on our list right now and a better option than McIntosh, Simpson, Vardy or Walker (and Blitz is looking more valuable in other roles) so I expect him to be our no1 ruck for the rest of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back