Review Cats down Doggies by 4 points to go 4-0

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruhn in particular I notice gets really clean clearances and 6v6 with our forward line is up there with the hardest to defend in the league. Quality > Quantity I guess and the hack 20m clearance kick straight to Tom Stewart is technically a clearance stat but does more harm than good.

CS must privately not rate Libba clearances that is for sure. He has played some all time clearance games against us but we never put any work into him.

What they got right​

The Jeremy Cameron show

The definition of a prototype game from the three-time All-Australian.

Run up the ground harder than anyone else, run back harder than anyone else, hit the scoreboard, create and gain plenty of metres.

Cameron did all that and more. He only kicked two goals but could have easily had four or five. Cameron also gained 652 metres and finished with 27 disposals and eight marks, all club highs and ridiculous numbers for someone seen as a key forward.

It was a warning shot for the rest of the competition. Come with a plan for Jez or, as the Western Bulldogs did, pay the price.

Finals are all but locked in

Geelong plays North Melbourne this weekend and still has eight games to come at GMHBA Stadium.

Already 4-0, it’s now very hard to see Geelong not getting at least 12 wins, which should lock Chris Scott’s men in for a return to finals.

Given they’ve done it without Cam Guthrie all year and Patrick Dangerfield the last two weeks should only boost optimism that Geelong can cause some chaos in 2024.

Bowes finds himself a role

Saturday night was also Jack Bowes’ best game in the hoops.

After his first season at the Cattery in 2023, what the former Sun would be able do achieve at Geelong given his attributes and best position became a talking point.

But as a centre bounce midfielder against the Dogs Bowes more than held his own, booting two goals from 23 possessions while also contributing five goals.

There’s a definitive future there.

Watched On The Couch earlier and i noticed an amazing stat that i don't think most will have picked.

Geelong rank number 1 for points from centre bounces in 2024 which is frankly ******* absurd with the mix we have had in it so far this year.
Genuinely scary for the rest of the league that we've done that with all of Danger, Guthrie, Bowes, Bruhn, Atkins, Stanley, & Duncan all missing a game or two, or not playing at all.

It's a great start. We're banking the wins but we're nowhere near as good as can be if this all clicks with full availability.

It's the best place to be. The last thing you want to be is March/April premiers and then falling apart by June.

Honestly that reads like the attitude of a success staved Carlton supporter a few weeks before they do their annual membership melt.

When you've been good as we have for as long as we have you don't dream of success, it is your birth right. No midfield no worries, team resembles an overdone steak, no worries. So old that even the headstones have been placed, to find the date of death now has a typo, no worries. There is only one Geelong, the greatest team of all and Chris Scott is our coach.
Hang on - you need to keep the arrogance in check. I went to the losing grand finals in 1989, '92, '94 and '95. Even though we were making finals consistently, we experienced nothing but pain in those years - we were more or less a laughing stock.

Arrogance can bring the best teams undone. Just look at Horforn and Cartoon - so good for so long but both are now suffering to a greater or lesser extent.

Best to be humble (unless you're giving it to some opposition flog in the Bay) - enjoy every moment for what it's worth in the knowledge that it probably won't last forever, even though we all hope it will.

Last edited:
Hang on - you need to keep the arrogance in check. I went to the losing grand finals in 1989, '92, '94 and '95. Even though we were making finals consistently, we experienced nothing but pain in those years - we were more or less a laughing stock.

Arrogance can bring the best teams done. Just look at Horforn and Cartoon - so good for so long but both are now suffering to a greater or lesser extent.

Best to be humble (unless you're giving it to some opposition flog in the Bay) - enjoy every moment for what it's worth in the knowledge that it probably won't last forever, even though we all hope it will.

The arrogance of youf.
Looking Down Over It GIF by Bernardson

Arrogance can bring the best teams done. Just look at Horforn and Cartoon - so good for so long but both are now suffering to a greater or lesser extent.

Yep- I went through all those long years and was at those losing gfs too. I never get complacent about our now long-running success. I really enjoy all the good times and count myself very lucky, but I don’t take any of it for granted.

The arrogance of youf.
Looking Down Over It GIF by Bernardson

What is it that you are afraid of, it can't be finishing 2nd 4 times. As if getting close is the greatest shame... would you take away the accomplishments of a year based off the action of the moment. Imagine being an Essendon supporter. two decades neither moment nor the year. Imagine the abyss in front of the WCE supporter. They'll be there for a decade. You could get the moment and then steal the year.

What is it that you are afraid of, it can't be finishing 2nd 4 times. As if getting close is the greatest shame... would you take away the accomplishments of a year based off the action of the moment. Imagine being an Essendon supporter. two decades neither moment nor the year. Imagine the abyss in front of the WCE supporter. They'll be there for a decade. You could get the moment and then steal the year.
You don’t get what I’m saying. But it matters not - it’s only footy.

Watched On The Couch earlier and i noticed an amazing stat that i don't think most will have picked.

Geelong rank number 1 for points from centre bounces in 2024 which is frankly ******* absurd with the mix we have had in it so far this year.
Funnily, or rather unexpectedly, Dangerfield’s CC stats in two games were low. Posted them in Preview thread.

Maybe the two are related.

Like we only register a centre clearance when something is whack with the oppo rotation. Then we get a clean break and send it to an elite forward line.

So the data set may just be missing an the low quality CC numbers because we just don't win them?

Spitballing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always thought Barrett was a closet Geelong supporter anyway, and who could blame him? You have to look elsewhere when Norf just drag down your life year on year.

Think he also has a man-crush on Chris Scott, so much so that he's now trying to look like him with the beard.
Damo famously had a scuffle with Brad Scott in New York when the Scott brothers meet up with Damo and Hutchy there a few years ago. :D So maybe he is trying to stay on the Scott brothers good side. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats down Doggies by 4 points to go 4-0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back