Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2003
?
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stephen Hill
Ziebell v Hartlett

these are the two guys i expect freo to be seriously considering with pick 4. unless naitanui is there in which case we would snap him up

who would you take and why?

from the little i have seen and heard, ziebell is the taller and stronger of the two, but there are question marks over his pace and his position at afl level. while hartlett is quicker and a more genuine mid, he doesn't have the match winning potential of ziebell

tough choice :thumbsu:

Re: Ziebell v Hartlett

Hartlett probaly has the better potential but Ziebell is the better leader and could be your next captain.

Ziebell easily.. he's the closest thing we'll ever see to Michael Voss again..

(imagine voss, but better overhead)

Hartlett doesn't do enough damage from what i've seen.. eg. i've seen him twice and he was listed in the best on both occassions yet i hardly remember seeing him with it.. Ziebells possessions are decisive..

don't get me wrong both players will both be real players.. but Ziebell could actually end up being the best player from this draft..

just my opinion

Ziebell is probably more a ready made AFL player than Hartlett, and better overhead, but if Hartlett can develop physically I have no doubts that he could be the best player from the draft, but both are very, very good players, and it would come down to what the club needs are imo as they are so close in reputation.
Ziebell - Leadership, strong overhead, neat disposal, composure.
Hartlett - Quick pace, nice disposal & can kick mutiple goals.
The most obvious difference between the two is Ziebell is slightly better under pressure and can mark better in the air whilst Hartlett has better pace and has no problems running forward from the midfield and slotting multiple goals.

Ziebell easily.. he's the closest thing we'll ever see to Michael Voss again..

(imagine voss, but better overhead)

Hartlett doesn't do enough damage from what i've seen.. eg. i've seen him twice and he was listed in the best on both occassions yet i hardly remember seeing him with it.. Ziebells possessions are decisive..

don't get me wrong both players will both be real players.. but Ziebell could actually end up being the best player from this draft..

just my opinion

I agree Bourky, there is alot of Voss in Ziebell but 5 cm taller. From what i've seen, it's either a goal kicking Simon Black (Hartlett) or a Michael Voss type player with 5cm and a better overhead mark (Ziebell). Don't think the dockers could go wrong either way.

I'll say Fremantle should take Hartlett because i want to see Ziebell wearing the navy blue next year ;)

Nice avatar C23:thumbsu:

I'd be shocked if carlton didn't go for Hurley before either of these guys. carlton are crying out for a key defender.

I don't think carlton will finish low enough to land either of these 2 or Hurley though.

These 3 players will be picks 4, 5 & 6 from all reports.

From reports Hartlett was the more, pure mid, while Zeibell was more a HFF/mid.

Nice avatar C23:thumbsu:

I'd be shocked if carlton didn't go for Hurley before either of these guys. carlton are crying out for a key defender.

I don't think carlton will finish low enough to land either of these 2 or Hurley though.

These 3 players will be picks 4, 5 & 6 from all reports.

From reports Hartlett was the more, pure mid, while Zeibell was more a HFF/mid.

Thanks mate

Carlton will have either pick 5 or 6, looking at the draw, the Port game is really the only winnable game, the others are against Hawthorn, NM and Brisbane at the GABBA. I'd be surprised if we didn't have a choice of one of Hartlett, Ziebell or Hurley.

Our backline is coming along fairly well with Jamo, Thornton, Austin, O'hAlpain, Bower and even Waite all capable of playing as a KB, our major problem is in the forward half. Ziebell would provide a quality target across HF, can hit Fev lace out and can help out with clearences (considering our ruckman aren't fully developed yet). Then with our second pick, we'd take one of the quality KF available.

Anyway this isn't a Carlton board, it's a Ziebell v Hartlett thread, Fremantle should take Hartlett :thumbsu:

Ziebell for mine.
If Richmond had the choice, then I'd def. take Jack...I'm sick of taking smaller bodied players and having to wait for them to, if at all, develop. It's only now, 4 years on, that Dicky Tambling is kicking on, and Hartlett, from the little I've seen, reminds me of what Tambling showed at U/18 level.

And Ziebell reminds me of a (much) classier version of Shane Tuck, or similar to Mark Coughlan, so I'd love to get him into the side to compliment the likes of Deledio, Cotchin and Tambling.
And there are so many outside mids these days, theyre a dime a dozen...whereas the tough inside ones (Mitchell, Kerr, Kirk etc) are almost rare.

But as I said, I haven't seen much of them...

What puts Rich above Ziebell and Hartlett? (As Rich seems to be rated higher in just about every mock draft or discussion on this board)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What puts Rich above Ziebell and Hartlett? (As Rich seems to be rated higher in just about every mock draft or discussion on this board)
His kicking is freakish- he nails 50m passes off both feet, with the ball not going higher than 2.5m off the ground :eek:.

He also plays the inside mid role just about to perfection, although is sometimes seen as lazy.

Rich only needs 15 disposals to win a game of his boot. 10 of those will be kicks from which 1-2 will be goals. It will be scary to see what an AFL preseason will do for him. Brownlow material in his first 3 years Judd like IMO.

Im a Hartlett fan as well, havent seen too much of Ziebell though.

Rich only needs 15 disposals to win a game of his boot. 10 of those will be kicks from which 1-2 will be goals. It will be scary to see what an AFL preseason will do for him. Brownlow material in his first 3 years Judd like IMO.

Im a Hartlett fan as well, havent seen too much of Ziebell though.

WOAH.. Very big wraps!!!!

LOL, you have no idea what you are talking about.

His kicking is freakish- he nails 50m passes off both feet, with the ball not going higher than 2.5m off the ground :eek:.

He also plays the inside mid role just about to perfection, although is sometimes seen as lazy.
I thought Cotchin was the only mid with the ability to do this regularly and a once in a generation player. ;)

Ziebell would be a better fit for the Blues when we lack a HFF and players who can kick.

I think Wayne Hughes mentioned Hartlett when he gave that big wrap to Naitanui last year. :confused:

We can't lose either way, but pick six would make our decision easier like the Cats picking Selwood at seven.

Ziebell is probably more a ready made AFL player than Hartlett, and better overhead, but if Hartlett can develop physically I have no doubts that he could be the best player from the draft, but both are very, very good players, and it would come down to what the club needs are imo as they are so close in reputation.
Ziebell - Leadership, strong overhead, neat disposal, composure.
Hartlett - Quick pace, nice disposal & can kick mutiple goals.
The most obvious difference between the two is Ziebell is slightly better under pressure and can mark better in the air whilst Hartlett has better pace and has no problems running forward from the midfield and slotting multiple goals.

Hamish Hartlett folks...
hartsmark.jpg

...and that was on the way down

I have seen Hartlett play on 6 occasions live this year and he is very solid overhead. West play him on the ball and occasionally shift him forward. His spells forward net him a goal or two every game. Great hands, strong in marking contests, quick and sure in the packs.

I haven't seen Ziebell play so I can't really compare them, but Hartlett could easily fall into the HFF/Mid category also.

Yeah nah, 15 is too much. I've seen Rich kick the ball to himself from the backline, run 20 m, kick 50 off one step, run to receive and bomb it from 80 m for a goal :rolleyes: :thumbsu:

**** me some people (not just you) get ridiculous with their assessment of young draftees.

"He's a bit like Voss with the overhead ability of Carey and the kicking of Buckley" - yeah...........right

Ziebell I can shed some light on from attending the same school as him a few eyars back and knowledge on the local league he sometimes plays for outside of the Bushies.

Now while not comparing his skills to anyone else's he's a very accurate solid kicker and has the ability to turn games. ( Case in point being his ability to stretch a weakened W.Bulldogs side into finals contention last year at 16 or 17.)

He's a definite first round draftee and would likely be able to crack any clubs top 22 ( besides Geelong perhaps) straight away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rich, Hartlett, Sidebottom, Ziebell and Yarran

Remove this Banner Ad

Back