• Andrew McQualter

Votes: 87 37.8%
  • Adem Yze

Votes: 146 63.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not sure why the lack of enthusiasm - the vast majority of premiership winning coaches over the last 10 years have been Clarkson or his disciples.

Yze joined Hawthorn in 2012 as a development coach - improved their goal kicking accuracy out of sight. Took over line coaching after Beveridge was appointed at WB in 2014.

Hawthorn went from conceding 80 points per game in 2014, to 70 per game in 2015 after he took over the backline. Were the best defence in the competition, which funnily enough, the other contenders in the first 2 premiership years had significantly better defences i.e Sydney, Fremantle, Geelong. Even our defence in 2013 was better than Hawthorn’s. Significant improvement under Yze.

Joined Melbourne for 2021 season - went from 9th to 1st with best defence, which was his line.

He’s probably the last of the Clarkson disciples from Hawthorn, similar CV to Hardwick’s.

I wasn't crapping on him, he was my pick of the 4. I was more pointing out that earlier in the piece i had envisioned a lot of other names were going to be in the mix. When the news broke the names were Hinkley, Leppa, Caracella, Carr, Bolton, Grigg, Montgomery - they were the names i thought we might be picking from. Yze fits in with some of those names for sure, but for none of those names to be in our final 4 is a bit deflating.

My opinion is, this next coaching role, is most likely on a hiding to nothing. From looking at the history of transition from dynasty to dweller, the "next coach" tends to not have a great time. The only great example against that point was Scott at Geelong taking over from Bomber - but that was a real gift, he literally had a prime list still - ours is clearly on the decline & lacking in key areas. It's a hard gig coaching as "the new guy" after a dynasty era ends. I've just accepted the next 2 years are going to suck a fair bit, but it needs to happen for the club to reset and retool for a new era. My biggest concerns at the club over the past 3 years has been the clear lack of standards, a decline in the team morale & togetherness. Our losses were at times comical in nature - either due to the circumstance, the effort or the brain farts. Yze has an impressive CV, but hasn't got a lot in charisma & being inspiring etc. He seems like a good guy, so no slant on him as a person, just never heard him speak and think "wow, that guy is a boss".

There is a part of me kinda hoping for Newman. I think Essendon made a huge mistake getting Knights & passing on "fav son" options like Dimma. Listening to some of the Sacked interviews recently several people involved with Essendon at that time agree this was the wrong appointment as they club game off such a great era of success built on strong core values, etc. The club should have re-enforced those values with people who were bred on them VS taking an outsider that looked like a deliberate distancing of that former era. Newman feels very risky - but he gets Richmond. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly of it. Newman was there when that premiership core group was put together & he lead them in some big battles, mostly which went poorly, mind you. A new Coaching group that was built with Newman & Grigg would have been really interesting to me.

Yze for a club that’s a significant way through a re-build and ready for a tilt .
Newman for the development of a list .
I think we are in the need of list development therefore Newman should be the leading candidate .

Club see us as in the frame for a flag so it’s probably Yze.

I don’t disagree with you though.

Yze for a club that’s a significant way through a re-build and ready for a tilt .
Newman for the development of a list .
I think we are in the need of list development therefore Newman should be the leading candidate .

Why do you see Newman better value in development ?

Club see us as in the frame for a flag so it’s probably Yze.

I don’t disagree with you though.

If the club is thinking like that then i'm not sure i have the trust in them i once did. That seems ambitious if you ask me. We have no key forwards, no wings, A slightly above average midfield & a leaky back 6 which lacks a general now Grimes has fallen off a cliff.

It also has nil longterm commitment from its biggest star, Dustin Martin, for the longterm future. From a lot of reports, he was open to heading north - but accepted it was too hard of a task this year. The club can say its all poppycock all it likes, but until Dustin has signed an extension beyond next year - i will be skeptical. It very much feels like he will play out his last year at richmond to tick off 300, then head north. So i guess their "win now" attitude is just one last desperate lunge at hoping Dusty can drag us to 1 more flag - its the only logic i can think to why they think they should be thinking "win now". I don't see it personally, i feel like this team is missing way too many pieces. We are adding nothing and literally losing a generation of talent & leadership.

I finally cast my vote. Newman

My tipping point was the realisation that we have just lost an entire generation of club culture in 1 massive swoop. Jack.Trent. Dimma - all at effectively once. And we are replacing them with nothing, as we have no picks. No one, outside perhaps Baker, stood up in any real leadership capacity this year. We will need someone who can understand where our club has been, gone and are. I think Newman will be able to handle those intangible elements around our recent identity crisis as a club. Yze seems more accomplished overall - but lacks the charisma and passion Richmond people need to see in their people. Newman will have a calming affect on this group i think. We will need to make sure we get him REAL assistant coaches with real chops though, for it to work we would need to get him an assistant team that will look like the best in the business within 2-3 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I finally cast my vote. Newman

My tipping point was the realisation that we have just lost an entire generation of club culture in 1 massive swoop. Jack.Trent. Dimma - all at effectively once. And we are replacing them with nothing, as we have no picks. No one, outside perhaps Baker, stood up in any real leadership capacity this year. We will need someone who can understand where our club has been, gone and are. I think Newman will be able to handle those intangible elements around our recent identity crisis as a club. Yze seems more accomplished overall - but lacks the charisma and passion Richmond people need to see in their people. Newman will have a calming affect on this group i think. We will need to make sure we get him REAL assistant coaches with real chops though, for it to work we would need to get him an assistant team that will look like the best in the business within 2-3 years.
Newman is the obvious choice by default. Absolutely mesmerizing that it's come down to this.

* me how long is this taking
“Look, I’m not committing to any timelines but we would ideally like to have something done before the end of the season,” Gale revealed on AFL 360 on first Wednesday of July.

So Chief, by your definition, the situation where two weeks after would be:

a) less than ideal,
b) far from ideal
c) really doesn't matter because we were always just going to appoint Mini.

“Look, I’m not committing to any timelines but we would ideally like to have something done before the end of the season,” Gale revealed on AFL 360 on first Wednesday of July.

So Chief, by your definition, the situation where two weeks after would be:

a) less than ideal,
b) far from ideal
c) really doesn't matter because we were always just going to appoint Mini.

The season ends after the grand final

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I remember when Dimma racked off media were applauding the timing as it would allow a thorough process - and also commented what a 'plum' role it would be seen as for any prospective candidates...

Is it just me or do all of the so called final short listers appear very 'vanilla'?

I'm not very inspired by any of them tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back