Training Richmond 2020 Preseason training

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish I shared your confidence and I pray you’re right.

Sadly I’m more in this camp. It won’t take much of a negative impact on his reflexes to impact his afl career Without impacting his day to day life at all.

the flip side tho, maybe he has been hindered by the brain bleed and has more upside.
Wishing Jack all the best regardless. He’s a top kid and deserves a long career.
I hope he's got some steel plates in his head...

On the untouched side of my head...I can rub my fingers on the scalp as hard as I want....it feels like the scalp is superglued to the skull.

But on the side that was opened up...the scalp was peeled off of the skull, i'd have to be careful...it feels like the scalp hasn't quite 100% reattached itself to the skull...now extrapolate that onto the field of a full contact sport. I think the biggest hurdle is the confidence of playing football with a crack in your head. Of course I'd wish Higgo the best and hope hes makes a 100% recovery and back kicking GOTYs...but I would never ever think any less of him if he says...nah...I value my health and I'm not gonna risk it playing footy anymore.

just FYI, after the surgery...you have to take medications...including steroids, naturally he won't be banned for this...and the meds make you have constipations!!.

On CJ, surely he gets a run in the first pre-season match like Balta did last year. Like Balta, a good game and he gets a chance as the forward/ruck in the early season.

We saw last year that we need to fire post-bye but can afford a bit of trial and error in the early weeks.

CJ offers more than Nank or Soldo up forward already and isn't too far behind Nank on tapwork. Could jump ahead in his own right by mid-season.

On the untouched side of my head...I can rub my fingers on the scalp as hard as I want....it feels like the scalp is superglued to the skull.

But on the side that was opened up...the scalp was peeled off of the skull, i'd have to be careful...it feels like the scalp hasn't quite 100% reattached itself to the skull...now extrapolate that onto the field of a full contact sport. I think the biggest hurdle is the confidence of playing football with a crack in your head. Of course I'd wish Higgo the best and hope hes makes a 100% recovery and back kicking GOTYs...but I would never ever think any less of him if he says...nah...I value my health and I'm not gonna risk it playing footy anymore.

just FYI, after the surgery...you have to take medications...including steroids, naturally he won't be banned for this...and the meds make you have constipations!!.
Steroids for appetite?!? or steroids for muscles?!?!
And pain killers too make you constipated...

Gees man I had no idea you had been through it. Hopefully you’re ok now.
thanks for sharing.
To be honest at the beginning of December if you’d told me one of our guys would retire before Christmas; I’d have had my money on Jack.

Man, you are so brave Captcha. I seriously wish you best recovery ever!
Thanks heaps...well that's my lot in life I guess...funny that that scar has been very useful....everytime I reply to posts with venom...before I post, I rub the scar a few times...then calmly go back and edit out all the venom...works everytime.

Gees man I had no idea you had been through it. Hopefully you’re ok now.
thanks for sharing.
To be honest at the beginning of December if you’d told me one of our guys would retire before Christmas; I’d have had my money on Jack.

Jack Graham that is.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nank and Soldo will both play second fiddle to CCJ in another season. The vultures will be circling if he doesn't get games this year. He has hands like buckets.
I agree... really Adelaide or port are gonna throw the sink at him..

he’s a jet about to explode in next couple years I’m sure of it.. he’s a natural footballer with amazing contested marking skills.. they are prized animals in afl and we need to keep him!

Thanks heaps...well that's my lot in life I guess...funny that that scar has been very useful....everytime I reply to posts with venom...before I post, I rub the scar a few times...then calmly go back and edit out all the venom...works everytime.

Sounds like you just made something good from a challenging situation! Great approach, love it:clapping::clapping:

On CJ, surely he gets a run in the first pre-season match like Balta did last year. Like Balta, a good game and he gets a chance as the forward/ruck in the early season.

We saw last year that we need to fire post-bye but can afford a bit of trial and error in the early weeks.

CJ offers more than Nank or Soldo up forward already and isn't too far behind Nank on tapwork. Could jump ahead in his own right by mid-season.
Could be interesting to see who plays preseason last year we went with close to full strength for both preseason games.
With Nank’s groin issues he’ll probably get nursed through the season so you’d reckon CJ and Chol will get their chances

d2fe6406-3574-4306-98d7-d4dc3a73046e.jpg

This is a criminally underrated post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing with young kids is you don't know how they are going to end up. Astbury was going to be a Key Forward - kicked 3 goals in his first game and we thought he was going to be great. Jack was far too small to play as a key forward - we were told. Catagna was a Half-back flanker. Vlastuin was a gun mid (remember how much we continually screamed for him to go into the middle) - who knew he would be a great intercept marker? Caddy was going to be a gun mid - whatever he is, it ain't that.

CCJ? Maybe he could play a tall marking forward - dunno until we try.
Balta? Absolutely no idea where he winds up.
Is Higgins a small forard or an inside mid?
And sometimes they just have to fit into an existing structure.

I was very impressed with Soldo's ruck work last year. Having had undersized rucks for the last few years (Nank and Ivan), we have become used to doing the 'Bobby Skilton' - roving to the opposition tap. But even with losing the clearances on a regular basis, we have still been pretty good the last few years :cool:.

In 2019 we won the clearances in 5 of 25 games. In 2018 we won the clearances in 4 of 24 games. But we won 38 of those 49 games.

Nank is far better around the ground - big strong body. Very, very valuable player. Also - very prone to clangers. What I would like to see is a +/- for both players in the games they played together (+/- is measure of how the team goes when you are on the field. eg - Nank plays the first quarter - we win that by 6 points. Soldo plays the 2nd - we lose that by 4. Nank is +6, Soldo gets -4.) Yes there are some issues with +/- (it's mostly a basketball stat, where one player can make a huge difference), and we probably don't have enough data to make meaningful conclusions.

TL;DR - I can see Soldo taking the No 1 spot - maybe.
Agreed. I thought our centre square set up worked better when Soldo was in there, and he is getting more of the ball more often particularly his marks.

I can just see one commentator like Dwayne say during a game without thinking it through " What a goal by higgins, I tell you what Bruce, with the game he has played today, I have higgins in my brain!"
Interviewed Blight today, both were bemoaning sides being defensive & saying someone has to start attacking at some stage etc, they still haven't clicked!

Just to think ten years ago there was no competiton for spots. Now you find it hard to slot blokes in. Delicious

I still get surprised by how many obvious quality AFL players we can't fit into the team with a fully fit squad. If fit and in form our VFL midfield will be AFL quality - perhaps not great AFL quality, but competitive. I doubt any other team can say that.

I still get surprised by how many obvious quality AFL players we can't fit into the team with a fully fit squad. If fit and in form our VFL midfield will be AFL quality - perhaps not great AFL quality, but competitive. I doubt any other team can say that.

you obviously haven’t been to the Carlton board lately ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Richmond 2020 Preseason training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back