Richmond are being Typically STUPID

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 28, 2004
Other Teams
Richmond
As per usual we are being stupid with the Ottens trade.

If as is suggested Geelong are offering Tenace, and pick 16, why would we not take that...
It gives us a speedy youngster and picks 1, 4, 16, 20 in the draft...

Tenace is a known quantity, when a draft pick always carries an element of risk..

IE
Fiora
Pettifer

Long live the Spoon said:

If as is suggested Geelong are offering Tenace, and pick 16, why would we not take that...

Tenace is a known quantity, when a draft pick always carries an element of risk..

IE
Fiora
Pettifer

If your going to make sense, please take the word "Richmond" off your user profile.

:D

FWIW I think Greg "Greed is Good" Miller is simply holding off trying to get the most he possibly can for Otto, and as one by one the suitors drop out or are culled by Otto (like he did with the Roos) his price will slowly come back into the realms of realism and the above trade might not be far off where it actually ends up.

It will be interesting to see what the end result is if for instance, Sydney were able to come up with a deal that sends Jolly up to Sin City and Richmond had just the one club as a realistic trade option......

IE
Fiora
Pettifer
Tend to agree to a point.
maybe Miller is just waiting who the cats offer to trade for a top 10 pick and then pounce ;)

cheers!

IE
Fiora
Pettifer

Where has it been suggested that Tenace was offered. If that was the case, Geelong would've snapped up pick 7 and the deal would be done and dusted.

Pedro said:
Where has it been suggested that Tenace was offered. If that was the case, Geelong would've snapped up pick 7 and the deal would be done and dusted.
Well tenace,s name has been linked with essendon :eek: in the carr/freo deal.
i agree with you tho.if Geelong gave up Tenace it would be to the pies.

cheers!

If (and that is a BIG IF) any of Bartel, Kelly or Tenace are eventually used by Geelong to obtain an early draft pick then my team would be absolute idiots not to have taken any of these three players instead of a draft pick. What we are crying out for is class in the midfield.

I would lose any confidence in Miller and Co if this was to happen.

That being said, all we can do is wait and see.

Syd said:
FWIW I think Greg "Greed is Good" Miller is simply holding off trying to get the most he possibly can for Otto, and as one by one the suitors drop out or are culled by Otto (like he did with the Roos) his price will slowly come back into the realms of realism and the above trade might not be far off where it actually ends up.

It will be interesting to see what the end result is if for instance, Sydney were able to come up with a deal that sends Jolly up to Sin City and Richmond had just the one club as a realistic trade option......

Hey Syd!

Hate to do this fella, but I couldn't disagree more.

It's like selling a house - the more people who are interested, fighting each other to buy, the further the price will go up. If the number of suitors diminishes, so too does the reserve.
FWIW, imo, Richmond should take that deal (pick 16 and Tenace) in a heartbeat. Tenace went pick 7 last year? His image hasn't been tarnished at all this season, so he would be still somewhere around the mark atm. As mentioned, it still leaves them 4 picks in the top 20 - plenty to pick up a couple of KPP in the draft. But the longer the Tiges leave it, and the more clubs drop off, the harder it will be to get the deal they are after, even if they have set the heights higher than they realistically think they will achieve.

Ramma said:
Hey Syd!

Hate to do this fella, but I couldn't disagree more.

It's like selling a house - the more people who are interested, fighting each other to buy, the further the price will go up. If the number of suitors diminishes, so too does the reserve.
FWIW, imo, Richmond should take that deal (pick 16 and Tenace) in a heartbeat. Tenace went pick 7 last year? His image hasn't been tarnished at all this season, so he would be still somewhere around the mark atm. As mentioned, it still leaves them 4 picks in the top 20 - plenty to pick up a couple of KPP in the draft. But the longer the Tiges leave it, and the more clubs drop off, the harder it will be to get the deal they are after, even if they have set the heights higher than they realistically think they will achieve.

Nah its OK to disagree. But it didn't really sound like you did...

I said:
“as one by one the suitors drop out or are culled by Otto (like he did with the Roos) his price will slowly come back into the realms of realism.”

You said:
“If the number of suitors diminishes, so too does the reserve.”

What Miller had hoped for was the high degree of interest turning into a bidding war much like a house that sells well above its reserve. This hasn't eventuated partly due to;

1. Ottens placing Geelong & Sydney as clubs of choice,
2. Ottens ruling out the Kangaroos, and
3. Geelong's insistence to not pay over the odds.

Where they find themselves now is where the bidding has stalled short of the reserve, and they need to reassess, BEFORE Sydney's out of the picture completely if they need to lower their asking price to get the quick sale.

As we both said, once Sydney's out of the equation, there's less pressure on Geelong to pay the higher price.

I too think if they are offered the pick and Tenace they should snap it up as Tenace is as good as a top-10 pick IMHO.

Ramma, you are correct in thinking that the trade is like selling a house, but with the way that the ottens saga has gone, its more like an auction, where the reserve has been set. If richmond dont get what they want, they will put a new contract to otto, or pick him up in the psd. Richmond hold all the cards on this....... Except the ace ;)

Syd said:
Nah its OK to disagree.

What Miller had hoped for was the high degree of interest turning into a bidding war much like a house that sells well above its reserve. This hasn't eventuated partly due to;

1. Ottens placing Geelong & Sydney as clubs of choice,
2. Ottens ruling out the Kangaroos, and
3. Geelong's insistence to not pay over the odds.

Where they find themselves now is where the bidding has stalled short of the reserve, and they need to reassess, BEFORE Sydney's out of the picture completely if they need to lower their asking price to get the quick sale.

As we both said, once Sydney's out of the equation, there's less pressure on Geelong to pay the higher price.

I too think if they are offered the pick and Tenace they should snap it up as Tenace is as good as a top-10 pick IMHO.
Tenace is much better than a top 10 pick and that being the case please, please cats don't trade him.

They want the top 10 pick to pick up one of the decent ruckman in the draft. Basicly adelaide and carlton are sure to get one each, and there is only 3 there so they need a top 10 to ensure they get one, with picks 14 and 16 they wont. Its as simple as that and thats why they'll stand firm on there top 10 pick demand

Thats why they'd rather pick 7 to tenace also, they'll get there young midfeilder in deludio so they want the pick for the ruckman because they'll be taking the 2 best players with picks 1 and 4 they wont waste one on the ruckman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rUsTy_mAgPiE said:
They want the top 10 pick to pick up one of the decent ruckman in the draft. ....

....because they'll be taking the 2 best players with picks 1 and 4 they wont waste one on the ruckman

Then thats a choice that they have to make it seems, as it isn't looking too promising for Geelong to get them the other top-10 pick they are wanting.

I would happily take Tenace if he was offered along with 16, and I'm sure Miller would as well, but I doubt it has actually been put on the table yet. The only advantage for taking a high pick instead of Tenace would be that it would help more salary cap wise and it would allow us to pick up players in this draft that we need ie one of the ruckmen available. Either way I would be happy.

Syd said:
Or disagrees with me! ;)

Is the beer still cold down there??

I'm hoping to get back that way, probably in November....

Beers is always cold down here, Syd!!

When in November? Will be at Stakes Day at Flemington (6th).....????
PM me when you get a chance.....

Ramma said:
Beers is always cold down here, Syd!!

When in November? Will be at Stakes Day at Flemington (6th).....????
PM me when you get a chance.....

Nah, probably more towards the end of the month. I need a few days away but being in Melbourne during Spring Carnival gets a touch too expensive for me!!!

I'll let you know as soon as I've got the dates in mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond are being Typically STUPID

Remove this Banner Ad

Back