nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Got our ruckman Last year.

Needed midfielders and got them in Johnson dual premiership player and blumfield (premiership player? haven't checked). Both young and proven at the elite level.
Lost pick 4 gained pick 14. So still got round one pick.,
Can anyone please explain how we could have lost.

WE GOT WHAT WE WANTED
Bring on 2003.
A fit Holland,Hilton and Dragga.

Plus a Full year for Richo and ottens.

Wooden spooners. yeh right.

cos

The reaon I think you lost is that you have a bad list that needs a complete over-haul and you are still messing around when you need to bite the bullett and draft kids.

Originally posted by nut

Needed midfielders and got them in Johnson dual premiership player and blumfield (premiership player? haven't checked). Both young and proven at the elite level.

WE GOT WHAT WE WANTED
Bring on 2003.

Maybe , seems strange though to get blumfield when we have so many outside receiver types as it is. We should have tradfed someone like Tivendale for a draft pick or harder player to make up for it.

Originally posted by nut

WE GOT WHAT WE WANTED
Bring on 2003.

I think Danny Frawley said something similar last year before the Essendon game in rd 2 "fitter, bigger, stronger...??"

Rest is history:D

Originally posted by nut

Needed midfielders and got them in Johnson dual premiership player and blumfield (premiership player? haven't checked).
Yes, blumfield is a Premiership player. And was very close to best on ground in 2000. I think you've done well to pick him up for selection no. 30 in what is supposed to be a weak draft.

Re: cos

Originally posted by morgoth
The reaon I think you lost is that you have a bad list that needs a complete over-haul and you are still messing around when you need to bite the bullett and draft kids.

Johnson an dual premiership player at 24
Blumfield a premiership player, a veteran of 129 games who is not even 25 until November.

Call that messing around do you. draft kids all you wont. In These two you don't have to wait around for 3 years before they repay you.
And we still have pick 14.

Richmond seem to have regained the purpose and direction that was sorely missing during this season.

No doubt that the off-field cleanout has already started to pay dividends on the field.

Richmond have done very well.....it is quite abvious tho that they are aiming for a flag in the next 3 years and not in the next 5 or 6.......their window is just opening and if they have a good run with injuries and Blumfield and Johnson blossom in their new surrounds then they will go pretty close this year..

Having swiftly looked at all the trades and thought about the lists, I'd say that Richmond and Adelaide are the two clubs who are most gambling on a flag in the next 2 years - ie they may have sacrificed long term health for a short term payoff (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Voice of Reason
Having swiftly looked at all the trades and thought about the lists, I'd say that Richmond and Adelaide are the two clubs who are most gambling on a flag in the next 2 years - ie they may have sacrificed long term health for a short term payoff (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that).

You make it sound like the two are over the hill. THEY ARE 24 YEARS OLD.
I dont see it as a gamble. Picking untried 17 year olds in the draft is a bigger gamble surely.

Re: Re: cos

Originally posted by nut

Johnson an dual premiership player at 24
Blumfield a premiership player, a veteran of 129 games who is not even 25 until November.

Call that messing around do you. draft kids all you wont. In These two you don't have to wait around for 3 years before they repay you.
And we still have pick 14.

Yep.

I said if the Tigers traded pick 4 they'd be heavily scrutinized regarding their sanity, but they've come out of this looking like very slick operators.

Blumfield is a superb signing and all the Tigers gave away was fresh air!

Johnson will prove a shrewd pick up and the Tigers still have picks to spare.

This is big year for Frawley. Clearly he believes the Tigers are a top 8, possibly top 4 team.

I tell ya, I came out of this trade period eating humble pie after seeing the Tigers 'win' yet still lose pick 4!

Well done Tiges, with your recruits and Ben Holland a potential recruit you should do well in 2003.

One thing puzzles me though. Torney was off loaded for salary cap concerns and I assume Richo got somewhere near what he was asking for. With Blumfield and Johnson you must be close to the limit.

Originally posted by nut
You make it sound like the two are over the hill. THEY ARE 24 YEARS OLD.
I dont see it as a gamble. Picking untried 17 year olds in the draft is a bigger gamble surely.

I don't know them, so can't say, but I don't know how hungry for success they are. They've both played a lot of footy and had the advantage of being (in both Premiership cases) surrounded by stars. It'll be interesting to see how they go - I'm not saying it's a bad thing to pick up Johnson & Blumfield necessarily - it may work out. Even with Johnson, though, you're still a tough midfielder or two short.

Watch for some further delisting of uncontracted players.
We also had a few retiring.
Torney might have been on about the same money as Blumfield?

Richo got quite a bit less as a base deal (performance payments may account for some more), we are no longer paying for that ridiculous Nick Daffy deal, Campbell's on the veteran list, Knighter has left the building and a few stagglers will be discarded.

Of course, torney has gone too, so in all, the purse strings were loosened somewhat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond Big winners

Remove this Banner Ad

Back