Preview Richmond Board Draft - Official Picks Version

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting yet good selection _RT_ , if given the choice who would you take out of Salem, Scharenberg and Freeman?

The only real weakness I see in Boyd is that he isn't very quick so he will struggle for separation at AFL level, but he is just so strong this shouldn't be an issue.

Someone must have made that comment and everyone has chosen to repeat it. He ran 2.95 for 20m with the AIS. He is one of the quickest players in the draft. If he had been fit enough to test at the Combine, and had repeated that preseason time, he would have been in the top 10% for all comers.

Someone must have made that comment and everyone has chosen to repeat it. He ran 2.95 for 20m with the AIS. He is one of the quickest players in the draft. If he had been fit enough to test at the Combine, and had repeated that preseason time, he would have been in the top 10% for all comers.
Who cares about sprint times. Same time as Jetta. Next you will tell me he has Jetta's pace lol

Interesting yet good selection _RT_ , if given the choice who would you take out of Salem, Scharenberg and Freeman?

I'm a fan of all 3 and it depends on what we were confident of getting from each one as to who I would take.

With Scharenberg, if we thought we could turn him into a Pavlich type of player then I'd take him without hesitation. A 190cm player who could be just as good through the midfield as he is playing as a KPF would be some sort of weapon to have at your disposal.

With Salem we're getting a consistent week to week performer who is going to do his job each week, may not be a game changer like Freeman is with his pace. If Scharenberg was gone then I'd go with Salem over Freeman.

Freeman as I mentioned is a game changer with his pace and endurance but he also brings inconsistency to the table, so you have to accept that at the start as the kid develops other areas of his game. That being said if he does develop, fair chance he would with us given our investment in development coaches, having a player who Knightmare describes as a mixture of Dangerfield and Judd would be something special to have alongside Cotchin Deledio & Martin.

Currently Scharenberg but I reserve the right to change. Tough one.

Im really starting to warm to Blake Acres Tigs - If not for his shoulder injuries this year could of been up there with Scharenberg,Bontempelli

Whats your ranking on Acres and opinions of him at the Tigers with #12

Im really starting to warm to Blake Acres Tigs - If not for his shoulder injuries this year could of been up there with Scharenberg,Bontempelli

Whats your ranking on Acres and opinions of him at the Tigers with #12
Off top of head I've got him 8th. Pretty much level with Scharenberg and miles above bontempelli.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#14 GWS - Billy Hartung (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 176cm, Weight: 71kg, DOB: 24/01/1995
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays

Profile courtesy of Knightmare
Profile: Hartung is one of if not the elite runner of this draft. Has a 16+ beep and just goes all day. His real point of difference is his breakaway speed, Hartung breaks away from every contest and really takes on the game and any time he gets ball in hand looks to go and cover 30m through his run and carry knowing that that’s how he’s best going to put his stamp on the game. He’s also a very high production player who finds the ball so easily. Very willing tackler. Hartung is also a very clean user of the footy by both hand and foot but particularly damaging by foot with his penetration and ability to hit the scoreboard. At his size he likely always remains an outside player and is most likely to find a role for a team in a forward half his lack of height and size may not be get as exposed.

Why: GWS already boast a talented midfield line including Kelly but what they lack is that explosive small who can use the ball well and sneak in a goal two. GWS would have the luxury to let him develop in the twos for a year or two. When he bulks up a little i can see him being used outside of the packs to burst down the ground 20-30m and kick it down Pattons and Camerons throat. He will also be very damaging at the feet of Patton and Cameron. Garlett would suit this role perfect but dont think GWS are ready to take on a high risk high reward project.

It was difficult choice for GWS at pick#14 others considered Garlett, Acres, Crouch, Jones and Gardiner all very different roles and players.

No brainer for me

Pick 15 Sydney - Blake Acres
Mid/Fwd 189cm 84kg West Perth

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/blake-acres

The mysterious Blake Acres... One of the more intriguing prospects in this years draft pool, and one of my personal favourites. He didn't get a great deal of exposure at this year's Champs or WAFL Colts level due to injury, which is disappointing, but managed to showcase his abilities very well considering his limited opportunities. He played through injury at the Champs, dislocating his shoulder several times but played through the pain which is a testament to his character. As a result he probably didn't perform up to his usual standard but obviously with good reason. He averaged 27 disposals and a goal per game at WAFL Colts level which is more an indication of his usual, unhindered output. He's classy, tall, athletic, highly skilled, has a big tank and is very smart; there are very few weaknesses to his game if any at all, he's a very well rounded player. He spent a fair bit of his time of a forward flank this year where he was able to showcase his strong marking and pinpoint delivery inside 50 as well as his outside ball winning ability (more so in the champs), though he spent some time in the centre square playing as a genuine tall mid at Colts level which he seemed to relish, showing a bit of appetite for the contest which is a huge plus for someone of his dimensions. I see him becoming a more athletic version of Josh Kennedy for the Swans or perhaps a David Mundy style midfielder eventually. Though he's not particularly experienced as an inside mid, he's said himself he thoroughly enjoys winning his own ball so he's certainly got the attitude required to become a genuine inside/outside hybrid beast, with the added ability to rest forward or back as required, which is a handy trait for a midfielder to possess what with the inevitable arrival of interchange caps. The only concern I have of course is his shoulder, which I'm not even hugely worried about as the original injury was the result of impact rather than a genetic weakness, and it kept recurring in the champs because he opted to delay surgery as a) he wasn't 100% sure he'd shown enough to ensure he'd be drafted and b) he wasn't at risk of doing any further structural damage, so he played through the pain instead.

Why Sydney? It's a case of best available at the Sydney table, would happily take Blake with a top 10 pick so very happy to land him at 15. Every team could use a few of his type.

You're up Calcium Man

No brainer for me

Pick 15 Sydney - Blake Acres
Mid/Fwd 189cm 84kg West Perth

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/blake-acres

The mysterious Blake Acres... One of the more intriguing prospects in this years draft pool, and one of my personal favourites. He didn't get a great deal of exposure at this year's Champs or WAFL Colts level due to injury, which is disappointing, but managed to showcase his abilities very well considering his limited opportunities. He played through injury at the Champs, dislocating his shoulder several times but played through the pain which is a testament to his character. As a result he probably didn't perform up to his usual standard but obviously with good reason. He averaged 27 disposals and a goal per game at WAFL Colts level which is more an indication of his usual, unhindered output. He's classy, tall, athletic, highly skilled, has a big tank and is very smart; there are very few weaknesses to his game if any at all, he's a very well rounded player. He spent a fair bit of his time of a forward flank this year where he was able to showcase his strong marking and pinpoint delivery inside 50 as well as his outside ball winning ability (more so in the champs), though he spent some time in the centre square playing as a genuine tall mid at Colts level which he seemed to relish, showing a bit of appetite for the contest which is a huge plus for someone of his dimensions. I see him becoming a more athletic version of Josh Kennedy for the Swans or perhaps a David Mundy style midfielder eventually. Though he's not particularly experienced as an inside mid, he's said himself he thoroughly enjoys winning his own ball so he's certainly got the attitude required to become a genuine inside/outside hybrid beast, with the added ability to rest forward or back as required, which is a handy trait for a midfielder to possess what with the inevitable arrival of interchange caps. The only concern I have of course is his shoulder, which I'm not even hugely worried about as the original injury was the result of impact rather than a genetic weakness, and it kept recurring in the champs because he opted to delay surgery as a) he wasn't 100% sure he'd shown enough to ensure he'd be drafted and b) he wasn't at risk of doing any further structural damage, so he played through the pain instead.

Why Sydney? It's a case of best available at the Sydney table, would happily take Blake with a top 10 pick so very happy to land him at 15. Every team could use a few of his type.

You're up Calcium Man

How did i know that you would be the 1 that would Ruin My Plans GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Pick 16 - Geelong
Cameron McCarthy – South Fremantle / 195cm / 89kg

Cam is the 2nd (3rd if you count hogan) best KPF in this draft year, but also the most raw. His kicking is a bit ungainly and probably needs a bit of correction but the other raw elements you want in a key forward are there and then some. He attacks the ball hard in the air and flies for anything he can get to, he is a very good mark of the ball and reaches for it at its highest point and if he isn't going to mark it he is going to bring it to ground. He seems pretty reasonable at ground level, not McBean amazing but solid enough. He makes up for that with his frenetic pressure and defensive work in the forward line, reminds a bit of Jack when he is at his best and constantly harassing defenders in the forward 50 and winning HTB decisions. The big mark and goal against country really stood out for me, big game and big moment players at any level are impressive and that showed he has great intestinal fortitude a very important characteristic for clubs and a players ability to develop IMO. Not to mention the headband is going to catch the umpires eye so he'll grab plenty of brownlow votes and suggest a kid with a bit of look at me attitude i reckon similar to Jack. ;)

His weaknesses are obviously his kicking action, he kicks enough goals but can also miss some easy ones and his field kicking is a bit scratchy. Also his body work needs to improve in a one on one situation, but be careful if you let him fly into a pack, and just in general learning when and where to lead. But he is such a raw kid and from what i understand really only took up football this year. He didnt have a preseason and came from nowhere to make the State squad. He also probably hasn't had as much gym work and physical conditioning as most draftee's which suggest a big scope of improvement.

Why the cats? Looking over their list there is dearth of talented talls. I would have taken Acres and Dunstan first as you can't say no to talent but I'd probably rate McCarthy at 9 or 10 on my list in my head (don't write it down like the proper experts). Who knows when Hawkins gets back or even if gets close to his best again, Walker and Vardy are more ruck/forwards and i don't really rate Walker and Kertsen is more of a lead up third tall. Cats have gathered plenty of good young mids like Guthrie, Duncan, Christensen, Motlop, Menzel, Horlin-smith and Caddy so a quality tall is need for these guys to kick.

I thought a bit about Gardiner but you have to go tall forward over tall back, Lewis Taylor was another consideration being a Falcon but i just worry about his height and if his game will translate as well to AFL level as a Prestia who is bit more of a crash in type player, Dumont was my other choice and i would have him ahead of few already selected. especially after his SANFL finals and Grand Final, but he just is not anywhere near as pressing a need for the Cats. You could make an argument for waiting till next year but you'll be left waiting an extra year for a KPF and there is nothing to stop two quality ones working in the same forward line.

You're up THE_GUN

#17 - Fremantle

Lewis Taylor (Midfield -173cm 74kgs)
Best available selection with this pick for the Dockers as my preffered selection was 'Stolen' From me 2 picks ago but the Dockers are extremely happy with Lewie Taylor and will post the desription from Knightmare as its the a hell of alot better than i can manage at 2:30am waiting for Calcium man to tag me :p

Taylor is a small midfielder with crazy explosive pace and the ability to break away from contests, break the lines and use his agility to sidestep around opponents effortlessly. He can win his own footy as well as find plenty of it outside the contest and in the u18s is a big time accumulator. Excellent user of the footy on both sides and has the ability to do damage both through the midfield and up forward with his footskills finding targets but also finishing around goal. Just a shame he isn’t 10cm taller. The only issue I have with Taylor’s height is in his tackling game, he doesn’t provide enough tackling pressure and when he does he’s not strong enough to make those tackles stick.

Wake up tigs2010

#17 - Fremantle

Lewis Taylor (Midfield -173cm 74kgs)
Best available selection with this pick for the Dockers as my preffered selection was 'Stolen' From me 2 picks ago but the Dockers are extremely happy with Lewie Taylor and will post the desription from Knightmare as its the a hell of alot better than i can manage at 2:30am waiting for Calcium man to tag me :p

Taylor is a small midfielder with crazy explosive pace and the ability to break away from contests, break the lines and use his agility to sidestep around opponents effortlessly. He can win his own footy as well as find plenty of it outside the contest and in the u18s is a big time accumulator. Excellent user of the footy on both sides and has the ability to do damage both through the midfield and up forward with his footskills finding targets but also finishing around goal. Just a shame he isn’t 10cm taller. The only issue I have with Taylor’s height is in his tackling game, he doesn’t provide enough tackling pressure and when he does he’s not strong enough to make those tackles stick.

Wake up tigs2010

Quality pick, if he was 10cm taller he would go top 5!

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Richmond Board Draft - Official Picks Version

Remove this Banner Ad

Back