Preview Richmond Board Draft - Official Picks Version

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't say I'm the most knowledgeable about the draft but I follow the publicly available footage and various bigfooty phantoms every year, so I'll pick for the druggies to keep this moving along if people are ok with that? Assuming Dice man is out of course.

Well it depends who you pick?? If say its someone i rate at the lower end of the draft i'm okay with it but if its who i want with my next pick then you're out ;)

Can't say I'm the most knowledgeable about the draft but I follow the publicly available footage and various bigfooty phantoms every year, so I'll pick for the druggies to keep this moving along if people are ok with that? Assuming Dice man is out of course.

Welcome aboard.

Hmmmm, decisions, but

Pick 27: Gold Coast Select:

Daniel McStay (VIC – KPP)
Height: 193cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 24/06/1995
Recruited from: Eastern Ranges
Style: Jarrad Waite
Player comparison:
Range: 20-60
Profile: McStay is a tall who still seems to be growing into his body having grown significantly in recent seasons. Still a project player and still not a particularly physical or aggressive player by key position standards and is still developing that strength and ability 1v1 but in saying all this he has some real talent. McStay stands out with his versatility and small man skill set at his height. McStay is an excellent athlete and has some real linebreaking ability for a tall and isn’t afraid to take on the game. He’s also got a real leap on him which allows him to fly for some strong contested marks. He’s also an excellent kick at his height and hits his targets around the field and can convert from his set shot opportunities up forward. It’s unclear which end he settles into but given his strong improvement in recent seasons there is potential for him to continue his strong development at either end.

Why McStay: Plain and simple, I feel that Gold Coast need to develop a player to fill the role that Bock will vacate in the next couple of years, and feel that McStay is probably the best option at this point in time. McStay reminds me a fair bit of Dylan Grimes in that he is a perfect hybrid Lockdown/Rebounding defender, and can play both at a high level. He is more suited to locking down the small/medium forwards, until his strength builds and he can play on the Key Forwards, but McStay should be a valuable third tall, able to play off his opponent to lend a hand to his teammates, as well as taking intercept grabs. Very much a project player, and needs to work on his upper body strength, and tends to watch the play a bit too often, losing touch with his opponent.

Who Else I considered: Mitchell Harvey, Billy Hartung.

Tigerbob

Pick 28 - Darcy Hourigan - 191cm 92kg - South Adelaide

Competitive forward who is very dynamic and in a similar mold to Jack Darling. I think with Brisbane in the position they are in they need guys who love a contest and will provide impact straight away. Again here I have added a guy who can compete against men straight away. A full write up to follow but you can see the trend and types I wanted to inject into this Brisbane side. I think with the four selections so far a huge immediate and long term improvement has been added by the Lions.

Cevap_Roll

#29 GWS - Cameron Giles (SA – KPD)
Height: 195cm, Weight: 93kg, DOB: 5/05/1995
Recruited from: Woodville-West Torrens

Courtesy of Knightmare
Profile: After Darcy Gardiner, Giles is probably that next best key defender. Through the u18 champs he played mostly as more of a shutdown defender which I don’t feel is as much his game but as more a rebounding defender he can be a factor with his points of difference at his size being his vision and footskills. Giles makes the right decisions more often than not seeing the right target but then he executes his kicks finding the right target and can hit them up over a variety of distances. Giles has a tendency to play relatively unaccountable brand of footy allowing him to be a real factor on the rebound and make best use of his ability by foot.

Why GWS: GWS could use a key defender to develop in their back line and with Giles rated number 2 in the draft at pick #29 this is a no brainer. In hindsight i could have gone Gardner at pick #14 and Kenedy-Haris at pick #29. All in all Giles could develop into as a good a defender if not better than Gardner he is 8kg heavier and 3cm taller. Doesnt count for everything but with the extra weight he could start playing early and being 3cm taller can see him holding that key position in 3-5 years.

Also looked at Jones at this pick but felt if anything GWS were ok at last season it was winning the clearances and stoppages.
TheAnt

#29 GWS - Cameron Giles (SA – KPD)
Height: 195cm, Weight: 93kg, DOB: 5/05/1995
Recruited from: Woodville-West Torrens

Courtesy of Knightmare
Profile: After Darcy Gardiner, Giles is probably that next best key defender. Through the u18 champs he played mostly as more of a shutdown defender which I don’t feel is as much his game but as more a rebounding defender he can be a factor with his points of difference at his size being his vision and footskills. Giles makes the right decisions more often than not seeing the right target but then he executes his kicks finding the right target and can hit them up over a variety of distances. Giles has a tendency to play relatively unaccountable brand of footy allowing him to be a real factor on the rebound and make best use of his ability by foot.

Why GWS: GWS could use a key defender to develop in their back line and with Giles rated number 2 in the draft at pick #29 this is a no brainer. In hindsight i could have gone Gardner at pick #14 and Kenedy-Haris at pick #29. All in all Giles could develop into as a good a defender if not better than Gardner he is 8kg heavier and 3cm taller. Doesnt count for everything but with the extra weight he could start playing early and being 3cm taller can see him holding that key position in 3-5 years.

Also looked at Jones at this pick but felt if anything GWS were ok at last season it was winning the clearances and stoppages.
DAMN IT MAN

#30 North Melbourne- Jay Kennedy-Harris
Contemplated with Garlett but decided Kennedy-Harris was more of a sure thing.
_kp_

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 11 - West Coast - Kade Kolodjashnij

Height - 191cm, Weight - 79kg

Rapt to get KK here. A bit of a Josh Drummond clone, he has one of the more cleaner and precise kicks in the draft. Very good intercept player and reader of the play. You want the ball in his hands at all times. Tested outstandingly in all apsects at the Combine, even running a sub 3 second 20m at 191cm.

Pick 31 - West Coast - Darcy Byrne-Jones

Height - 181cm, Weight - 70kg

Probably an overload on small defenders with Yeo, Hurn, and Waters but DBJ has the potential to play up the ground anyway with his outstanding engine. Ran a 15.2 beep and a sub 3 second 20m showcasing just how special an athlete he is. Don't be fooled by his size, DBJ is a competitive beast who rarely loses a contest and attacks everything with ferocity. He breaks the lines well and is a good kick of the ball. DBJ has shown brilliant defensive qualities and should become a really nice AFL player with all his attributes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Richmond Board Draft - Official Picks Version

Remove this Banner Ad

Back