Preview Richmond Board Draft - Official Picks Version

Remove this Banner Ad

I think so too. Could be a first round pick if you talk to some recruiters. Competitor. Hate harping on it but that's what I wanted from all my selections. Competitiveness, hard edge, win their own ball, good kicks and good characters.

If Brisbane drafted this in the real thing they would be not only delighted, but improved. All can play a major role next year and with the versatility of the Lions midfield adding these guys makes the rotation deep.

Christian Salem
Trent Dumont
Patrick Cripps
Darcy Hourigan
Michael Apeness
Zac Jones

Fantastic haul of good young men who want to win and have great attitude. With 6 picks inside 34 the Lions could do some damage.

#37 - Fremantle
Dwayne Wilson (SA – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 178cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 17/01/1995

Courtesy Knightmare

Dwayne Wilson is a very damaging outside player who you just want the ball in the hands of. Has some genuine linebreaking pace and really takes the game on but then also has the damaging footskills to go with it. Has some penetration on his kick and on a wing any time he gets forward of centre he loves a goal and generally hits the scoreboard really doing some damage. He will need to get stronger and start winning his own ball more as he can really go quiet for stretches of games and lack consistency from game to game but when he’s up and going he can get his hands on it he’ll break games open.

Original players wanted at this selection that went just before
Michael Apeness,James Tsitas,Zak Jones

Other players considered that were still available
Riley Knight, Mitchell Harvey, Nicholas Bourke

Really wanted a quality KPF and tossed up between Harvey & Wilson but finally decided to go with wilson

@Richo83

I think so too. Could be a first round pick if you talk to some recruiters. Competitor. Hate harping on it but that's what I wanted from all my selections. Competitiveness, hard edge, win their own ball, good kicks and good characters.

If Brisbane drafted this in the real thing they would be not only delighted, but improved. All can play a major role next year and with the versatility of the Lions midfield adding these guys makes the rotation deep.

Christian Salem
Trent Dumont
Patrick Cripps
Darcy Hourigan
Michael Apeness
Zac Jones

Fantastic haul of good young men who want to win and have great attitude. With 6 picks inside 34 the Lions could do some damage.

Really interested in hearing your reasoning behind Apeness.

Love the rest of the picks, particularly Dumont and Jones.

#37 - Fremantle
Dwayne Wilson (SA – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 178cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 17/01/1995

Courtesy Knightmare

Dwayne Wilson is a very damaging outside player who you just want the ball in the hands of. Has some genuine linebreaking pace and really takes the game on but then also has the damaging footskills to go with it. Has some penetration on his kick and on a wing any time he gets forward of centre he loves a goal and generally hits the scoreboard really doing some damage. He will need to get stronger and start winning his own ball more as he can really go quiet for stretches of games and lack consistency from game to game but when he’s up and going he can get his hands on it he’ll break games open.

Original players wanted at this selection that went just before
Michael Apeness,James Tsitas,Zak Jones

Other players considered that were still available
Riley Knight, Mitchell Harvey, Nicholas Bourke

Really wanted a quality KPF and tossed up between Harvey & Wilson but finally decided to go with wilson

@Calcium Man

Not my turn its Richo_83

Really interested in hearing your reasoning behind Apeness.

I see him as a forward then Ruckman. With Brown retiring season after next the way of the world seems to have a 200cm tall who can compete and take a grab. I see Apeness as that. He really showed signs this year and he is a monster and even though he is a Ruckman second in my opinion I only will draft aggressive rucks in which he is.

At that selection I just had to shore up my really tall stocks. Losing Longer for Pick 25 for Cripps who is my favorite selection tbh, then getting in a more aggressive version in Apeness is a win.

By that stage I had got three ready to go midfielders and a dynamic forward so knowing I was getting Jones, I had to grab Apeness.

I have analyzed the Brisbane list even more than our own. Which is why I wanted them.[/quote][/quote]

ISAIAH MILLER

DOB: 3/7/195
Club: Bendigo Pioneers
Height: 187cm
Weight: 82kgs

Miller is a prototypical modern HFB. He's got a nice height which allows him to play on smalls and talls. What stands out about Miller's game is his kicking skills. Miller has a very nice feel for his kicks, and makes very good decisions coming out of half back. I felt like Bendigo looked to him in the defensive part of the ground to get them out of trouble, and Miller's good decision making skills helped Bendigo escape trouble regularly. I noticed that Miller often took the kick ins for both Bendigo and Vic Country, and that's generally a good sign of a good defensive kick. I also noticed that he generally made good decisions in his kick ins, and varied his kick choices to make him unpredictable.

Miller is also a fairly good read of the ball, and this allows him to read contests and impact them without putting his body on the line. Miller is not adverse to bodily contact, he's just fairly skinny and can't use his bulk to impact contests. However, when he's not required to use his bulk in defensive efforts, like when he's required to judge the footy on the ground or air, he uses his good reading of the play to swoop on the ball and clear it out. This reminds me of Birchall who uses his height and read of the play to clear the ball, not necessarily his bulk.

One thing which makes Miller a really exciting prospect is his endurance. I didn't think Miller had an amazing draft combine, but from what I've seen of him, Miller has good endurance for a HBF. He gets to pretty much all the contests he wants and provides good run outside, which shows that he is capable of covering most of the ground. Miller also likes to spread from the contest, and provides a good link to the midfield and forwardline once he moves up into the middle.
This makes him a really good prospect, not only is Miller capable of reading the play to clear the ball, he's always available to get that outside kick, which is generally precise, to deliver the ball to the midfield or up forward.

Miller's combination of height, kicking and endurance makes him a good prospect for HBF, but it also makes him a good prospect in terms of playing as an outside midfielder, or even a wingman. Miller is definitely tall enough to play that rangey wingman who gets it around 20 times a match, and because his kicking mechanics and vision is that good, he'll be able to deliver the ball well into the forwardline. This makes Miller an interesting prospect, not only is he capable of playing defensively, but he's capable of playing in a number of other areas of the ground, making him versatile. This will excite clubs who are looking for players who are versatile, given they can play a number of roles on the field and do not have to go to the bench. People have talked about Miller as a forward prospect given he's pushed forward and kicked a few goals as a forward, I'm not completely sold on Miller as say forward, given he hasn't played that much there. But it is possible. He's shown decent nous in front of goal when he's got near the goals, evidenced by the fact that he kicked 2 goals in a low scoring game against Oakleigh. Ultimately though, I think his ability to read the play makes him ideal to play a role behind the ball.

One of the problems with Miller is that he's not quick. He makes good decisions and reads the play quickly which means that his speed isn't that much of an issue. However, I do worry that at AFL level, he might be caught out going on those dashing runs. However, this is a minor issue, and I don't think it should impact on Miller's draft standing. Another problem with Miller is that sometimes, he can be too offensive, meaning he gets caught out not being in the right position. However, again, this is not a major issue, especially as clubs often need to teach young players defensive skills, given the TAC cup is mainly focused on showing off the players' talents, instead of teaching them defensive skills.

Why Hawthorn: Hawthorn have lost Guerra, who was one of their major rebounders this year. However, unlike Guerra, Miller is actually close to KPP height meaning he is capable of defending those 3rd talls and tallish HFFs. Miller is also very coachable, and is a precise kick, which will impress Clarkson.

Not my turn its Richo_83

By the way guys tagging someone only works if you get it absolutely right, the tagging system is fiddly but if you tag the wrong person or have a letter or number or whatever out, it wont tag me, and I get no notifications, it's why I got no notification. No stress and all, we just gotta follow bigfooty's tagging system fully so we can get this draft going. :thumbsu:

By the way guys tagging someone only works if you get it absolutely right, the tagging system is fiddly but if you tag the wrong person or have a letter or number or whatever out, it wont tag me, and I get no notifications, it's why I got no notification. No stress and all, we just gotta follow bigfooty's tagging system fully so we can get this draft going. :thumbsu:

Less excuses more picking thanks. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 40 belonging to Melbourne
Player- Toby Nankervis
Height- 199cm Weight- 101kg Club- North Launceston
The overage Tasmanian who won All- Australian honours at the State Champs was impressive for his state as he dominated the ruck for Tassie. At AFL he will not dominate the ruck yet he will provide value around the ground and gather possessions whilst also being competent up forward. A nice contested grab you would not rely on him cleaning up at ground level, he is a workhorse with a decent kick on him. Melbourne have Jamar who is declining as he ages whilst Fitzpatrick is more of a forward, the need for a 2nd ruck for the time being is a good fit for Toby as he can mature and progress whilst Jamar takes most of the ruckload in his early years.

Calcium Man

There's a few hidden gems still left. I have one guy who I had down my rankings previously but have decided to back my gut in and have moved him up into the teens and he hasn't gone yet. SA kid.
I think I may know who you're talking about..

There's a few hidden gems still left. I have one guy who I had down my rankings previously but have decided to back my gut in and have moved him up into the teens and he hasn't gone yet. SA kid.

I also think I know who you are talking about. Valued highly at the start of the year as a possible first rounder, in the mid to late teens, but has slipped, and some have him as a second rounder, and others as a third.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Richmond Board Draft - Official Picks Version

Remove this Banner Ad

Back