Unofficial Preview Richmond v Melbourne Casey Fields Saturday 4th March 4.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

So now our midfield isn't the issue it's the forwards, backs, rucks, coaches, bootstudder and the water boy.

People need to relax a bit, how many times have the eventual premiers looked shizen in pre-season games. Half our guys were still in Honolulu when other clubs were full swing into their pre-season. Being slow out of the blocks was to be expected, with an older list we're now more geared than ever towards making sure we're peaking at the right time.

One thing I will say but, that 5 year deal we gave Short is looking diabolical if we're committed to playing him where he sucks and isn't get any better. With Cotch not looking great as a pressure forward and Prestia probably out/late out for a while there's an opportunity to move back to Cotch in midfield, Rioli forward and Short half back. Team as a whole right now will be a lot better for those moves. I'm sure Dan is still capable of doing the job next to Maurice as a 1 goal a game pressure forward.

Won't happen though as Rioli's magnet is super glued to where he rejuvenated his career. Short is doomed to keep playing out of position and become the next whipping boy while Rioli will retire and be buried at half back. Just how it is

So now our midfield isn't the issue it's the forwards, backs, rucks, coaches, bootstudder and the water boy.

People need to relax a bit, how many times have the eventual premiers looked shizen in pre-season games. Half our guys were still in Honolulu when other clubs were full swing into their pre-season. Being slow out of the blocks was to be expected, with an older list we're now more geared than ever towards making sure we're peaking at the right time.

One thing I will say but, that 5 year deal we gave Short is looking diabolical if we're committed to playing him where he sucks and isn't get any better. With Cotch not looking great as a pressure forward and Prestia probably out/late out for a while there's an opportunity to move back to Cotch in midfield, Rioli forward and Short half back. Team as a whole right now will be a lot better for those moves. I'm sure Dan is still capable of doing the job next to Maurice as a 1 goal a game pressure forward.

Won't happen though as Rioli's magnet is super glued to where he rejuvenated his career. Short is doomed to keep playing out of position and become the next whipping boy while Rioli will retire and be buried at half back. Just how it is
Cotch is a better mid than Short, Short is equal if not better than Rioli as a half back flanker and Rioli is a better pressure forward than Cotchin and Short.

It's not where all three spent all summer training, but it's the the best option for the team to move them.

Rioli would relish the opportunity to play in the same forward line as Maurice. As a pair they can provide the forward pressure that we're lacking atm.

Cotch is a better mid than Short, Short is equal if not better than Rioli as a half back flanker and Rioli is a better pressure forward than Cotchin and Short.

It's not where all three spent all summer training, but it's the the best option for the team to move them.

Rioli would relish the opportunity to play in the same forward line as Maurice. As a pair they can provide the forward pressure that we're lacking atm.
I would throw Baker forward again
Rioli showed last year in his first year in the role that he could be in the top 3 if not the best half back in the comp

Moving Baker forward also opens up a spot for one of our younger small/medium defenders like Mansell or even Brown

Rioli showed last year in his first year in the role that he could be in the top 3 if not the best half back in the comp

Moving Baker forward also opens up a spot for one of our younger small/medium defenders like Mansell or even Brown
Rioli has worked out there but come on, need a few more drinks in me before I can go near him being one of the best in the comp. We forget Short won our B&F in a premiership year there and was in AA form there again last year before being moved out

Short a better rebounding defender than Rioli and Rioli is a far better forward than Short. For mine it's a no brainer to see what that looks like again. Baker should remain unchanged and keep playing the same role he looked a million dollars in yesterday

Rioli has worked out there but come on, need a few more drinks in me before I can go near him being one of the best in the comp. We forget Short won our B&F in a premiership year there and was in AA form there again last year before being moved out

Short a better rebounding defender than Rioli and Rioli is a far better forward than Short. For mine it's a no brainer to see what that looks like again. Baker should remain unchanged and keep playing the same role he looked a million dollars in yesterday
He made the all Australian squad in his first year playing the role and he’s just about to enter what are considered that sweet spot in terms of age/experience

Even if he makes no improvement on last years output he would be in all Australian contention again at the very least

He made the all Australian squad in his first year playing the role and he’s just about to enter what are considered that sweet spot in terms of age/experience

Even if he makes no improvement on last years output he would be in all Australian contention again at the very least
Short wasn't just in AA contention last year, he was probably the first picked half back in the comp through the first 6 rounds before getting moved

If we can't play both down back, and without taking anything away from Dan, I'm taking Short over him in that role every day of the week.

Cotchin needs to play in the midfield or not at all
Manage him like what the cats did with Selwood
J Clarke should play his forward role.
This is a great call, even just have him off the bench.

Clarke showed his ready and should play rd 1, whether that’s fed or wing, we just need to get him in.

The other thing the practice match might’ve exposed is the need still for a jack graham.

We need a mod that’s willing to do the shite stuff and actually pressure the opposition, he is still the best mid at this on the team.

Hopper and taranto deserve better than the pure shit our talls served up on saturday. Could see hopper shaking his head when nankervis would get ragdolled by gawn. Jack riewoldt needs to retire. Samson Ryan, Lynch and Soldo should be our rucks. Nank was shit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Short wasn't just in AA contention last year, he was probably the first picked half back in the comp through the first 6 rounds before getting moved

If we can't play both down back, and without taking anything away from Dan, I'm taking Short over him in that role every day of the week.
Dunno, theyre very different HBFers Dan and Short. If you want pure meters gained you pick Short. If you want line breaking and then delivery to an actual target you go Dan.

Na not for me. Baker is elite at mopping up the ground ball down back. We look a lot better with him and Balta staying at home.

Agree Shorts a longer kick Dan way more neat. Short needs to play wing imo and pump the ball deep into the fwd line
Agree with that one 100%
Short is that bloke we need to kick over the oppo zones for deep quick entry’s and Rioli playing that more traditional half back flanker role

Hopper and taranto deserve better than the pure s**t our talls served up on saturday. Could see hopper shaking his head when nankervis would get ragdolled by gawn. Jack riewoldt needs to retire. Samson Ryan, Lynch and Soldo should be our rucks. Nank was s**t.

He was shaking his head at the umpires, broad was also borderline laughing and shaking his head a couple of times

Na not for me. Baker is elite at mopping up the ground ball down back. We look a lot better with him and Balta staying at home.
Could just be a mindset shift we need with our smalls, get Cumbo to stop flying for marks every time and try and focus on the groundwork and defence efforts

Dimma said before the game that they were going to try a major game plan change during the preseason game. Now why I'm only using what I saw during the match, I think it was being more offensive around stoppages rather than defensive. I would imagine the thought was, we have two extra contested midfielders now so lets see if we can look to win the ball at the contest rather than seek to turn it over outside the contest. I don't think it worked.

I've mentioned this earlier but I think our midfield defense will suffer early on while Hopper and Taranto learn their new role and the enforces we place on defending and winning the ball back. This is only magnified if we move Cotchin from the midfield. He was or number one defensive midfielder around stoppages followed by Graham (who has also been moved out atm).

Cotchin's inclusion in the forwardline also reduces our speed and pressure in the F50. He has the desperate intent but lacks the closing speed and X-Factor to both lock the ball in the area and find the goals with minimal opportunities. MRJ's importance could never be greater and it is crucial that Cumberland, Martin, Bolton and any resting midfield, must prioritize pressuring and tackling. If not, the ball be rebound out of our forward this season just as quickly as it comes in.

For me, these preseason games are about experimenting with new toys rather than locking in a game plan. We have a long term game plan that is well established. These last two practice games are about trialing new 'teams', new roles, new combinations and new tactics. Some may not work but if any do, then it will only improve us further.

That's why I'm not worried about the weekends result and not worried about the preseason in general. We are all about the season proper so lets wait to see how we go in the H&A Season before we get too worried.

Dunno, theyre very different HBFers Dan and Short. If you want pure meters gained you pick Short. If you want line breaking and then delivery to an actual target you go Dan.
Short not being line breaking off half back is news to me. Dan the more accurate short kick I agree there

Short's delivery inside 50 last year playing midfield wasn't all I hoped it would be. Need him lacing out targets on the lead as opposed to just bombing it. The problem is he's not good with limited time and space like most traditional mids are, which is why he excels more down back where he has it

Playing Dees is excellent preparation cos they thoroughly test us and allow us to know exactly where we are at. We saw this level of form from the likes of them, Carlton and StKilda last year before they each fell right away. It's a bit of a marathon and finding form and health over last 7-8 rounds is key to making a run at the flag.

On CPH1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep tbh i have not really regained any of the lost enthusiasm from the joke which was last season with the clearly biased umpiring that was capped off with the Brisbane final

Makes me sad to say it, but i think my passion for other interest has surpassed my passion for the game, at least in any meaningful way. The umpiring and the style it has created has created a pretty ordinary product, especially to those of us that have been around long enough to remember what it used to be like.
So true...
Just love my gardening now with yellow flowers...the offal can ggf...

Weirdly enough I think we actually missed Castagna or at least another small forward putting in repeat defensive efforts

Rioli Jr was a solo act in that regard and put in the hard yards but when we have Bolton, Cumbo, Dusty and Juddy wno are all amazing players but very offensively minded it’s just tipped the scales a little to far

Throw in Cotch and Jack who just don’t have the pace anymore we are having oppo defenders creating a lot of time and space for themselves to transition and set up counter attacks

I think the backline issues will sort themselves out and our midfield held its own against one of the best in the comp so that’s very much a positive

Just that forward structure needs a little bit of tweeking imo

Might not be super popular but maybe shifting Baker into the forward line who can still win his own ball and be a threat around goals but really set up some defensive intent, also opens up a spot in the backline for someone like Brown who impressed last week

The FWD line wont work IMO

A players peak age is considered 27

Riewoldt - 34
Cotchin - (almost) 33
Dusty - 31
Lynch - 30
Bolton - 24
MRJ - 20
Cumberland - 21

Only Bolton is close to being at his peak, and even still he might be too soon, especially considering his inconsistency and at times, immaturity. For the rest, we are either too old or too young. Very hard to see how this FWD line will mesh.

I said it a lot last year, but i think these team has too many holes in it in regards to player either being too old, or too young. If we say that the peak age of a player ranges from 25 to 28, 29 - We only have the below players in that range

Vlaustin
Taranto
Baker
Rioli
Short
Soldo
Graham
KMac
Nank
Hopper
Presita

Of that listI think its safe to say. Nank & Prestia are so war-torn that we all accept they are certainly not at their peak. Soldo, Graham, KMac are questionably best 22 players. Taranto & Hopper both are obviously at their first year at the club (Prestia & Caddy proved this is possible, but it was very memorable and unusual)... meaning only defenders (sometimes midfielders) Rioli, Vlaustin, Baker & Short truely fit a "peak" criteria when considering whats required to get the ultimate success

To compare this to 2017 Richmond

Grimes 26
Prestia 25
Martin 26
Riewoldt 29
Cotchin 28
Edwards 29
Astbury 27
Houli 29
Rance 28
Caddy 25
Lambert 26
Griffiths 26
Miles 26
Lloyd 28
Conca 25
Broad 25

Add to that Vlaustin, B.Ellis, Townsend & KMac were all 24 & turned 25 during the season.

Our 2017 team felt like it "flew" up to the flag, but realistically we had several Hall of Famers in their peak with all the young guys only required to play "roles" ( Castagna, Butler, Rioli etc ).

.... the list balance just doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
crowds at 20 year low yet stand rule still exists

And evening up the comp by hobbling the best side and game plan that brought record crowds in the last few years...with weird rule changes...what other comp does that!?

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Richmond v Melbourne Casey Fields Saturday 4th March 4.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back