Richmond vs Essendon Reviews

Remove this Banner Ad

Post match reports/reviews in here.

Got to the ground about an hour before the game and after getting some food and a $4 bottle of water(the blokes knew they had it good so charged heaps) we found a position behind the southern goals, where the netting was for those who were there.

Starting lineup (from memory):

B: Farmer Gourdis Newman
HB: Moore McGuane Edwards
C: Tambling Jackson Cotchin
HF: Nason Riewoldt Hislop
F: Nahas Vickery Morton
R: Simmonds Deledio Martin
Bench: Browne Connors Roberts Taylor Polo Thomson

First Quarter:
Gourdis started at FB on Winderlich then picked up Hille Ryder & Neagle. I know I've been calling for him to be elevated so this might come across as biased but I thought he was our best backman in the first quarter, wasn't beaten and when it looked liked he would be he managed to get a fist to the ball or take the mark. Connors came on and played the same way as he did against he Hawks swept up everything and was responsible for a number of forward thrusts. Nason looked like he is over the knee and was in a fair few passages of play. Martin started off well getting involved in everything early, sometimes I think he tries to do too much shrugging off when he would be better served giving it off. Simmonds still has that annoying habit of jumping early in the middle and the number of time he flew past the ball and allowd Hille or Ryder an easy tap was frustrating. Our kick in structure is going to frustate the hell out of everyone this year if it continues the way it was more often than not we were forced to go short to the pocket and the first kick out of the game went straight over Moores head and out for a free kick.

Second Quarter:
Essendon dominated us, our forwards struggled to get anything going with our 3 goals coming from good luck rather than good footy. Jack lead hard but the Dons midfield pressure just didn't allow us to get any sort of system going. Roberts kicked his second goal by getting on the end of a loose ball in the middle and burning off the Dons players, then calmly kicked it through from 50. Martin spent the quarter following Stanton around and learnt a bit about playing midfield at AFL level a few times Stanton left him in his wake, but I'll excuse it given its his first pre season. Still lesson learnt and I expect him to grow from it. Tambling probably our best in the first half, getting a lot of ball through the middle and linking up with the backline. For mine he needs to play wing this year not HBF.

Third Quarter:
Much better quarter, we outscored them 6 goals top 5 and it all started from the middle. Simmonds and Vickery started getting first hand to the ball and gave Lids Martin & Cotch a chance to work together. Jackson seems to have taken over the Tuck role of getting the ball and banging it on his boot from the middle. Its quarters like this that are going to excite us through the year as they are a sign of improvement. The problem is we're relying on the small/mid sized forwards to do the damage on the scoreboard. The sooner Jack gets some help in the form of another couple of tall forwards the better. We just really struggled with Jack and Vickery as the tall targets. Vickery tries hard but its clear that he isn't a fulltime answer up forward.

Fourth Quarter:
Looked like the cue had been put in the rack and the players were just going through the motions, getting some miles into the legs and not wanting to get hurt before round 1. We were held goaless for the quarter but I wouldn't read much into it. The pleasing thing is again we got through without any injuries.

Thoughts on the newer players:
Nason - should play round 1 if today was anything to go by. Adds a heap of defensive pressure and knows how to find space.

Farmer - mark him down for the BP.

Martin - not as good as he was against the Hawks, but good enough.

Roberts - silky skilled excitement machine but still lacks fitness.

Taylor - quiet today but played on Fletcher for the most part.

Gourdis - as mentioned was our best tall back today, had 1 goal kicked on him from memory. If it was up to me he would be lining up at FB round 1 and for the most of the season.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

RT, it looks as though towards the end of the game Hardwick may have been trying some new structures. What I am interested in is the way they moved the ball, their defensive pressure, what they did when they didn't have the ball. If we get flogged this year, at least I want to get flogged with the team giving it a red hot go. Too many times under Wallace, they seemed to be somewhere else.

I agree with pretty much all of it RT. was very impressed with Gourdis and Nason today.

I think Roberts can wait till round 11 for elevation and work of his fitness/defensive pressure at Coburg until then.

I also think Nason will play round 1 he's just so hard at the ball and had his fair share of it today.

Moore, Newman , Edwards , Polo , Thompson , Cotchin ?
Moore Newman were ok neither stood out.
Edwards didn't play the sweeping role today, but didn't get beaten either.
Polo all the talk about him playing forward can be forgotten. He is better suited to the backline.
Thompson was workmanlike, always seemed to be feeding out a ball to the runners.
Cotchin going by today I wouldn't be expecting him to take the comp by storm just yet. Showed glimpses of what he can become though.
RT, it looks as though towards the end of the game Hardwick may have been trying some new structures. What I am interested in is the way they moved the ball, their defensive pressure, what they did when they didn't have the ball. If we get flogged this year, at least I want to get flogged with the team giving it a red hot go. Too many times under Wallace, they seemed to be somewhere else.
The last quarter was like old fashioned circle work, can't remember a tackle being laid and the ball seemed to go in one way and out the other. As I said it just seemed like both teams had got enough out of the day and wanted to make sure no-one got hurt. The noticeable thing was that as soon as our pressure died the Bombers just did as they liked while we struggled to get anything going.

Wasnt that something Monkey got him doing to counter the "new" breed of athletic rucks. Wont win the tap, but will negate the opp and we rove to both.
Yeah but in the second quarter the Dons just did as they pleased at the centre bounces as Ryder or Hill kept putting the ball where they wanted, it seemed that when we actually tried get the hitout we won the clearance.

Heard Foley played. If so, how did he go?
I'm 99.99999% sure that he didn't. It seems like a follow up of last weeks report where the reporter said Martin was quiet, which is understandable considering he didn't play.

I agree with pretty much all of it RT. was very impressed with Gourdis and Nason today.

I think Roberts can wait till round 11 for elevation and work of his fitness/defensive pressure at Coburg until then.

I also think Nason will play round 1 he's just so hard at the ball and had his fair share of it today.
I'd almost elevate Gourdis and Roberts. Polak might be the feel good story but he isn't the answer at FF. Gourdis could be a decent FB if he is given a season to develop. Roberts while lacking fitness could be that excitement machine that gets the fans coming through the gate. Going to be interesting seeing the decision Hardwick makes come Tuesday.

The sooner Astbury is fit and ready to get back in the team the better. We really need him out there. After the Hawk game i was really looking forward to him playing more nab games and then lining up round 1. Post, Astbury and Gourdis are important young players for us

Re: Nab Challenge 4 vs Essendon Morwell 3.30 sat

Ok so first off I'll say that I was very suprised by some of the match ups and we had no structure, no game plan we just kicked and hoped all day and there was so many piss poor out on the fulls.

For some reason the backline match ups went somthing like this

Gourdis- hille
mcguane- Neagle
Moore- zararakis
polo- gumbleton

and at stages there was times when goo was on winderlich whilst polo/Newman/ farmer were on gumby

It was very odd

The forward line was a terrible set up. We had no leading forwards all day, riewoltd hangs back looking for the speccie everytime. We had vickery at full forward most of the time, he did ok but had some poor disposal and was too slow at times.

So I'll try go through the players from what I remember

3. Brett deledio- was dissapointing for mine, has all the tools to become a star but he's just such a one way player, to me I think he is a half forward, I'd love to see him get the ball in the f50 that's when he's so dangerous. He is just so loose in the midfield and all he does is stand and point and yell for others to cover.

5- simmonds , had no real effect on the game but I think we are going to need him this year.

8- riewoltd, typically game, flashes of brillance, flashes of frustration, he is at best a 2nd/ 3rd tall type and if we had the right structure in place he would be the 3rd tall and he would be very damaging. Kicked a couple today but wasn't a real threat but the delivery was poor

9- cotchin, this kid is a gun, finds the ball and gets out of tough situations, a fully fit midfield and we would see the best of Trent, was a classabove today skill wise but you could tell he still lacks match fitness

10- Edwards, was okay didn't really stand out, very light on and to behonest I think he plays better footy on the wing or up forward like his first couple of seasons

14- Polo, for mine he was one of the better players, took contested marks in the back half, used the ball well, trys to do to much sometimes

15- farmer, didn't get a lot of it, doesn't look overally quick and desicion making wasn't great and execution of skills were poor. Can be hard at it but I can't believe we gave up one of our only tall forwards that leads hard and crashes packs in Schulz for a iffy back pocket player, it seems like we have so many guys at the club in this bracket undersized and poor skills.

16- mcgaune, like his attack and passion , would be best used as the 3rd tall. I think our best set up of talls down back is thursty mcguance, Moore. Did some good things today but looked rusty

17- Newman, probably our best today, uses it well, won most contests he was involved in.

20- Morton, was on and off the ground all day, classy finsher, is without a doubt our most dangerous player we have, to me he is one of the only guys who can turn or win a game of his own boot. Kicked a coupl of typically Morton run around and snaps and also hit the post.

23 Jackson, was good, hard at it, tough and fed the ball out, used it well

26 nahas , is quick but didn't have much impact, was playing too far up the ground to me he's a forward pocket only , crumbing goal kicker and chase hard in forward line is his best role

Connors- got a fair bit of it playing across the back but didn't use it that well and is pretty poor defensively.

30- tambling, wasted at half back, he's a better option across half forward or a winger. He had a fairly average game

31- Thompson, how this guy is infront of tuck I don't know. Doesn't get it anywhere near as much as tuck and he isn't strong in tackling or marking as tucky, was very dissapointing today.

33- gourdis, was pretty solid early but faded , and got outmarked by Williams a couple of times. I like the way he goes about it but thurstfield for mine over him.

34- browne, was terrible, gave away so many soft free kicks, slow and just looks out of his depth at the moment.

36- Martin, strong boy, breaks tackles will be a gem but does need to work on his defence

40- moore, no real influenc

Can only be one. Has to be Gourdis. He's been on the list 2 years and a key tall is more vital than a small forward imo. Gilligan is another promising rookie too
Unless I've missed the official announcement that Polak has been elevated then there is still 2 spots up for grabs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moore, had no real influence, but thE backline structure was poor all day

Taylor , couldn't get near it, but had Dustin Fletcher as oponent and what stood out for me was 2 things, he got no support from his fellow player and he was left to battle it out on one of the games great defenders. And 2 such was our foward structure that this could happen, we definatley lacked another tall forward or 2

Nason- was great, really suprised me and may just have booked a place for round 1, one of our best, ran hard, got to the right spots, hit targets made good desicions and kicked a nice goal or 2 . He may be a very good pick up for us.

Roberts- has x factor written all over him, ran out of gas but looked lively up forward, kicked a couple but as I said we were bombing the ball in hope to vickery and riewoltd , our set up was poor but given the right structure I think this guy could be a star for us as a lively forward.

Forget about hislop, for the first half I must say myself and my mates were laughing and joking about his turnovers and free kicks, you can't question his endevour though. 2nd half he lifted and was one of our better players, kicked a good goal , set a couple up, took some good marks , i'd prefer king over him in that role, but I do like how hard he is.

Hopefully not forgetting anyone

anyway after witnessing today's game I think Tuck has to play, a fit foley and cousins will help our midfield and then we can rotate deledio, tambling, cotchin and cousins through the mid and half forward, even send lids deep into attack.

Polak must play full foward, we need a tall who will lead , bring structure and help Jack out.

Think that Post or Graham has to come in and up forward too.

Graham and vickery could rotate between 2nd ruck and 3rd tall

Thursfield is a must for full back and as much as I hate to say this but mcmahon is a must for half back and rotate on the wing.

Our best side heading into round 1 providing everyone is fit

polo, thursfield, Moore
Newman, mcgaune, mcmahon
cotchin, Jackson, tambling
deledio, riewoltd, morton
nahas, polak, vickery
simmonds, foley, cousins
Graham, nason, hislop/king tuck

emerg: gourdis, post, Connors,Roberts

Alright. Made the trip to Morwell and set up camp in the stand. Was a good spot to watch the game and stay out of the sun. Quite a large crowd.

First up, I don't think the scoreboard is a fair assessment of the game. They smashed us in the last but we were competitive most the match. Had a purple patch in the 3rd where we looked really good. We definitely took the foot off the pedal in the last which is worrying but I'm sure that is due to inexperience and Essendon deserve some credit.

I'll do a short review on each player but just ask if you want anymore info.

Farmer: Was good early, tries really hard and has neat skills. Faded in and out of the match. Will play round 1.

Gourdis: Pretty much our best back. No reason why he can't make it. Has pace, can spoil quite well and seems to have tidy skills. I'm calling for him to be promoted.

Polo: Very good. Don't know how others saw his game but I think he was in our top 3 players. Has alot of courage and kicked well today. Took some great marks in defence.

Edwards: Not a great game. Took the game on but couldn't really get anything going. Kicking was average.

Mcguane. Disappointed by his game. Seemed to do some silly things like punching the ball toward the goal square deep forward which resulted in a goal.

Newman: Not bad. Went in hard and was tidy coming out of defence. Can be better.

Moore: Average. Tried hard and didn't leak many goals. Skills weren't great though.

Tambling: Not bad. Had a couple of brain fades but was involved.

Jackson: Good game. Tried hard and was our best in contested situations. Will have a good year again.

Cotchin: Good signs. Goes in bloody hard and displayed some real grunt. Had no room all day today so found it hard to have a massive influence. Looked spent in the last but good signs none the less. Has no luck with the umpires either, was manhandled all match.

Nason: Impressive. Should play round 1 IMO. Goes in hard and has good footskills. I'm on the bandwagon.

Riewoldt: Can't fault the guy. The supply today was the worst I've seen in some time. I can't remember a time where we actually tried to spot someone up, rather we just bombed inside the 50. Jack kicked a beauty on the boundary where he was 1 on 3 and moved the ball forward before snapping a great goal. Kicked 2 in the end and was quite good considering.

Hislop: Good game! I'm quite harsh on Slops but was pleasantly surprised at how good he was. Displayed real strength and took some good marks. Was pivotal in the first half.

Nahas: Tried his guts out as usual. Kicked a good goal and chased hard. Is capable of much more but can't fault his endeavor.

Vickery: Stoked with his first half. Couldn't believe how big he is. Took some really good marks in the first half and kicked a goal from 50 which was touched off the boot. Has alot of potential and is improving. Big positive IMO.

Morton: Quiet game but kicked a couple I think. Delivery was awful mind you.

Simmonds: Spud. Had a shocker and will need to improve or else he will find himself out the side. Slow.

Martin: Absolute freak. Was our best again today which is quite sad to be honest. Goes in so hard and creates alot of opportunities. Got caught a couple of times but at least he was having a crack. Some of the things he did today were just awe inspiring and leave you smiling. BOG for mine.

Deledio: Pretty quiet game for his standards. Did some freakish things through the match. The ground is relatively small and doesn't have alot of space to run. Bit of a slugfest today which wouldn't of suited him.

Browne: Good ruckwork and covers the ground pretty well. Something to work with but not in the starting 22 just yet.

Connors: Very average. Kicking was terrible and didn't really get involved.

Roberts: Impressive first half but obviously lacks fitness. Kicked an awesome goal and is definitely one who can have an impact in the H&A season.

Taylor: Unsighted in the first half but got involved in the 2nd and impressed me. Surprised by his size. Looks like a good prospect.

Thomson. One of our best today. Very good in tight, plays alot like Tucky but has better skills. Can't split he and Tuck just yet.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

If anyone to that game game you please provide some feedback

At the game today from start to finish. Saw some encouraging signs, but also saw some of our tell-tale flaws that are going to take longer than one preseason to eradicate. Too many players still go missing for extended periods of the game, maybe that's just one of the problems with a young developing side. Skill errors were still present, but there also seemed to be better second efforts in my opinion. It seemed like that message might be getting through that if you make a mistake, and lets face it they are making plenty, you had better go bloody hard to try and win it back.
Competetive in the first, nowhere near as good in the second. Third quarter was really positive, ran hard and in good numbers (support around the contest), just pleasing to see them help one another out and play for eachother. The fourth quarter was awful, looked beaten early in the term and then dropped their heads and the bombers ran away with it, completely undoing the good work of the third term.
Individually: *Benny Nason was very good, I really think we've found one here. Fast, confident, clean ball use and good decisions.
*Lids was good without really standing out. Still did what you'd expect him to do though.
*Cotch will only get better with more game time. Did some really nice things, but still looks to be coming back up to game speed and touch.
*Vickery was played up forward, with only short stints in the ruck, (Simmo 1st, Browne 2nd rucks). Presented well, took some nice strong marks and kicked well. One shank on the run, much to the delight of the Essendon supporters around me, but was running at full tilt and about to be mown down. I can't think of too many other ruckman that would have pulled that off. Vick's will be a very important player for this club and I like this form of management. Game time up forward for condititioning and experience without being constantly bashed in the ruck until his body matures.
*Martin was terrific, plays way above his experience. Strong. Breaks tackles, nice disposal and impressive attack on the ball. 'Manlove' aside, this was the first time I've seen him play in person and was rapt with what I saw. Plays like we would all hope that he would.
*Taylor has nice skills and evasiveness, reads the ball well and gets into the right positions on the ground. Needs to demand the ball more though. Found space numerous times from old man Fletcher, but wasn't used as much as he should have been. Still only very early for him, so I'm sure they will learn to use his strengths when he has earned a bit more respect from the playing group.
*Relts. What can you say, sublime skills, all the tricks really, but for those calling for an early elevation. I wouldn't yet as he has very limited fitness, was dead on his feet in the last, (warming down when interchanged by walking past where we sitting and I thought he was going to go into cardiac arrest, really, really blowing hard). A burst player at best at the moment. Game time at Coburg will be the ideal fitness base he needs.
*Mitch Farmer attacked the ball and the man hard. Nice tackles. Like Taylor, I think he will be better utilised when he has earned the confidence of the group. I liked what I saw for a first impression through.
*Jack. Didn't see enough of Junior Roo I thought. Did some nice things when he had it but would have liked to see him present a bit further up the ground to bring himself into the game more. Ditto for Moreton, though still very effective when he gets his hands on the pill.
*Simmo and Browne were beaten by Hille and Ryder. Exposed by Ryder's spring and mobility. Both are strong in the wrestle, so were better at boundary throw ins than at ball ups, because their more agile opponents couldn't run and out jump them. Lid's seemed to recognise this and was often third man up. Nice to see someone thinking!
*Gourdis looks a likely type. Haven't seen much of the Goo, but was impressed by his willingness to back himself in for the mark or leave his direct opponent to help spoil the contest, often fringe players are too petrified of being the one to stuff it up. Not flawless by any stretch, but promising.
*Hislop. First of all I haven't been a fan, but was impressed by his attack on the ball and man. We need hardness at the contest, he constantly puts his body on the line and in places smarter footballers wouldn't and to his credit then bounces straight back up. Kicking not great, as has been often highlighted, but every team needs their workhorses. Presents and marks very well for a player his size. If his kicking improves he could become a very difficult matchup.
*Titch and Polo weren't at their best. Missing in action at times and with their opponents running off them. Not great today.

Foley defininately did not play despite being named in our better players by the Herald Sun, I think the journalist reported from his desk in the city.

Not to different to what I expected for the bulk of the game, although very dissapointing to lay down in the last, just flatters Essendon's scoreline. Hardwick stated that with young sides you can expect good quarters and also bad ones and we certainly saw that today, but I think there is some exciting talent there to work with. Cous, Foley and Post would have been nice inclusions.

Haven't covered everyone, but I hope it helps those that were not able to be there.

I'd almost elevate Gourdis and Roberts. Polak might be the feel good story but he isn't the answer at FF. Gourdis could be a decent FB if he is given a season to develop. Roberts while lacking fitness could be that excitement machine that gets the fans coming through the gate. Going to be interesting seeing the decision Hardwick makes come Tuesday.

This I think, will be the first fair dinkum acid test of the new policy direction and balls, by Benny, Cameron and Hardwick.

Sometimes I get the feeling he is mainly the feel good story with the media and public, but im unsure of the club just yet. Do you just promote him because of his remarkable and inspirational dedication to claw his way back from near death, and the fact he has burned on the track, and he is one of the few experienced mature bodies on our list. Or do you judge him purely on his actual current form, and ability. His form isn’t that good, and I think he is minimum 6-8 weeks away. So with only two spots up for grabs, a round 11 decision would make perfect sense, and Gourdis/Roberts would be the logical picks. It will be tough, but I hope sentiment takes a back seat to commonsense.,

Ok so first off I'll say that I was very suprised by some of the match ups and we had no structure, no game plan we just kicked and hoped all day and there was so many piss poor out on the fulls.

For some reason the backline match ups went somthing like this

Gourdis- hille
mcguane- Neagle
Moore- zararakis
polo- gumbleton

and at stages there was times when goo was on winderlich whilst polo/Newman/ farmer were on gumby

It was very odd

The forward line was a terrible set up. We had no leading forwards all day, riewoltd hangs back looking for the speccie everytime. We had vickery at full forward most of the time, he did ok but had some poor disposal and was too slow at times.

So I'll try go through the players from what I remember

3. Brett deledio- was dissapointing for mine, has all the tools to become a star but he's just such a one way player, to me I think he is a half forward, I'd love to see him get the ball in the f50 that's when he's so dangerous. He is just so loose in the midfield and all he does is stand and point and yell for others to cover.

5- simmonds , had no real effect on the game but I think we are going to need him this year.

8- riewoltd, typically game, flashes of brillance, flashes of frustration, he is at best a 2nd/ 3rd tall type and if we had the right structure in place he would be the 3rd tall and he would be very damaging. Kicked a couple today but wasn't a real threat but the delivery was poor

9- cotchin, this kid is a gun, finds the ball and gets out of tough situations, a fully fit midfield and we would see the best of Trent, was a classabove today skill wise but you could tell he still lacks match fitness

10- Edwards, was okay didn't really stand out, very light on and to behonest I think he plays better footy on the wing or up forward like his first couple of seasons

14- Polo, for mine he was one of the better players, took contested marks in the back half, used the ball well, trys to do to much sometimes

15- farmer, didn't get a lot of it, doesn't look overally quick and desicion making wasn't great and execution of skills were poor. Can be hard at it but I can't believe we gave up one of our only tall forwards that leads hard and crashes packs in Schulz for a iffy back pocket player, it seems like we have so many guys at the club in this bracket undersized and poor skills.

16- mcgaune, like his attack and passion , would be best used as the 3rd tall. I think our best set up of talls down back is thursty mcguance, Moore. Did some good things today but looked rusty

17- Newman, probably our best today, uses it well, won most contests he was involved in.

20- Morton, was on and off the ground all day, classy finsher, is without a doubt our most dangerous player we have, to me he is one of the only guys who can turn or win a game of his own boot. Kicked a coupl of typically Morton run around and snaps and also hit the post.

23 Jackson, was good, hard at it, tough and fed the ball out, used it well

26 nahas , is quick but didn't have much impact, was playing too far up the ground to me he's a forward pocket only , crumbing goal kicker and chase hard in forward line is his best role

Connors- got a fair bit of it playing across the back but didn't use it that well and is pretty poor defensively.

30- tambling, wasted at half back, he's a better option across half forward or a winger. He had a fairly average game

31- Thompson, how this guy is infront of tuck I don't know. Doesn't get it anywhere near as much as tuck and he isn't strong in tackling or marking as tucky, was very dissapointing today.

33- gourdis, was pretty solid early but faded , and got outmarked by Williams a couple of times. I like the way he goes about it but thurstfield for mine over him.

34- browne, was terrible, gave away so many soft free kicks, slow and just looks out of his depth at the moment.

36- Martin, strong boy, breaks tackles will be a gem but does need to work on his defence

40- moore, no real influenc

was reading up until your Schulz comment.... lost all interest after that...

What is wrong with the schulz comment

I know he was inconsistant but i think the point you missed is why did we trade him for a back pocket, i just cant see what seperates farmer from polo or edwards, king, mcmahon, connors

Same build, same sort of skills

Wouldnt be mentioning this if the trade was for a ruckman,key back or forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond vs Essendon Reviews

Remove this Banner Ad

Back