Richmond vs Essendon Reviews

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah lets not go down the schulz bagging path, my main point was actually why did we trade for a guy that could pretty much only be a back pocket player, who has limited skills.

Its funny and interesting to note how you watch the same game of footy yet you get varied reports on players

I really dont think Hardwick was using this the same way other clubs were in terms of fielding their best side possible for round one. Think we had a few players (not injured) that he kept out and got a look at the rookies in gourdis and roberts and the game plan and structures were non existant.

Went to the game today and unlike some, I came away with more positives.

I talk about our ball movement around the stoppages. It is at times, very good. The quick hands in close to give to a man in a better position was the catalyst of our third quarter where we at times looked like a very good side. That quarter and a glimpse here and there showed me what we will become once we mature and develop into what Dimma wants. Some really good passages of play, some really shocking passages by the usual suspects.

Dustin Martin was involved in nearly every center clearance in that third quarter, he is a bull in the middle, and even when he is getting tackled, his quick hands in close to feed it off is impressive. The kid is a bloody star and I don't think he gets noticed by some as a majority of his work in in tight. Just hunts the ball and most of the time wins it.

Ben Nason for mine was super. Really impressed. Very smart player, knows where to run to get the ball, good disposal on him and livens up the play. Will play round one, as Hardwick loves him, he looks to be a bargain pick. Will become a midfield half forward type. Very impressed.

Andrew Browne was deplorable today to be honest. Gave away so many free kicks in ruck contests as he was not jumping well, mistimed his leap nearly everytime, really sloppy performance. Looks like he has lost all his puppy fat, but still nowhere near it in my opinion.

Luke McGuane had a shocker. Made some really fundamental errors, like punching a ball back into play when he should of hit it through for a behind, which led to a goal, he really struggled. He looked like a dwarf next to Gumbleton who was impressive, i'll talk about Essendon later.

Adam Thompson had a very bad game. A shocking game to be honest, his kicking was pretty bad, but the thing is he lacks composure, a few times he should have gave the handball or looked to see a teammate to his side, instead, bombed it to Fletcher or Pears standing by themselves. He was beaten a few times one on one by Essendon players, really poor.

Brett Deledio was quiet but still did a few things to say he will stamp his name on the game. A few good contested marks a couple of nice kicks, but really should of taken the game on more, he could of done a lot more, spent a lot of time on the bench.

Relton Roberts can turn it on at a drop of a hat. He has that magic and skill to cause opposition some problems. His two goals were very exciting and the types that can change momentum. Very lazy player though and has a lot to learn. Was told at nearly every stoppage play in the forward line where to stand, in fact at one time Benny Nason was on the bench screaming at Relton to get to where he needed to be. Very lazy as I said and will frustrate some times, but is something we lack.

Troy Taylor was non existent in the first half, but a good reason for that was Dustin Fletcher was on him. Could not egt near it, and looked like he didn't want to. Very lazy. In the third he came alive when our midfield did and is such a good mover and really good kick, he has all the toold but will take time. I have a feeling he is a big game player, will turn it on when the atmosphere is fever pitch. Will be our X Factor.

Richard Tambling had a shocker. Turned the ball over, got caught a few times, made some simple errors...Very basic errors like handballing to a man that was stnding still and had a man right on him....Dumb decisions. I expect more from Richard.

Troy Simmonds, well, he was good. When he was in the ruck, we didn't get mauled in the center, he did some nice stuff around the grounds and threw his weight around. Is our best ruckman by a fair margin. Good decision to keep him on.

David Gourdis impressed me with his athletic capabilities, his spoiling and his kicking was improved from what I have seen at Coburg. Definitely something to work with there. Made some silly errors, but overall I was happy with his output. Took a couple of ripping marks defensively.

Ty Vickery, looked okay up forward, took a couple of strong marks and kicked a couple of goals. Needs to make a few more contests and make his presence known more, but for a 19 year old 200cm player, he showed a lot of promise. Will be a player.

Dan Jackson, well what can you say, he won't be in our best side when we are challenging for finals spots, dumb, dumb decisions with the ball in his hands, he freezes like a deer caught in headlights when he is under pressure and usually it is followed by a head scratching move.....

Robin Nahas, was quiet today but still nippy here there and everywhere, looked more comfortable and dangerous when up forward, got a bit lost further up the ground. I have faith he will become a good player.

I think Polak up forward would have given us more structure and we wouldn't have broken down so much at half forward. Essendon were a big team and he would have caused a contest. Post I would play every week, obviously missing Cousins hurt but the loss of Thursfield was felt just as hard. McGuane and Moore look lost without him.

As I said previously, signs we can become a very good team out there today, the bombers looked like a well drilled unit, very mature physically and their skills are top notch. Ryder, Hille, Neagle, Gumbleton up forward will take some stopping but Tayte Pears and Dustin Fletcher down back give them structure. Pears was super today, just an impressive kid. Their forward were too big, strong and good for us and we looked like little kids against them. I am tipping them to be top 6 this season, they move the ball really well, talk to each other and have numbers to contests really well, they are physically ready to go and have forwards that can kick winning scores.

Also another point I'd like to make is our pressure and tackling. Despite the loss, it has improved ten fold since last season, the players are always having a dip and a go. More and more tackles are sticking, the pressure is always on and it was really only when we fatigued that the scoreboard blew out of control. We are babies at the moment, have faith, what is going on is exciting and I strongly believe we are on the right track.

The one thing I dislike about taking my youngster to games is I can't concentrate on them as well as I'd like. Reading TigerBobs review and comparing it to mine its clear that I missed quite a few things although some of the positives that he mentioned I also picked up on. Like you said Bob what is happening down there is very exciting and although we won't win as many games as we would like its going to be an enjoyable season none the less.

Dan Jackson, well what can you say, he won't be in our best side when we are challenging for finals spots, dumb, dumb decisions with the ball in his hands, he freezes like a deer caught in headlights when he is under pressure and usually it is followed by a head scratching move.....

clap2.gif
clap2.gif
clap2.gif

I will post a full report later but just a few things:

Tambling was absolutley shocking. Turned the ball over, handballed to guys under pressure and we need more as a senior player. Sorry he is not a wingman he is a HBF or a HFF that plays high and gets free ball.

Deledio - Needs to start in the centre square

Edwards - Looked to have bulked up

Gourdis - Was really good and needs promotion

I marked down our goals list but missed the first goal and the first goal of the 3rd qtr???

Riewoldt 2
Scooby 2
Nason 1
Nahas 1
Hislop 1
Vicks 1
Morton 1

A few points;

-Riewoldt clearly best Forward, needs another tall to help him out. Tackled very well and created direct goal assists to Scooby and Nahas. Needs to avoid going for the hanger every contested opportunity. He could have taken a few clean marks.

-Tambling created well, but often tried to over create at one point he was our BOG but he didnt follow up in the last few. Easily got 25 touches

-Gourdis was solid at times and very influental but then outmarked by davey etc just needs tuning up. Anyone notice how he hangs off his opponent hoping the op kicks to his player before speeding up and spoiling it.? Quite clever way to have the op underestimating his pace and ability to make it to the contest.

-Vickery looks too slow getting to the ball and with the ball.. but certainly progressing well for his age

-Nahas didn't see enough of the game IMO. Seemed to play up the ground more. Might have to lift his game or he may slide out of the 22 partway through the season.

-Cotch and Martin will both be better midfielders than lids. In and under, shrugging players off etc. Lids will be more usefull hanging out for the ball

-Polo needs to avoid taking on players in defence. (outrunning then shrugging) He beats them 7-8 times out of ten, but to 2 or 3 times he doesnt.. costs goals. However I'd be happy for him to take them on outside of defence as he often beats em and won't always directly cost goals

-Mcguane kicked about 3 on the full. He seems to have an instruction to move the ball on as quick as possible. Needs to get the kicking right and he would be a very damaging defender. Would love to see him take on hall round 2 :D

-As for the rucks; in order I'd have Simo, Gus, Vicks then Brown. Was questioning the decision to keep Simo, but it all seems so much more clearer.

My bests would be Riewoldt, Martin, Cotch

Martin is an absolute gun... a lot of love for him :)
I honestly feel like he is our best player already... is there something wrong with me???

Martin is an absolute gun... a lot of love for him :)
I honestly feel like he is our best player already... is there something wrong with me???

We gotta be carefull here. He's Played a handfull of practice matches. He's had opposition trying different strategies and not worried at all by opposition influences of a first year mid.

H&A season will be tougher for him IMO.

I'd agree he's one of our better players, but lets not overhype him.

Also... did anyone notice when the opposition were running the ball out linking handballs etc.. our players would bump and push the bombers after they'ved disposed of the ball. Even 2-3 seconds after. The purpous wasn't just to stop them from getting to the next contest but to annoy them.

Iteresting to see if we do it against players like Hall, J.Brown, and whether op players gain time on the sideline

Also a seperate incident; anyone see the wrestle in the middle with Simo and Ryder? Jackson the only Tiger to rip into the players while 4-5 bombers helped Ryder. Piss poor effort from Tigers, but you get that with a young side

Started from a player kneeing/ kicking simmonds I think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The question that I have for you guys at the game was this a full on hitout or a last minute trial on some backup plans like a plan B or plan C. From what I have seen at Yea and Visy Park when we put our guns in the right position we look great. Yesterday we had little excuse to hang our hats on except that we were trialling some new ideas. Food for thought.
My team round 1
Farmer Thursfield Moore
Connors McGuane Edwards
Newman Cousins Tambling
Nahas Post Morton
Reiwoldt Vickery Roberts/Tuck
Simmonds Jackson Cotchin
Martin Nason Taylor Roberts/Tuck
Eat Em Alive Tigers.:footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy:

Re: Nab Challenge 4 vs Essendon Morwell 3.30 sat

The forward line was a terrible set

3. Brett deledio- was dissapointing for mine, has all the tools to become a star but he's just such a one way player, to me I think he is a half forward, I'd love to see him get the ball in the f50 that's when he's so dangerous. He is just so loose in the midfield and all he does is stand and point and yell for others to cover.

5- simmonds , had no real effect on the game but I think we are going to need him this year.

26 nahas , is quick but didn't have much impact, was playing too far up the ground to me he's a forward pocket only , crumbing goal kicker and chase hard in forward line is his best role

31- Thompson, how this guy is infront of tuck I don't know. Doesn't get it anywhere near as much as tuck and he isn't strong in tackling or marking as tucky, was very dissapointing today.

40- moore, no real influenc

Okay, Deledio.....good call. Good to see your not one who gets sucked in by all this champion, elite, future champion crap. Until he develops a defensive side to his game, will be just a player!!!
Pressure starts from the midfield...if our on-ballers don't get a defensive side to their game, the backs have no hope!!!

Simmonds...again correct. he is a key for us as we have nothing else!!! Wake up Tiger supporters, Vickery is developing, Brown is a long way off and Graham ain't up to it!!

Nahas...jury out!!! We all love him, but is he that good? For mine, just a player who did some good things in a year we were crap. Needs to get more involved!! Goes missing for long periods!

Thomson...LMAO if anyone thinks he's better than Tuck. gets the ball about 10 times a game..joke!!!

Moore...If he's in the team round one, we'll get slaughtered. Simply not up to it. His 2008 was good, showed nothing before or last year and pre-season form has been sub-par. get rid of him!!! Sadly, we missed an opportunity to trade him this year...therer will be no suitors at the end of this year!!

Went to the game today and unlike some, I came away with more positives.

I talk about our ball movement around the stoppages. It is at times, very good. The quick hands in close to give to a man in a better position was the catalyst of our third quarter where we at times looked like a very good side. That quarter and a glimpse here and there showed me what we will become once we mature and develop into what Dimma wants. Some really good passages of play, some really shocking passages by the usual suspects.

Dustin Martin was involved in nearly every center clearance in that third quarter, he is a bull in the middle, and even when he is getting tackled, his quick hands in close to feed it off is impressive. The kid is a bloody star and I don't think he gets noticed by some as a majority of his work in in tight. Just hunts the ball and most of the time wins it.

Ben Nason for mine was super. Really impressed. Very smart player, knows where to run to get the ball, good disposal on him and livens up the play. Will play round one, as Hardwick loves him, he looks to be a bargain pick. Will become a midfield half forward type. Very impressed.

Andrew Browne was deplorable today to be honest. Gave away so many free kicks in ruck contests as he was not jumping well, mistimed his leap nearly everytime, really sloppy performance. Looks like he has lost all his puppy fat, but still nowhere near it in my opinion.

Luke McGuane had a shocker. Made some really fundamental errors, like punching a ball back into play when he should of hit it through for a behind, which led to a goal, he really struggled. He looked like a dwarf next to Gumbleton who was impressive, i'll talk about Essendon later.

Adam Thompson had a very bad game. A shocking game to be honest, his kicking was pretty bad, but the thing is he lacks composure, a few times he should have gave the handball or looked to see a teammate to his side, instead, bombed it to Fletcher or Pears standing by themselves. He was beaten a few times one on one by Essendon players, really poor.

Brett Deledio was quiet but still did a few things to say he will stamp his name on the game. A few good contested marks a couple of nice kicks, but really should of taken the game on more, he could of done a lot more, spent a lot of time on the bench.

Relton Roberts can turn it on at a drop of a hat. He has that magic and skill to cause opposition some problems. His two goals were very exciting and the types that can change momentum. Very lazy player though and has a lot to learn. Was told at nearly every stoppage play in the forward line where to stand, in fact at one time Benny Nason was on the bench screaming at Relton to get to where he needed to be. Very lazy as I said and will frustrate some times, but is something we lack.

Troy Taylor was non existent in the first half, but a good reason for that was Dustin Fletcher was on him. Could not egt near it, and looked like he didn't want to. Very lazy. In the third he came alive when our midfield did and is such a good mover and really good kick, he has all the toold but will take time. I have a feeling he is a big game player, will turn it on when the atmosphere is fever pitch. Will be our X Factor.

Richard Tambling had a shocker. Turned the ball over, got caught a few times, made some simple errors...Very basic errors like handballing to a man that was stnding still and had a man right on him....Dumb decisions. I expect more from Richard.

Troy Simmonds, well, he was good. When he was in the ruck, we didn't get mauled in the center, he did some nice stuff around the grounds and threw his weight around. Is our best ruckman by a fair margin. Good decision to keep him on.

David Gourdis impressed me with his athletic capabilities, his spoiling and his kicking was improved from what I have seen at Coburg. Definitely something to work with there. Made some silly errors, but overall I was happy with his output. Took a couple of ripping marks defensively.

Ty Vickery, looked okay up forward, took a couple of strong marks and kicked a couple of goals. Needs to make a few more contests and make his presence known more, but for a 19 year old 200cm player, he showed a lot of promise. Will be a player.

Robin Nahas, was quiet today but still nippy here there and everywhere, looked more comfortable and dangerous when up forward, got a bit lost further up the ground. I have faith he will become a good player.

I think Polak up forward would have given us more structure and we wouldn't have broken down so much at half forward. Essendon were a big team and he would have caused a contest. Post I would play every week, obviously missing Cousins hurt but the loss of Thursfield was felt just as hard. McGuane and Moore look lost without him.

As I said previously, signs we can become a very good team out there today, the bombers looked like a well drilled unit, very mature physically and their skills are top notch. Ryder, Hille, Neagle, Gumbleton up forward will take some stopping but Tayte Pears and Dustin Fletcher down back give them structure. Pears was super today, just an impressive kid. Their forward were too big, strong and good for us and we looked like little kids against them. I am tipping them to be top 6 this season, they move the ball really well, talk to each other and have numbers to contests really well, they are physically ready to go and have forwards that can kick winning scores.

Also another point I'd like to make is our pressure and tackling. Despite the loss, it has improved ten fold since last season, the players are always having a dip and a go. More and more tackles are sticking, the pressure is always on and it was really only when we fatigued that the scoreboard blew out of control. We are babies at the moment, have faith, what is going on is exciting and I strongly believe we are on the right track.

END of the day, we got beaten by 74 points by an ordinary team!!!
Make no mistake, endeavour has improved and we have a tremendous upside, but get used to similar floggings come the regular season!!!

END of the day, we got beaten by 74 points by an ordinary team!!!
Make no mistake, endeavour has improved and we have a tremendous upside, but get used to similar floggings come the regular season!!!

...way of the mark if you think the bombers are an ordinary side...

Yeah lets not go down the schulz bagging path, my main point was actually why did we trade for a guy that could pretty much only be a back pocket player, who has limited skills.

Its funny and interesting to note how you watch the same game of footy yet you get varied reports on players

I really dont think Hardwick was using this the same way other clubs were in terms of fielding their best side possible for round one. Think we had a few players (not injured) that he kept out and got a look at the rookies in gourdis and roberts and the game plan and structures were non existant.

i think schulz was going regardless. we were getting nothing out of him and port were getting little out of farmer. we do have a need for a genuine small bp.
instead of nothing both clubs got something they think they needed.
i have no problem with this trade it may well pan out both clubs get nothing out of the trade but nothing ventured nothing gained.

as for the lack of kpfs well we could have targeted bradshaw as a short term fix in the psd.
remember richo was still on the list at the time of the trade.it wasnt the case at the time of the psd.

we had schulz for 7 yrs for very little return i would have thought all would have been happy to get anything for him, a late pick a player swap anything.

the trade period nd and psd was the place to try and get a short term fix for our kpf woes as stated we probably didnt trade for one because richo was still there and the club was obviously going to take some talls in the nd.

based purely on potential i reckon we are well of long term for kpfs riewoldt, astbury, griffiths, and likely post can swing forward and back.
our tall forward problems are clear.
we have no established kpfs the ones we do have, have potential. their are no guarantees with potential. clearly looking long term depth is a problem as well.
imo i think we are in more trouble long term down back. depending on how you rate thursfield mcguane and moore. to me all three are only average at best. all have been around long enough to suggest we wont get much more out of them.
this is why i believe it important we play and develop post at chb and try gourdis at fb play thursfield next to gourdis.
for now two of moore mcguane and rance will miss out. it could be all three miss out and we add farmer tambling and newman to provide the pace and run out of defence.

one other consideration is perhaps giving gourdis a try at ff atm because of injury to astbury and griffiths.
gourdis has the tools to offer hard quick leads something we are lacking in our tall forwards.

i think schulz was going regardless. we were getting nothing out of him and port were getting little out of farmer. we do have a need for a genuine small bp.
instead of nothing both clubs got something they think they needed.
i have no problem with this trade it may well pan out both clubs get nothing out of the trade but nothing ventured nothing gained.

as for the lack of kpfs well we could have targeted bradshaw as a short term fix in the psd.
remember richo was still on the list at the time of the trade.it wasnt the case at the time of the psd.

we had schulz for 7 yrs for very little return i would have thought all would have been happy to get anything for him, a late pick a player swap anything.

the trade period nd and psd was the place to try and get a short term fix for our kpf woes as stated we probably didnt trade for one because richo was still there and the club was obviously going to take some talls in the nd.

based purely on potential i reckon we are well of long term for kpfs riewoldt, astbury, griffiths, and likely post can swing forward and back.
our tall forward problems are clear.
we have no established kpfs the ones we do have, have potential. their are no guarantees with potential. clearly looking long term depth is a problem as well.
imo i think we are in more trouble long term down back. depending on how you rate thursfield mcguane and moore. to me all three are only average at best. all have been around long enough to suggest we wont get much more out of them.
this is why i believe it important we play and develop post at chb and try gourdis at fb play thursfield next to gourdis.
for now two of moore mcguane and rance will miss out. it could be all three miss out and we add farmer tambling and newman to provide the pace and run out of defence.

one other consideration is perhaps giving gourdis a try at ff atm because of injury to astbury and griffiths.
gourdis has the tools to offer hard quick leads something we are lacking in our tall forwards.

:thumbsu:THE club did the right thing ... addressing its key position deficiencies through the draft. Look, it's going to take time - three-four years, but drafting the likes of Griffiths, Astbury, Taylor etc. to complement Riewoldt and Morton and the likes of Post and Vickery will be vindicated in time. But it's going to be a hard slog for a long time.
Other than Bradshaw, there wasn't many key position players available at trading time.

And Jaklaughing ... Bombers are an oh so ordinary side!!!!

:thumbsu:THE club did the right thing ... addressing its key position deficiencies through the draft. Look, it's going to take time - three-four years, but drafting the likes of Griffiths, Astbury, Taylor etc. to complement Riewoldt and Morton and the likes of Post and Vickery will be vindicated in time. But it's going to be a hard slog for a long time.
Other than Bradshaw, there wasn't many key position players available at trading time.

And Jaklaughing ... Bombers are an oh so ordinary side!!!!

Goldust you obviously did not make the trip up yesterday because I did..and I can tell you right now the dons are looking really good. Ryder playing ruck makes their forward line super potent

Gumbleton is going to be a gun CHF and is massive...David Hille can control the square and then they have the dangerous smalls in Winderlech, Zaharakis and Williams....

Anyone saying tambling was BOG yesterday you are kidding yourself. I like Tambling and generally see the glass half full when talking about him, but for a senior player he was terrible yesterday...not to mention very soft!

Deledio now has plenty of support in the middle with Cotch, Martin, Cuz, Foley so if he doesnt step up to the next level this year he probably never will.

Gourdis looked 100 times better than both McGuane and Moore and IMO our future backline KP should be Post, Gourdis, Thursfield and whoever else we draft. Trade Moore and McGuane while they still have some form of value.

We have 2 massive problems:

1. We have no idea how to get the ball out of our backline. This is predominantley due to the fact that the guys up the ground did not want to move and present yesterday, which generally meant a long bomb down the line.

2. It is the complete opposite from our end. Seems to rocket out of our forward line and yesterday we had alot of downhill skiing mids. Fair enough because only a praccy game, but if we leave the corridor open like we did yesterday we are stuffed.

Cotchin did a couple of ok things but never really looked to threatening. Martin was very good and got caught a couple of times but he was trying to make things happen.

If Hislop learns how to kick he will be decent because he gets enough of it around our forward line. I think however the quality talent we are building may overtake him.

Cousins and Foley are two massive inclusions so I am not getting to caught up. We got it back to 4 goals and it was pretty clear in the last quater the boys were just taking it easy trying not to get injured.

Bombers forward line is going to be very good this year and shows what we need. We have the trickster in Morton and the two smalls in Nahas and Relton, plus the 2nd tall in Riewoldt, however we really really need Griffiths & Astbury to make it.

If we can get a good CHF and FF it will solve a hell of alot of problems.

Nahas Astbury Morton

Riewoldt Griffiths Relton

Plenty of marking power on that forward line to go with pace and skill.

I think we really need to trade for a ruckman to join Vickery. He is still looking good for Vickery and doing as much as he can for his size at this point. If we could trade for someone liek Hampson from Carlton who is not really getting a huge go there we would be set in the Ruck division. I think trading for a proven ruckman in the next few years like we did with Simmonds to join Vickery will be a good play.

First of all a big thanks to all of those who have written reports, it is hugely appreciated.

But I have to admit I am starting to worry about cotch. I have read a lot of "did a few nice things" and "will be better for the run" and "didn't dominate" (although admittedly I didn't really expect to hear the latter). I'm just wondering whether these comments are the result of the huge expectations of him on his board or whether he just hasn't hit his stride yet and is still working his way back into it and will be hitting round one all guns blazing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond vs Essendon Reviews

Remove this Banner Ad

Back