Riewoldt should have been mark of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a poll on this a while ago. I can't find it, but the results went something like:

Riewoldt 40%
Sampi 35%
Bartel 25%

Can't remember the exact numbers, but I know Riewoldt won comfortably. Just a myth that Sampi's was better. Nothing wrong with Sampi's mark though!

Who cares. Does it really matter? I didn't think a goal kicked from 2m out directly in front should have been awarded goal of the year but it was. Do you hear anyone complaining? Build a bridge etc

Ted Pellitts said:
no, in the post match interview, he could at least acknowledge what a good mark it was rather than play it down

if the player who takes the grab doesn't think its mark of the year, why should a panel tell him it is?

AFL is a team oriented sport, good marks or good goals are just that, good. They don't help you win a premiership cup. Those that over-inflate their value or their importance to the game obviously have very little else to be proud of.

He had the right attitude after the match. It was just a mark, a good one but still just a mark.

Marks of the year are always borderline incompetence, they are often won by small player leaping for ridiculous marks over packs when really, those kinds of players should usually be on the ground roving the packs. Another favourite is players caught out of position by better defensive work and it is often just exceptional luck rather than skill that allows them to stick to mark they should never have held onto and would probably have dropped 99 times out of 100.

It is in the past now anyway, who really cares who won it.

Ted Pellitts said:
didak by a long way

I can't agree more. Yes I'm a Collingwood fan, but it just means I've seen it more often.

It was basically exactly like Riewoldt's; running back with the flight off the ball, having his legs taken out from under him, hitting the ground really hard, but with one major difference: he was 6 feet in the air when he took his.

Not only that, he got up and kicked the goal afterwards too.

Didak's mark was majorly slept on this year, not respected nearly enough.

Riewoldts mark was pure courage and looked good, Sampis mark was spectacular. Try jumping over 6 foot in the air in a pack of players, marking a football and landing perfectly on your feet ready to line up a shot on goal. I'm sure you guys will see that when most big marks are taken the player falls flat on his back or face showing no control. Sampi showed what a huge, clean mark that was and deserved the win 100%. There were about 3 marks almost identical to Riewoldts there were none like Sampis.

Totally agree with the comment Riewoldt SHOULD have won mark of the year. Sampi's mark was good dont get me wrong but i think what makes Reiwoldts sooo good was it wasnt just spectacular it also was Courageous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

vinnie_vegas69 said:
I can't agree more. Yes I'm a Collingwood fan, but it just means I've seen it more often.

It was basically exactly like Riewoldt's; running back with the flight off the ball, having his legs taken out from under him, hitting the ground really hard, but with one major difference: he was 6 feet in the air when he took his.

Not only that, he got up and kicked the goal afterwards too.

Didak's mark was majorly slept on this year, not respected nearly enough.
ah dear - you speak the truth!

where were you during the year when my didak campaign was a one man band!

where's your didak, where's your didak

Anyone can do what sampi did?
I dont think so.
Sampi's mark was beyond unbelieveable.
Someone with extraordinary leap and timing would have done that
and as for saying it was not as exciting as ree volts,
How was ree volts mark exciting?
It was courageous but thats all,
Besides Bartels mark was much more better than ree volts.
Who did ree volt take the mark agaisnt?
Oh yeah, it was BIG BAD BUSTLING MILNE
Scary!
But Bartel took it agaisnt a pack of around 5-6 players.

Ted Pellitts said:
no, in the post match interview, he could at least acknowledge what a good mark it was rather than play it down

if the player who takes the grab doesn't think its mark of the year, why should a panel tell him it is?

you really are talking ******** here....who cares, taking speccies is not why they play footy idiot!!!! think about what you type!!! :rolleyes:

Jimmy said:
you really are talking ******** here....who cares, taking speccies is not why they play footy idiot!!!! think about what you type!!! :rolleyes:
yeah but sampi didn't think his mark was mark of the year! why should he be forced to accept that it was?

Maybe you shouldn't judge mark of the year based on this - but, I can't help thinking there's something in the comment I read somewhere that Riewoldt's mark was a reckless act and a danger to those around him. I loved it (the mark) but I can't deny it put his fellow players in some serious jeopardy.

There were many courageous makes taken this year ,as there are every year, but the mark that is the most spectacular should win. Reiwoldt's was brave, (personally I thought Didak's was better), but neither were as SPECTACULAR as Sampi's. He deserved to win.

Ted Pellitts said:
melbourne fans would say rivers
geelong fans would say bartel
eagle fans would say sampi
saints fans would say ree volt

This little Saints fan says Sampi, Riewoldts was better than Browns last year though.

OH browns. now that was a travesty. bartel, rivers and riewoldts "courage marks" were all better than browns.

that has to be the most undeserving MOTY winner ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Riewoldt should have been mark of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back