Toast Riley "Timo" Bonner

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah. They're only 18 months apart in age and 2 draft years apart. Amon became a good and reliable player in 2019. If Bonner makes it, he will have taken longer to get there than Amon did.

I don't know why people are surprised that Bonner played reasonably well yesterday. It's not like he hasn't had many good games before. Consistentcy is his issue.
So hes got 12 months to come good then

Played well yesterday. Needs to prove himself against a better side though.

EXACTLY... will not have the amount of time to dispose of the ball against the top 4 sides. Still think an out of form Hartlett is better.

His last month has been very good. Has found some composure in tough games and his kicking under pressure has been incisive.

His last month has been very good. Has found some composure in tough games and his kicking under pressure has been incisive.
For me, it’s also his reliability in the contest: not conceding body position in the marking contest and not flapping around like a dying fish when tackled.

Reliability is the quality I value most in our players. Who can you bank on to do the required thing when it’s their turn to go?

Butters is usually an exemplar of this but often wasn’t last night. Houston at his best is ultra reliable, as is Drew. Bonner is showing signs of improving reliability much as Amon started to show three years ago.

I'm going to go against the grain a little and say that he's been better but there are still a few too many moments in games where he puts in weak efforts in the contest and that it could potentially cost us.

Two incidents I remember from last night were a two on two contest at half back where he was in pole position to win the ball or put it over the boundary line and sort of just stood there and let the Bulldogs player waltz past him and a marking contest in the middle of the ground where he didn't give even a token defensive effort.

If I were an opposition coach, I'd be looking to play through his opponent as much as possible.

Having said all of this, there aren't many alternatives this late in the day so we've got to stick with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is starting to do an Amon. F**K the haters Riley.
Actually think he might be starting to do a Wines.

Ollie said his turn around was based around accepting his limitations and focusing on what he could do well to perform a role for the side.

Am I crazy or am I seeing similar in Riley? In the past when he had shocking games he would still have some superb moments, as if he was trying to do it all but then often failing. Since returning I reckon there is less flash, more composure, and he is just reliably doing the little things well. He seems a simpler but much better player as a result.

Im not overly worried about him in finals because his one on one defending under pressure when in space is pretty good, and his kicking consistency has significantly improved over the last month. Playing Riley a bit deeper has allowed Bergman to play higher up the park. As much as I like Bergman I dont want to see our quasi-first year player isolated in defence in a final.

He was one of our best in the final against West Coast in 2017. I won't be at all surprised to see a similar performance from him next week.

Gets viewed under a magnifying glass more than any other player. I think he has as many errors per game as anyone else and the good far outweighs the bad.
Nah. He deserves to be under the microscope. He loses basically every 50 50 contest so when he does get the ball he needs to be very effective to make up for it.

Recently he has been but he is always going to be on a knife's edge due to his lack on contested ability as was seen several times last night.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we need to be wary just assuming everyone is going to improve like Amon did, I can’t remember a player going from hot garbage to arguably the best winger in the league so quickly.

The Great Wall of Boner. Like Aliir, seems to find himself in the right spot more often than not.

Lol. Aliir hunts the football. Bonner finds himself in the right spot because he's our weakest defender and the opposition know it so play through his opponent.

He's always had the talent. He just needs the mindset. The last few weeks he's shown that he might be developing that too.

He's done enough to earn a spot for the finals. What he does in those finals could make or break his career.

We've spent years complaining about the coaches not picking teams on form, and playing their favourites even though they're out of form. That cuts both ways. You don't have to like Riley based on his last however many years, but right now his form justifies selection.

The Great Wall of Boner. Like Aliir, seems to find himself in the right spot more often than not.
This is accurate.

Despite me lamenting his total lack of contested ability before he does have a happy knack of getting a lot of uncontested intercepts.

What it shows is that we need to be at the top of our game in midfield pressure for him to be effective.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Has had a good year. A better year than DBJ and Houston have had. In our current run of good form he hasn't played a bad game and has had as many important moments as a lot of other players.

The question becomes though, with MG out, do we move him to the forward line where he started the season, and bring in someone else to play across the back line?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back