Rioli or Selwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

I pose a question to all you narrow minded posters out there, 3 or 4 years ago if someone was to compare Ablett Jr to Chris Judd in a Poll like this what would have to response been? Im not saying Rioli will ever get to Ablett Jnr standard even though I think he has to talent to reach a similar level and Im not saying that he will ever be better than Selwood but I think too many posters are too quick to say that there is absolutely no chance that Rioli can ever be better.. How do you know that this is not going to happen, you would never have thought that Ablett Jnr would ever be as good as Judd and looked what happened..

Based on potential I would say Rioli has every chance of being as good as Selwood one day, he is definitely one of the most naturally gifted footballers I have ever seen, no doubt that Selwood has him covered to this point and may well have him covered throughout their careers but it is ridiculous to give Rioli no chance like most of you have!

I think you need to see the poll in the context of Podgy's obsession. I agree Cyril is a very, very exciting footballer, but it's all crystal ball stuff atm. There is a history of young indigenous players like Rioli fading away after a few seasons, but that's not to say he will follow that path. I hope he doesn't.
But Rioli is not as effective as Selwood atm IMO, and until such time as Cyril goes into the MF and performs consistently it's a no contest.
To some degree, there are some at Geelong, myself included, who still believe that with time and 1 or 2 injury free pre-seasons, Tom Hawkins will become a dominant KPP, based on his natural ability, desire and the flashes he has shown, but I would suggest that if I started a poll to say he would be better than Roughead, I would get crucified.
Only an idiot, though would not see Rioli's talent...but he's not the Messiah (yet)...he's just a very naughty boy!

Didn't hodgpodge start a poll about this last season?

And wasn't the result the same?

And didn't it end in a slanging match with some Hawks supporters saying 'you're all just sheep who follow what everyone else is doing', instead of just accepting that people rate Selwood higher because he's a better footballer?

Thought so.

Didn't hodgpodge start a poll about this last season?

And wasn't the result the same?

And didn't it end in a slanging match with some Hawks supporters saying 'you're all just sheep who follow what everyone else is doing', instead of just accepting that people rate Selwood higher because he's a better footballer?

Thought so.
Is this the thread ?
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528267
Another one that backfired on Podgey.Even Cotchin is rated better than Rioli.

I don't see where the improvement will come. He'll never be quick, or an elite kick. He already has the engine and is already racking up lots of possessions per game. He won't get tougher, he's about as big as he will get. He won't get any smarter, he's a smart footballer, but that probably won't improve a hell of a lot either.

Can you also tell me what Saturdays night tatts numbers will be nostradamus (hodgepodge)?

Can you also tell me what Saturdays night tatts numbers will be nostradamus (hodgepodge)?

You don't have to be Nostradamus, there are just some footballers who don't have a lot of upside. Rioli has an enormous amount of scope and also lots of room for improvement, and I believe he'll be better than Selwood.

Great game again from Rioli last night. He definitely looked the goods in the midfield and will probably go past Selwood in the not too distant future.

This will be an ongoing poll, I will refresh it again next year, etc. Rioli has a lot of development yet to come, whilst Selwood has more or less peaked.

I voted the first option.

This will be an ongoing poll, I will refresh it again next year, etc. Rioli has a lot of development yet to come, whilst Selwood has more or less peaked.

Even if Selwood has peaked at the age of 20 or 21 or whatever he is, he is bloody awesome and in like the top 20 players or something ridiculus for a player his age. Also, I see Selwood getting better each week.

Lastly, Rioli may well be a top10 player in the future, it's just Selwood will be a top3 IMO.

how the **** would you know if he has peaked...?
what gives you the authority on player potential...
both are great players, with selwood atm being easily better (no slight on rioli), and i would think as they are both very young that they both have massive improvements ahead of them

TC:eek:

Rioli leads in i50s, goals, goal assists, marks.

He also leads in tackles and contested possessions :thumbsu:

Selwood leads in possessions and 1%ers

Ah, nope. Selwood leads in contested possessions. :thumbsu: You'd expect a small forward to have more inside 50s, goals, goal assists and marks than an inside midfielder, yes? Just like you'd expect Joel to have more clearances than Rioli, which amazingly, he does.

Selwood also demolishes Rioli in terms of effective disposals. In the washup Joel averages 21.3 effective disposals per game, Rioli only 10.9. And you can cut the crap about kicking to contests dropping your efficiency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

80% of BigFooty's members disagree, they don't think the result will change.

I'd say you should take off those pretty little rose coloured glasses.

hey hodgepodge have a look at selwoods game today,tell us what we all know that there is no way rioli is anywhere near him.there is no catching this gun midfielder he even outshines alot of geelongs premier onballers and he is only still learning the game at age 20.

Lastly, Rioli may well be a top10 player in the future, it's just Selwood will be a top3 IMO.

Would not swap Rioli for Selwood no way! Any player who has the ability and skills to be the nu 1 player in the comp compared to someone who can never be. If Riloi averages 25 possessions a game in a season he will win a Charlie no problem. If Selwood acheives this he will be up against a few others doing the same!

Would not swap Rioli for Selwood no way! Any player who has the ability and skills to be the nu 1 player in the comp compared to someone who can never be. If Riloi averages 25 possessions a game in a season he will win a Charlie no problem. If Selwood acheives this he will be up against a few others doing the same!

fantastic because that option will NEVER be given to you

TC:eek:

Ah, nope. Selwood leads in contested possessions. :thumbsu: You'd expect a small forward to have more inside 50s, goals, goal assists and marks than an inside midfielder, yes?

Rioli has been playing in the midfield, with 17 possessions a game to Selwood's 28 or so. You'd expect the latter to be higher on all these counts.

Just like you'd expect Joel to have more clearances than Rioli, which amazingly, he does.

Selwood also demolishes Rioli in terms of effective disposals. In the washup Joel averages 21.3 effective disposals per game, Rioli only 10.9. And you can cut the crap about kicking to contests dropping your efficiency.

Effective disposal percentage is a proprietary stat which stipulates that a kick to a contest is not an effective disposal unless the teammates takes the grab. A lot of players with high i50 rates have low Eff% for this reason.

I didn't say that Rioli is better than Selwood atm, but he will be, imo. I don't see a lot of upside with Selwood.

Hodgepodge said:
I don't see a lot of upside with Selwood.

This is either false and you're trolling or you're a poor judge of footballing talent. A 20 year old with 50 games under his belt that continues to improve has no upside? Ridiculous. Most footballing commentators liken him to Voss and recognise that he has the potential to become a top 3 player in the competition, please enlighten us as to how they're wrong.

This is either false and you're trolling or you're a poor judge of footballing talent. A 20 year old with 50 games under his belt that continues to improve has no upside? Ridiculous. Most footballing commentators liken him to Voss and recognise that he has the potential to become a top 3 player in the competition, please enlighten us as to how they're wrong.

Not saying they're wrong, I had him 6th last year in my youtube video. Just don't see a lot of scope or upside in him, whereas there is heaps of upside in Cyril.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rioli or Selwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back