Rioli or Selwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not saying they're wrong, I had him 6th last year in my youtube video. Just don't see a lot of scope or upside in him, whereas there is heaps of upside in Cyril.

Well, if you're saying there's no upside to Selwood then you're saying they're wrong. Try to define what you mean by upside. Do you think Selwood won't be able to improve his ball winning ability, his own DE%, his tackling, his goal kicking and his reading of the play whereas Rioli will?

Well, if you're saying there's no upside to Selwood then you're saying they're wrong. Try to define what you mean by upside. Do you think Selwood won't be able to improve his ball winning ability, his own DE%, his tackling, his goal kicking and his reading of the play whereas Rioli will?

I don't think Selwood will improve his ball winning, DE%, reading of the play, tackling a whole lot. He seems to have had those attributes from the beginning . . . there's only so much possession you can get.

I don't think Rioli will improve his tackling a whole lot either, although he has a lot more work to do on strength which may help his tackling. Reading of the play, ballwinning should continue to improve. DE% isn't a problem, he's a good user of the football, this stat lowers when the target doesn't take the grab.

Selwood could improve his goal kicking, and that would be a big bonus to his game.

Rioli will improve his fitness and strength and eventually become a full-time rover. Overall he has more weapons in his game than Selwood does, but he's taking a little longer to develop. By weapons I'm talking speed, overhead mark, stuff like that.

I don't think Selwood will improve his ball winning, DE%, reading of the play, tackling a whole lot. He seems to have had those attributes from the beginning . . . there's only so much possession you can get.

Of course he will improve, he's 20. Based on his game it's pretty dense to suggest otherwise. Since his debut in 2007 his average disposal count has increased by 10, that's 10 more disposals a game. His use of the ball and decision making continues to improve, which you'd know if you watched games instead of stats. On top of all of that the calibre of his opponent has improved and he has carried on with his natural game uneffected. Case in point, Sydney had him go head to head with Kirk: Joel had 34 touches, 6 marks, 4 tackles and it was between him and SJ for best on ground.

80% of the posters in this thread believe he will improve, respected footy commentators around Australia (including Leigh Matthews) believe he will improve, but, for some reason, you don't think he'll improve. I'll take the likes of Hird's and Matthews' opinions over your biased one everytime.

Would not swap Rioli for Selwood no way! Any player who has the ability and skills to be the nu 1 player in the comp compared to someone who can never be. If Riloi averages 25 possessions a game in a season he will win a Charlie no problem. If Selwood acheives this he will be up against a few others doing the same!
Selwood does not have the ability to become the number 1 player in the comp? Are you serious?

I don't think Rioli will improve his tackling a whole lot either, although he has a lot more work to do on strength which may help his tackling. Reading of the play, ballwinning should continue to improve. DE% isn't a problem, he's a good user of the football, this stat lowers when the target doesn't take the grab.

Selwood could improve his goal kicking, and that would be a big bonus to his game.

Rioli will improve his fitness and strength and eventually become a full-time rover. Overall he has more weapons in his game than Selwood does, but he's taking a little longer to develop. By weapons I'm talking speed, overhead mark, stuff like that.

not sure where to start with all the faults in that post, a tough one, i will first touch on the ED stat you mention.

out of all the teams in the afl, hawthorn are the least that kick to packs, they play zones all over the ground when the opposition has the ball, and then run off loose around the ground when a turnover is created, their is no kicking to conjested situations in the hawthorn game style, so if anything, the fact that his DE efficiency is much lower then selwoods, is quite astounding, considering aswell that one is a tough inside midfielder being put under pressure most of his possesions like selwood, also recieves hard taggs, something rioli doesnt get, compared to rioli who is a nipp and flash indeginous outside flanker, the quality and skill of their disposals isnt even comparable.

you seem to be under the dillusion that because Selwood is already a star, that he wont get any better, you seem to talk like their is a limit to how good a player can get, well i got an injection of reality for you mate, their isnt, hes the best first 50 game player ever on stats, and like most 20 year olds, he is only going to improve with senior experience, toning, fitness, and more years of being skillfully trained by a proffessional club.

Rioli's never going to be a full time midfielder, he is always going to be a quick nippy outside crumbing forward, he isnt ever going to be able to take strong overhead marks or develop a solid body, he hasnt got the frame for it, he is naturally a very lean agile quick player, and this is what makes him good, none of what makes rioli a good player is going to get any better, as his main assetts are his speed, agility and his tackling, none will improve what so ever.

Selwood certainly has him covered now. I can't see into the future so I can't comment on future player predictions.
For all we know Laycock may become the next Simon Madden.....lols.

people who say selwood has it easy because of the team he is in should take a look at how Joel plays, he is the one out of all our players who puts his head over the ball and gets the contested footy the most, he creates plays and wins the ball himself and sets up others, has from day one on the scene.

what joel does is he charges in like a bull and puts his head over the contested ball, and when you play like this with a heavy tagg on you, the tagger is going to play out of desperation doing anything they possibly can to restrict him getting the ball, be it legal or illegal, as its their duty, when you play like joel does with a heavy tagg, the tagger is always going to give away alot of free kicks, because it is extremely hard to legally restrict a player who goes in and under the packs as hard as joel does.

just look at last weeks game, for a 20 year old to get 34 possessions with brett kirk tightly tagging him is just astounding, absolute champion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selwood's more of an accumulator.

Rioli is simply brilliant, and he also hits the scoreboard occassionally.

I'd go with Selwood for the moment, but I think Rioli will pass him as early as next year.

You'd hope Rioli has more upside because he is miles behind Selwood at the moment. Rioli is a poor mans Travis Varcoe.

Selwood is better then Rioli, but that statement is just ******ed. You have just proven yourself as delusional as posters like HP, GC26 etc.

Selwood with a heavy tag >>>>>>>>>>>> Rioli with no tag.

I'd love to be able to compare them with both of them being tagged but I don't think an opposition coach has ever paid Rioli that honour, must be that they don't think he's damaging enough.
Yet Akermanis was sent to Rioli in his first final.......yeah, Rocket obviously doesnt rate him either.:rolleyes:

Yet Akermanis was sent to Rioli in his first final.......yeah, Rocket obviously doesnt rate him either.:rolleyes:

Holy shit, open your other eye. Aker doesn't get sent to anybody. Sounds about right from a Hawthorn supporter though. Aker and Rioli end up playing on eachother and the natural conclusion is that the opposition coach sent a triple Premiership winning, damaging, play-making champion of the game to a 19 year old in his first season who was averaging less than 14 possessions and a goal per game :rolleyes: Sums up this whole thread really.

Holy shit, open your other eye. Aker doesn't get sent to anybody. Sounds about right from a Hawthorn supporter though. Aker and Rioli end up playing on eachother and the natural conclusion is that the opposition coach sent a triple Premiership winning, damaging, play-making champion of the game to a 19 year old in his first season who was averaging less than 14 possessions and a goal per game :rolleyes: Sums up this whole thread really.
So you think Akermanis just happened to be on a back flank - in a final, from the first bounce - by chance??:rolleyes:

So you think Akermanis just happened to be on a back flank - in a final, from the first bounce - by chance??:rolleyes:

Well wouldnt a hard tag be more like a Ling or Kirk or Rawlings when Cyril is in the middle? Rather than Aker on the back flank.

Would he still be as effective or completely shut out of the game? We wont know until we see it i guess.

So your first thought when you see Aker on the HBF is that he's been sent there to tag Rioli? Like I said before, open the other eye.

My first thought would've been that Rocket sent him there to provide a contested mark (given Aker is strong overhead) when the Hawks went inside 50 and to provide the likes of Griffen and Gilbee with support in running it out of defence and through the zone that the Hawks were playing. Your suggestion that he sent one of his best playmakers to tag a kid who, while flashy, wasn't damaging makes much more sense :rolleyes:

I think the goal there was to move players to the backline with good footskills to break the hawthorn zone, also Aker was having a slow patch towards seasons end and a new role might wake him up. Propbably put him on one of your least damaging forwards in the hope he could play off him.

Rioli was good last year, better this year but still not worthy of heavy tags over Hodge Mitchell and Sewell, while Selwood comes right after Ablett alone.

I still think Selwood is better now and will always be but Rioli is starting to sell me I can see him being in the top ten in the league one day with Selwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rioli or Selwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back