List Mgmt. Rioli to Port Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
North don't have to pay him $2m if they pick him, that's his agreed amount with Port. North only have to offer the minimum wage and if he rejects it that's him out for a season. Again, unlikely North waste that pick, but that's the way it works.

Incorrect he enters the PSD with a stipulated price the Club has to accept it .

North don't have to pay him $2m if they pick him, that's his agreed amount with Port. North only have to offer the minimum wage and if he rejects it that's him out for a season. Again, unlikely North waste that pick, but that's the way it works.
A player can name their salary in the pre season draft (look at Martin to Carlton as an example).

If the club pulls the trigger, they pay the asking price

I like how in this example we’re sending him to the PSD and getting nothing for him because the pick we’d get is three below our cutoff.

That seems like a really sensible approach.

The same jokers will be roasting the club if we end up ‘taking a stand’ and not reaching a deal.

It’s a middling trade, just get it done.

Don’t come out empty handed because he WILL get to Port in the PSD.

Sorry for the intrusion, I come in peace.

Just on the Rioli situation, I'm struggling to understand why he would be worth more than a 3rd rounder? If we look at the facts in regards to his history with suspension due to drugs, the limited amount of games played and goals kicked over his career coupled with his age I just don't get it?

Can someone explain his worth to me?
He's worth the sum of his positives and negatives.

On talent alone (if he was 21, injury free, no history, no weight issues) he'd be a better player than most in the late teens.
Obviously not the case, so move on.
His age slides him, his injury issues slide him and his history slides him.
On those alone it would make him a 3rd rounder as you suggest.
BUT...
there's also how much Port think he's worth as a player and talent. This can only be judged by what Port put on the table contract wise.
Firstly - a 4 year deal.
Secondly - On (reportedly) 500k per year.
Thirdly - With no conditions.
This suggests Port think he's a pretty good player who they can get right in body and mind, and keep on the straight and narrow for 4 years.

That ups his value from a 3rd rounder to a pretty solid mid 2nd.

The same jokers will be roasting the club if we end up ‘taking a stand’ and not reaching a deal.

It’s a middling trade, just get it done.

Don’t come out empty handed because he WILL get to Port in the PSD.

Not sure it’s that cut and dried. There’ll be a point at which what we’re being offered is of no value to us and we might be better off “taking a stand”. But that point isn’t “we want a pick in the top 30, 33 isn’t good enough”

So basically an uncontracted player who is being offered a deal higher than their "value" can just walk to the PSD.
It also says a lot about the character of the player to want to see their former club left with no compensation.
Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Rioli agreed to this since he has no emotional attachment to the club.

Last edited:
Couple of things

Firstly, for those people saying we should have just taken 27 and not pushed for more, we don’t even know if that was on the table. It was regarded as a fair trade by most media but never confirmed to have actually been offered, Port have not said what they are offering

Secondly, Port have a history of making multiple pick swaps that at first glance don’t always make sense but position themselves towards an end goal. With that in mind, I’m waiting to see what they do ultimately offer before losing my shit whilst acknowledging that, right now, they look to be confirming their reputation for being campaigners

Finally, the next poster that comes in peace before posting a load of tripe will be peacefully smashed with a ban hammer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just loving the Port fans on our board. They remind me of our Purple Turds but without the intellect or sense of humour. It must be something about stevedoring and overhead cranes that unites them.

(I am sure most Port posters would not understand this post so I'll plug in for some entertainment)

Hey guys sorry for the intrusion I come in peace, if Willie goes to PSD does anyone know if we can just offer him minimum money or do we have to match Port’s offer?
Surely you will need to trade up to pick 1 in the PSD?

Hey guys sorry for the intrusion I come in peace, if Willie goes to PSD does anyone know if we can just offer him minimum money or do we have to match Port’s offer?

9ec0155d12f692cc7d451e853e16dd52.gif

Do we get a compo pick if he goes to the PSD?

That's dumb. How is it different from any of the situations where teams get a compo pick? Team loses free agent, player joins new club. Former club gets a compo. 0 difference

Even Carlton are getting a compo pick for a player who sat out a whole year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back