RIP Cam McCarthy

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all, just a reminder that should today's news be triggering for you then there are resources and people out there which I cannot recommend enough:

Lifeline - 13 11 14
Beyond Blue - 1300 224 636
MensLine Australia - 1300 789 978
Headspace - 1800 650 890

Otherwise feel free to reach out to one of us, or each other.

:purpleheart:

Last edited:
I will always cherish the story about how, as a young bloke just arrived at GWS, he filled a gap in a team meeting (caused by Leon Cameron being late) by hopping up in front of everyone and telling this joke about pot-smoking bush creatures. Great joke. Wrong time. Wrong venue.

We love the wild and loose ones, but often with them it's the wrong time and the wrong venue.

God bless you, Dardy.

I will always cherish the story about how, as a young bloke just arrived at GWS, he filled a gap in a team meeting (caused by Leon Cameron being late) by hopping up in front of everyone and telling this joke about pot-smoking bush creatures. Great joke. Wrong time. Wrong venue.

We love the wild and loose ones, but often with them it's the wrong time and the wrong venue.

God bless you, Dardy.

Hahahaha I didn’t know that story. Classic

Incredibly sad. a lost soul.

I always thought he had sad eyes and blowing the insane BAC he did last year signalled some serious self-destruction.

Poor guy.

Our club really has had a streak of sad men who have slipped through.

Standing Ovation, 23 minutes into the first quarter?

For those attending, I think it would be a touching way to pay tribute.
I hate standing ovations. it's crass and a terrible submission that your attendees can't be trusted to be quiet.

The poor bloke died alone in incredibly sad circumstances.

It deserves quiet reflection.

Feel terrible for his family and friends - including blokes like Banfield, Fyfe, Walters, Darcy and anyone else who was on the list with him. Hope those playing tonight honour his memory. RIP Cam.
be very difficult to be in shock and grieving, then concentrate on a game of footy :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate standing ovations. it's crass and a terrible submission that your attendees can't be trusted to be quiet.

Strange take.

If I was to suggest a minute silence it would be prior to the game, not during.

The standing ovation at 23 minutes, 23 being the number he wore for us, in celebration of a man who put on the jersey we're all so proud to support.

Strange take.

If I was to suggest a minute silence it would be prior to the game, not during.

The standing ovation at 23 minutes, 23 being the number he wore for us, in celebration of a man who put on the jersey we're all so proud to support.
People deal with grief in different ways, none of which is right or wrong. The best thing is to let people deal with it in their own way.

News.com.au going with the disgusting “Forgotten former AFL star dead at 29” as the headline. No name. I hope someone at the club or just people in general put the boot in. Imagine a family member coming across it.
am glad that The West and PerthNow have stopped people being able to comment

"The South Fremantle Football Club is deeply saddened by the passing of former player Cam McCarthy.

A South zoned junior from the South Coogee JFC, McCarthy was drafted pick 14 in 2013 to the GWS Giants direct from the South Colts program, before returning to WA in 2017 to play with the Fremantle Dockers.

In 2021, Cam rejoined South Fremantle and played WAFL footy in both the 2021 & 2022 seasons.

Cam is remembered not just as a prodigious football talent, but as a popular, compassionate and caring person who had time for everyone at our Club. He will be dearly missed.

The entire South Fremantle Football Club community offers condolences to the McCarthy family at this difficult time."

News.com.au going with the disgusting “Forgotten former AFL star dead at 29” as the headline. No name. I hope someone at the club or just people in general put the boot in. Imagine a family member coming across it.

F***** !! News.com.au !!

I hate how so many (not in this board) are assuming he died from suicide, when even The West have said he had epilepsy

I think there's a few indicia in the way it's reported that indicates that the cause of death is likely suicide. Not treated as suspicious (i.e. they know what the cause of death is) and lifeline link at the bottom of the article. If the cause of death was not yet determined (like an epileptic fit) the reporting would be different

I think there's a few indicia in the way it's reported that indicates that the cause of death is likely suicide. Not treated as suspicious (i.e. they know what the cause of death is) and lifeline link at the bottom of the article. If the cause of death was not yet determined (like an epileptic fit) the reporting would be different
It's reported on Perth Now about him having epilepsy and there was going to be a coronial inquest

No media is truly reliable

Remove this Banner Ad

RIP Cam McCarthy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back