Certified Legendary Thread RIP - Ron Barassi, the passing of a legend

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say winning North's 1st flag with Hollywood style was #1.
Fair enough. That was a magical side.

I went to the footy with a retired player back in the 1990s, and we ran into Ron near Gate 5 at the G. He was sitting by himself, waiting for someone.

Nearby that flog Rex Hunt (who was at the height of his fame as a broadcaster, “yibidah yibidah” and all that rot) was being swarmed by kids looking for autographs. Rex was laughing it up, and lapping it up too.

I thought Ron looked a bit wistful, I mean he was twice the player Hunt ever was, on top of his other exploits. So even though he was Collingwood’s greatest enemy I told him a little joke.

”Hey Ron, what smells like fish and ends in U N T”

The great man reflected (his moustache would sort of twitch when he was thinking) and he shot back in his inimitable voice “Rrrrrex. Hunt.”

An absolute giant of footy. An immortal.

The Premiership Cup should be named after him.
Good call this.

Amongst the very very best when it comes to impact on the game.

Fair enough. That was a magical side.

I went to the footy with a retired player back in the 1990s, and we ran into Ron near Gate 5 at the G. He was sitting by himself, waiting for someone.

Nearby that flog Rex Hunt (who was at the height of his fame as a broadcaster, “yibidah yibidah” and all that rot) was being swarmed by kids looking for autographs. Rex was laughing it up, and lapping it up too.

I thought Ron looked a bit wistful, I mean he was twice the player Hunt ever was, on top of his other exploits. So even though he was Collingwood’s greatest enemy I told him a little joke.

”Hey Ron, what smells like fish and ends in U N T”

The great man reflected (his moustache would sort of twitch when he was thinking) and he shot back in his inimitable voice “Rrrrrex. Hunt.”
They had a well publicized falling out, couldn't get two more opposite folk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before there were the 4 boxing kings Duran, Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, we had the four coaching giants Kennedy, Jeans, Hafey, Barrasi, all fierce and unrelenting. It was a magical time of hard nosed coaches and teams. Sadly, they are all gone now.

Legend of our great game gone. 😓

RIP mate and no one will forget the impact you had on the game.

Deserves a state funeral.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread RIP - Ron Barassi, the passing of a legend

Remove this Banner Ad

Back