Certified Legendary Thread RIP - Ron Barassi, the passing of a legend

Remove this Banner Ad

Not often you are a legend at 4 clubs

It is nuts when you think about it.

A leviathan at four clubs for various reasons.

You feel like it will never happen again.

I didn’t know that. What was it about.
An on radio tiff, Ron accused Rex of being disrespectful to him with his childish antics. It's so long ago now I can't recall if Ron just walked out once, or if he left the commentary team permanently. Someone else may have better recall than me.

Name the cup after him. The single biggest influence on our game. A legend at 4 clubs, rebuilt the sport in NSW, broke long droughts at 2 clubs. Played and coached across 5 decades. And remained a titan even into his later years, only stepping back when health meant he couldn’t be as involved anymore.

We’ve all been lucky to be witness, or to be touched by, his greatness for the sport.

Pregame on the scoreboard last night was a fitting tribute to his football life. It was a great one. Hope he got to see it .

Always signed his autograph with the 17410... 17 grand finals 4 10 premierships.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

An on radio tiff, Ron accused Rex of being disrespectful to him with his childish antics. It's so long ago now I can't recall if Ron just walked out once, or if he left the commentary team permanently. Someone else may have better recall than me.
Hunt didn’t call the game just made silly noises.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad news, a true legend of the game and he seemed like a ripping bloke too.

Unfortunately I was too young to remember him as a player or even his glory days as a coach but I love some of the old footage of him.

None better than this old footage of him storming out on to the ground with crutches to give North another all mighty spray.

An enormous loss. He seemed almost invincible, despite his advanced years still getting to the football etc.

A true legend of our game. His domination of the VFL of course, but his work in Sydney and championing of the game on a national basis was amazing. What a legacy. Very sad news, he was truly one of a kind. Vale Ron
:(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back