RIP Shane Tuck

Remove this Banner Ad

This has been devastating news To hear for me.

Met Tucky only the one time working many many years ago on Bridge Road in Richmond and he was without a doubt the absolute nicest f**king bloke I’ve ever met. Even in that one meeting he had an impact on me. Not a shred of pretension about him. Talked to me like I was one of his mates.

Gutted.

RIP Legend.

That’s just how I would describe him, well said.

R.I.P. Tucky

I met Tucky once at a function towards the end of his playing days. We talked about whether he going go around for another season. I remember it was when he was out of favour and wasn't getting picked as often. I think he said he was on one of those contracts that required him to play a minimum number of games to go around again the next year or something like that - anyway I remember there being some sort of uncertainty about it. I remember feeling bad for him at the time having that uncertainty about job security and I remember thinking he was underappreciated at the time, but he talked about it matter of factly, he wasn't complaining.

Found this quote from him from an article which I thinks captures that honest effort we all knew.

"I just want to try my best, hang in there and be successful. If you work hard and do the right things, it just seems to work out," he said.

Vale Tucky.

R.I.P Tucky.

You were one of the few reasons I went to the footy in an era when too few were warriors.

Thanks for posting the footage, abc, been really ruing the fact all my games are a couple of thousand kilometres away in boxes tonight.

His best game, in my opinion, was the one against Port Adelaide in 2010. It suited his skill set to a tee. He went in so hard in the driving rain and just slammed it forward, fearless and hard as always. Then he fell out of favour with Dimma in 2011 because Dimma was trying to recreate the Hawthorn game plan and that was anathema to a bloke like Tuck. Funny when you think about his family connection with Hawthorn. But he forced his way back into the team and got to play some finals footy. I cried after that win against Port. We were worse than Fitzroy. The bookies had paid out anyone who had bet on us for a wooden spoon. I didn't cry in 2017 funnily enough, but I cried in 2010. I shed some more tears just now reading about this. I don't know what the problem was Tucky. I can speculate but that would be pointless. You were a beautiful enigma - a Tuck with an Ablett mother. If bloodlines meant anything in footy, all you missed was a bit of Rioli to make you worth a billion. You didn't play like that. But Christ we loved what you brought. You and Jacko were the tough minders that freed Cotch up in 2013 to play the style that won him a Brownlow. Your loss from the team has forced him to learn to play a different, more limited role. We have missed you. We will always miss you.

Very well said, Royce, as usual. :thumbsu:

Was so proud of how Tucky fought his way back into the side and arguably played better than ever. Seemed at times like not only the majority of Tigers, but half the AFL fans in the country were hammering Hardwick to play him, the issue was eventually getting mentioned every interview until he finally relented.

That 2010 Port game was one of his finest, had 31 disposals, 8 clearances and a colossal 14 tackles. The clearance/goal assist handball from down on his knees with 10:43 left in the 1st quarter is as elite as clearances get - and just for good measure he did it left handed.

The game is actually available online, highly recommend it to everyone whether it's a first view or some wonderful nostalgia, at least check out the clearance mentioned above, it was vintage Tucky at his best:

His retirement speech was classic too, from memory, the first thing he did, standing there in front of the group in his unassuming shy way, was offering to do a rain dance like a stripper in front of Dimma to get an extra year. The whole room erupted in laughter.

Tough and hard as nails footballer. We all have fond memories of him playing in the wet at the G banging the ball forward, always at the bottom of the pack, elite clearance work.

Above all though, what a beautiful human being, watching one of his post-match interviews you could tell he always had time for a chat, and I love reading and hearing these stories from fans that he engaged with you like he knew you as a close mate, he was just that type of person.

I can’t believe he’s no longer with us.

Rest In Peace, Tucky. ♥️ :(

Vale Tucky. A tougher, more honest footballer you wouldn't find. From not just a footy dynasty but a quality family, from my home town. I remember the recently-retired AFL games record holder running the boundary for his son's under-11 footy team in 1992.

Check in on your mates. The ones who need it won't reach out, no matter how often you tell them you're there if they need you. They need you to make the call.

I am so sick of fit, healthy, young men dying. It breaks my heart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His retirement speech was classic too, from memory, the first thing he did, standing there in front of the group in his unassuming shy way, was offering to do a rain dance like a stripper in front of Dimma to get an extra year. The whole room erupted in laughter.

Tough and hard as nails footballer. We all have fond memories of him playing in the wet at the G banging the ball forward, always at the bottom of the pack, elite clearance work.

Above all though, what a beautiful human being, watching one of his post-match interviews you could tell he always had time for a chat, and I love reading and hearing these stories from fans that he engaged with you like he knew you as a close mate, he was just that type of person.

I can’t believe he’s no longer with us.

Rest In Peace, Tucky. :(
I am with you.
I woke up and went for a walk this morning, just thinking about Tucky and his family. How terribly difficult and sad for them all.
It is just so tragic..
The black dog for some is the hardest tag of all to shake, and we live in a society where perception and pride is held higher than vulnerability and weakness. Things need to change.
Its okay not to be okay, empty the bottle within, there are people, friends and experts there to help.
I have young kids, my first thoughts are with them today, followed by the family.
Just tragic, loved Richmond man throughout the league. Will be missed.......

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was at the Hawthorn Richmond game in 2013 when you guys won convincingly, Richmond supporters were very loud that day but you went up another level when Tucky kicked the sealer, the love for him was palpable, I remember thinking at the time he must have had a big impact on your club. So sad, RIP
I remember that, I was at the same game, flew down from Brisbane for it, first game at the MCG in years and he broke my heart that day. The the whole Richmond team were super impressive that day. Only team not Geelong to beat us that year.

Sad news, brought tears to my eyes, which events at other clubs rarely do. As sad as it is for his parents and siblings, he also had a wife and 2 young kids, which is I think what hit me the most. The passing of someone this young is a loss to our society as a whole. I saw both Shane and his father play, and what stands out from many photos in the media and on BF today is how much he looks like Michael. Condolences and best wishes to everyone affected, stay safe, and if you need it, please ask for help.

He was never the stand out star because he was workmanlike. He lacked pace but was heaps good in close. He had decent skills, but his skills would also regularly let him down. He was a journeyman to a T. He was the typical Tiger of the dark years.

His last couple of years was upsetting to watch as a football fan. He wasn't getting games at all and if he did, it was sparingly. He wasn't part of the future. Why put games into a limited footballer. Why invest in him when we had young players coming through. But unfortunately during that period of time it was tough. We were a team filled with inexperienced players , playing up against hardened men. Losing to GC, losing to Carlton by 100 points or so. Tuck was that lone sandbag that was up against the flood. He protected. He dived in head first. He put his body on the line. He was an honest battler. The most courageous player during that bleak period of time.

I liked him a lot as a player. He was that unpolished rough player that extracted everything that he could from himself. In ever single interview that he had, he was always smiling and shy around the cameras. He was like the big brother, the one that stopped his team mate from being bullied. He was the one that went down there and got the ball to feed to the guns. He was Richmond of the old days.

A funny story from back in the days when he was still playing. Some old boys and girls here would remember this thread. Back in 2012, he was nominated for CGU Most Courageous Player and the public was allowed to vote on who they thing is the most courageous player. The dumb thing back then was that you can vote however many times you want. 54,832 votes for Tuck. He won it by a country mile, followed by St Kilda Pleb at 45,000 or so, then daylight then Scott McMahon at 1400 votes. He is definitely Richmond's most courageous player. If you want to have a read of the thread it's here - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/cgu-unsung-hero-of-the-year-vote-for-tucky.970713/

It's sad news that Shane is now gone. He was an important and often neglected and forgotten Tiger player but it seems that he holds a place in most people's heart.

RIP Shane. I really feel empty hearing him pass.
That's an absolute cracker haha. Thanks for sharing, forgot all about that

This one hurts.

In a time where you’d usually leave the MCG disappointed/embarrassed by the team’s performance, you’d always leave proud of Shane’s performance - could hold his head up high week in week out.

I remember being so angry in the early years of Dimma’s reign when Shane was out of favour, and conversely, so happy when he forced his way back in. Was one of our most important players in that last season or two of his career.

I remember how shattered I was when he fractured his scapula early in the season (2013/2014?), I don’t think he ever really made it back after that. I’m pretty sure he was also coming off a career best year and at a point where he was most vital to the team.

Shielded the younger guys like Cotchin and Martin. Without his protection, Cotchin may never have won that 2012 Brownlow.

Remove this Banner Ad

RIP Shane Tuck

Remove this Banner Ad

Back