Player Watch Rising Star 2022 Discussion

Who wins the 2022 Rising Star?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

agree.
only put him in cos he was part of the sat night primetime and really lit up when the game was on the line. plus I'll admit, elements of the AFL community get over excited with us and our players. Would be typical to see him get a nod (just as Martin did in Rd/1 after Rachele won the Crows a game off his own boot)

I'd honestly go Rioli this week. no offence to Chapman, who also played excellent, but it was against witches hats....in fact, worse than.
Stats won't tell the story but his team efforts and little 1% acts were excellent.

Maurice is a goodun, but don’t pump his tyres so vigorously, so early in his career.

I’ve see all the Rioli’s play ( back to Sebbie ), I love em, but some of the latest Rioli’s need to get bedded in before the pumping starts.

Maurice is a goodun, but don’t pump his tyres so vigorously, so early in his career.

I’ve see all the Rioli’s play ( back to Sebbie ), I love em, but some of the latest Rioli’s need to get bedded in before the pumping starts.
good game on sat and worthy of a rising star nod in isolation
I hadn't expected it either given I hadn't really seen much to indicate he had it in him to date.

agree.
only put him in cos he was part of the sat night primetime and really lit up when the game was on the line. plus I'll admit, elements of the AFL community get over excited with us and our players. Would be typical to see him get a nod (just as Martin did in Rd/1 after Rachele won the Crows a game off his own boot)

I'd honestly go Rioli this week. no offence to Chapman, who also played excellent, but it was against witches hats....in fact, worse than.
Stats won't tell the story but his team efforts and little 1% acts were excellent.

Chapman had 7 x 1%ers, Rioli had 2.

Chapman has had his 3rd game polling multiple coaches votes (I suspect no other rising star eligible player has that many), in another game he won the game with a single act, missed two games with COVID, he is a freak 1 on 1 and imo will be our best player in 2-3 years.

Gibus is now the 2nd rated bottom age player in the official player ratings behind only Rachelle yet doesn't seem to be getting any love from the media.
What the hell are official player rankings and bottom age players, and what relevance does it have to the RS winner.

Based on the eye test, and not projecting long term careers, Nick Martin should be the clear RS fave this year. I'd rate Chapman then Bowey next.

Honestly, if you polled Freo posters on here, the vast majority would have Chapman as our highest ceiling talent under 25. Kid could be absolutely anything

WA lad too, which is fantastic for you guys too.

You got O'Driscoll too that draft too, pretty impressive stuff from Freo, given you went into that draft on a points defecit.

Really impressed with your recruiting team, seek to have struck gold in most of the previous 3 or 4 drafts.

Currently going at 85% disposal efficiency for the year.
Don't get me wrong, Chapman is a jet. But disposal efficiency is probably the most overrated statistic in the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get me wrong, Chapman is a jet. But disposal efficiency is probably the most overrated statistic in the game
What stat do you use to show someone is a fantastic user of the ball?

Against North, he had 25 disposals (11 kicks), 92% efficiency with 10 contested so he's not just playing kick to kick in the backline switching it. Players still cough the ball up doing that so it is nice to have a player with a decent kick.

What the hell are official player rankings and bottom age players, and what relevance does it have to the RS winner.

Based on the eye test, and not projecting long term careers, Nick Martin should be the clear RS fave this year. I'd rate Chapman then Bowey next.
You're kidding right? Being rated above JHF, Daicos, Ward etc means something doesn't it? Very rare for a 1st year key defender to be doing what hes doing....

I didnt say he was going to win. Dees fans will always find a way to insert their club in somewhere I guess.

Currently going at 85% disposal efficiency for the year.
That’s overrated unless it also is in conjunction with a strong level of metres gained. Playing safe and kicking it short or handballing to a player close by will improve you efficiency.

Looking over the course of the year so far.

Think the top 5 in no order would include.
Newcombe
Daicos
JHF
Martin
Bowey/Rachele?

Think Newcombe has been the big darkhorse and is a huge chance to take it out. Daicos has been class off HB, JHF is in a tough role for a poor club but has performed well enough as the no1 pick, Martin is pure awesome and Bowey has been ultra consistent with Rachele as a small forward he'll drop in and out of games but his ability is undoubted and has had some big games so far.

You're kidding right? Being rated above JHF, Daicos, Ward etc means something doesn't it? Very rare for a 1st year key defender to be doing what hes doing....
Ward is nowhere near this conversation. Not sure why you mentioned him.

But yes I think Gisbus is a good get and his time will come.

What stat do you use to show someone is a fantastic user of the ball?

Against North, he had 25 disposals (11 kicks), 92% efficiency with 10 contested so he's not just playing kick to kick in the backline switching it. Players still cough the ball up doing that so it is nice to have a player with a decent kick.
They don't release a retention rate stat. Disposal efficiency is inherently flawed as any kick that travels 40 metres and isn't an intercept mark is considered efficient. A handball that travels 2 metres that hits the target that is immediately tackled the same. However an underground handball releasing a player is considered inefficient.

That’s overrated unless it also is in conjunction with a strong level of metres gained. Playing safe and kicking it short or handballing to a player close by will improve you efficiency.
Found a metres gained stat of 210 average for him for the year. I suppose that stat can also be misleading in itself as the number reduces if you switch it backwards.

Newcombe
Daicos
JHF
Martin
Bowey/Rachele?

Think Newcombe has been the big darkhorse and is a huge chance to take it out. Daicos has been class off HB, JHF is in a tough role for a poor club but has performed well enough as the no1 pick, Martin is pure awesome and Bowey has been ultra consistent with Rachele as a small forward he'll drop in and out of games but his ability is undoubted and has had some big games so far.

Sorry bur Newcombe is not close in the top 5 conversation, Gibcus has been more impressive . Bowey too.

Newcombe
Daicos
JHF
Martin
Bowey/Rachele?

Chapman has to be in the conversation right now

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rising Star 2022 Discussion

Back