Game Day Rnd 1 - Carlton v Richmond Game Day Discussion & Autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

It's easy to be skeptical when people say a young freshly drafted highly rated player is "ready to go" but he really is. Exceptional cool head and composure for an 18 year old KPD and he moves like a midfielder.

Had I been a newcomer to the game and was told he was a 150 game + veteran I would have believed it. Very natural footballer.

Terrific effort.

Structures fell to pieces in the last quarter, just couldn't control the footy at any stage.

Mids were good, got some genuine footy through the middle. The Krooz, Murph, Gibbs, Cripps thing works. Kerridge & Curnow were good.

Backline is a dogs breakfast, Doc was terrific with the 1%........and Weitering just blew my mind.

Forwards - Wright took his chances, Casboult moved about, he's a great mark................and that is it.

At times we owned the footy, 2nd quarter in particular, but couldn't show it on the scoreboard.

Murph ran out of puff, some dumb 50 penalties early, and Casboult can't kick . That's it

So did Cripps.
There were a few pivotal moments in the game that we didn't take, but all in all i'm very happy with our footy club tonight.

mixed feelings. disappointed but happy. could of won but we are so much better than last year and have heaps of upside. game style is good to watch. by years end our side will be very different. a number of younger players will push in. cripps & murphy needed the run. we will get better & better. weitering is incredible for one so young. boekhurst has convinced me he will be good. ball use and depth did us in the end. look forward to having plowman curnow byrne whiley in the side soon. better than others

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought buckley played his role sure it would have been good if he picked up 15 touches but he pressured hard and played his role.
White fire me was the disappointment, he's definitely in the gun.
Vickery always looks like a champion against us.

Forward line needs work
Tackling a little disappointing
Disposal sloppy at times

But

Intent was very good.
Clear game plan
Always runners available
And players showed good vision, like they anticipated the free players

Overall a very good showing

We dish up that and we win 6-8 matches this year..

If you're looking at the long term/big picture, you have to be over the moon with that performance.

If you're looking at this game in isolation, you have to be disappointed With that result. We had them, we were better than them for 80% of the game, in a winning position, it was a few moments let us down, we lost it, they certainly didn't beat us...
What impressed me most was we just kept coming, can't say I've seen that in a Carlton side for quite some time, skill errors when the whips were cracking in the last killed us, but we kept coming, the belief is stong in us, tidy up the polish a bit when fatigue is at its most extreme points in the last quarters

I hate saying anything positive about any Richmond players, but Rance put on a clinic tonight. He was a one man brick wall, was the difference in the end...

I agree he was very good tonight but for some reason, we refused to tackle him which made his job a little easier.

And the same went for Martin, one good bear-hug on the little mug may have slowed him down a little. As it was, he had way too much influence when they really needed it.

I have to admit as good as we know Cripps is and while he didn't quite get the goal (touched), I never expected him to pull off a kick like that at goal, on the move and under pressure and to be so gun barrel straight. He's becoming much more rounded in his game than I ever thought he would.

Good signs but pretty disappointed. We smashed their midfield and controlled most of the game, we really should have won.

So much to like and be positive about, but **** me Casboult - how can he be such a bad kick? He slots the first goal of the last quarter and that gives us a 3 goal lead which would make it difficult for the tiges. They then go straight on the rebound and get momentum. It's not a hard kick and he's played plenty of AFL games now so why the **** does he still not know how to drop a ball?

Cripps is nek level. I'll be surprised if he doesn't win a Brownlow at some point in his career. Good to see Gibbs play the game we know he's capable of too, Murphy also. Actually, funny how much we forget how good some of our players are. They've been de-Malthoused :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Rnd 1 - Carlton v Richmond Game Day Discussion & Autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back