Preview Rnd 1 - Fremantle vs North Melbourne 24th March 3:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Hamling or Pearce take Brown? AFL Preview saying Hamling did it last season and did a good job so should get it again. Wood seems the only other tall player at 192 cm, and Ziebell is a pretty strong player in the air.

I would have thought Pearce on Brown, Hamling on Wood and maybe Hughes on Ziebell.

Does Hamling or Pearce take Brown? AFL Preview saying Hamling did it last season and did a good job so should get it again. Wood seems the only other tall player at 192 cm, and Ziebell is a pretty strong player in the air.

I would have thought Pearce on Brown, Hamling on Wood and maybe Hughes on Ziebell.
Hamling. He does well on him. But you can’t like the midfield deliver kicks to him on the lead, he’s unstoppable with his reach.
Please no Hamling on small forwards. He was garbage all JLT for that reason. Tucker would be a great match up on Ziebell, he’s in form and by ore season he loves to inside stuff. I back him with the tackling

That's a win for us. Lobb should beat him in the ruck and if Brown is rucking he isn't cluncking them in the forward line.

Probably Brown would do some of the rucking if the ball is inside 50m near goal but I suppose Goldstein might spend some time up forward which probably would entail Pearce swapping with Hamling.

Just saying its a different kind of North side than previous with a bit more run. In the past they would have 3 bigs up forward and 3 bigs down back.

34FE371D-8483-4E60-95CA-6723F8AE0014.jpeg

Roos have 13 guys with over 100 games compared to our 6. Expect a strong finish from them. So we’ll lose a bit of percentage in the last qrt but still bank the 4 points.

I don't know to be honest but I hope by the end of the season we can say that he is.
If he was the best forward/ruck, that would be amazing for us.

I actually want a third ruck option in the best 22. Someone like Logue, just to mix things up. I expect to see rucks becoming a lot more mobile, and in fact it is something that concerns me about Darcy. Looking forward to see how his pre-season has prepared him. Definitely looking leaner.

I actually want a third ruck option in the best 22. Someone like Logue, just to mix things up. I expect to see rucks becoming a lot more mobile, and in fact it is something that concerns me about Darcy. Looking forward to see how his pre-season has prepared him. Definitely looking leaner.
Darcy is being trained up to be the scariest tagger in the universe for when he isnt ruck dogging.

It's something we seriously lacked with Sandilands. If Darcy and Lobb can form a dynamic duo it would go a long way to solving some issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He doesn’t though. Maybe 10% ruck time. Kangaroos hardly ever put him in the ruck

The point being that previously they've had a taller team and they could use Majak as the 2nd ruck when Goldstein needed a rest and only use Brown close to goal.

So lets say Goldsmith gets a knock and has to go to the bench for 20 minutes, who do they have to take over the ruck besides Brown? McKay and Tarrant seem to be the only other ones named in the team with height.

Apart from that there's the fellow they've listed as an emergency, Larkey who is 198cm.

Last edited:
View attachment 640602

Roos have 13 guys with over 100 games compared to our 6. Expect a strong finish from them. So we’ll lose a bit of percentage in the last qrt but still bank the 4 points.
This season, with the new rules, has an air of 2016 about it.

New rules = disruption, which offers better chances for younger teams given all the unknowns and scrambles to adjust across the league.

Need to have the lead and pushing for the win. Feel like Freo need that grunt and arrogance about them. Gawn’s confidence was shot all game. But Lycett had a great game, he was so underrated for West Coast.

I didn’t actually see the game as I was listening to it in the car, but it sounded like they went in with a plan to target Gawn as a group and stymied his effect in the game from the get-go. Not sure if we have the cattle to do so with Goldstein, but a similar approach leaves them with few options to back him up.

Ballas - check the studs on your boots !!!!. Three goals is up for grabs.

Colyer to enjoy the dry running track, remember to pass off the ball after your sprint.

Fyfe, well some grumpy old fart reckons he has a lot to improve on. Just give me your normal best, with bursts of improvement, and I will be ecstatic.

Ballas - check the studs on your boots !!!!. Three goals is up for grabs.

Colyer to enjoy the dry running track, remember to pass off the ball after your sprint.

Fyfe, well some grumpy old fart reckons he has a lot to improve on. Just give me your normal best, with bursts of improvement, and I will be ecstatic.
So far this preseason, it appears Colyer hates the dry running track. Hasn’t got near it and doesn’t fill me with confidence if he’s meant to defen as well.

That was a sensational game by the Dockers today.

I wonder if Lyon will be tempted to play four tall forwards in Hogan, Taberner, McCarthy and Lobb.

Push Hogan up the ground and play him on the wing. Could be a dangerous setup and create a mismatch when Hogan drifts forward. He has the endurance and Melbourne did it with success last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Rnd 1 - Fremantle vs North Melbourne 24th March 3:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back