Preview Rnd 3 Carlton v Collingwood @ MCG Friday 13th April 7.50PM - Team post #483

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rnd 3 Carlton v Collingwood @ MCG Friday 13th April 7.50PM

Jamo played for the Nortern Blues a couple of weeks ago, and then an intra club game last Thursday. As did Duigan. Of course they'll need to cope with the step up in intensity, but that will go for the Collingwood ins which will include Maxwell who hasn't played for a few weeks.

Also, don't underestimate the 2 days extra we have had to prepare for the game. It's widely agreed that this time of year teams run out of steam much quicker than they do in the second half of the year.

Close first half, Carlton to pull away after half time.

Carlton by 13 points.

The two days will be a factor. It isn't ideal for us. We have run out of legs against both the Tigers and Hawks too. But I think thats a legacy of the ammount of younger players in the side more than anything. We played the third youngest side of the round against the Hawks to quantify it. I think bringing in more mature players will help us in this area.

Not sure if its been mentioned or if anyone cares but Walsh has stated that Wellingham has been training and is fine to play. He was rested from the VFL as a precaution. Although you never know it could just be brinkmanship from Walsh.

I wouldn't say super confident is the feeling among most Pies posters. That said I wouldn't underestimate those inclusions. Remembering they will be replacing some pretty inexperienced players. I'm talking less than 10 games. That should make a big difference to us.

It should be an absolute cracking game Quicky. Friday night can't come quick enough. Gong to be 26 degrees, so I really hope both sets of supporters turn out and fill the MCG.

The two days will be a factor. It isn't ideal for us. We have run out of legs against both the Tigers and Hawks too. But I think thats a legacy of the ammount of younger players in the side more than anything. We played the third youngest side of the round against the Hawks to quantify it. I think bringing in more mature players will help us in this area.

Not sure if its been mentioned or if anyone cares but Walsh has stated that Wellingham has been training and is fine to play. He was rested from the VFL as a precaution. Although you never know it could just be brinkmanship from Walsh.

Who does Wellimgham go to - Judd or Murphy?

Who does Wellimgham go to - Judd or Murphy?

Probably Simpson if Thomas is tagged. Judd and Murphy will be a lottery between Ball and Pendlebury I imagine. At the centre bounces anyway. Swan will no doubt be playing minutes on both too. We tend to go head to head in the midfield. The last real tagger we had was Holland.

Yarrans pace off half back poses the pies biggest problem for me, if he gut runs all night like we know he can and breaks through there strong press, it could be party time for the wee fellas up forward, as good a side that the pies have been of recent years, this has to be our best chance in a long time to get a win on the board whilst they aren't at there best :thumbsu:

Blues by 16

Filth supporters - what are your thoughts on the height of your side?

Keefe, Reid, Maxwell, Toovey, Goldsack, Jolly, Wood, Dawes and Cloke

against

Laidler, Jamison, Bower, Henderson, Kreuzer, Hampson, Thornton, Waite...
just look a bit heavy with 9 players who don't give much run against our 8.

Goldsack or Wood to be circumcised? err...cut?

against

You don't seriously think Toovey is a tall do you? You may as well say Pendlebury is a tall too just because he is 190cm. Toovey plays on small forwards most of the time, is very quick and is perfectly capable of providing run.

Goldsack is also not really a tall and has been playing wing this year, can also run and carry if required.

So that makes our 7 heavy guys against your 8...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

against

Think we match up very very well. A couple of those talls you listed for us can play small, which is a huge advantage when you think at how dangerous Carlton's small forward line is. It's where I think we have had you beat the last five times we have played.

Your backs aren't very versatile. Thornton lacks pace to play on someone small if he indeed goes back. Laidler isn't all that agile, and Bower, well, he is known to have some brain fades.

On the other end of the ledger: Waite doesn't worry me at all. We have the best CHB in the competition to negate him. Harry O has been known to towell Eddie and Garlett hasn't really fired a shot against us.... yet. Keefe should play well on Hampson as he has really impressed me in the last couple of weeks.

I'm very confident we'll win, and their certainly won't be any excuses coming from my end. :thumbsu:

Think we match up very very well. A couple of those talls you listed for us can play small, which is a huge advantage when you think at how dangerous Carlton's small forward line is. It's where I think we have had you beat the last five times we have played.

Your backs aren't very versatile. Thornton lacks pace to play on someone small if he indeed goes back. Laidler isn't all that agile, and Bower, well, he is known to have some brain fades.

On the other end of the ledger: Waite doesn't worry me at all. We have the best CHB in the competition to negate him. Harry O has been known to towell Eddie and Garlett hasn't really fired a shot against us.... yet. Keefe should play well on Hampson as he has really impressed me in the last couple of weeks.

I'm very confident we'll win, and their certainly won't be any excuses coming from my end. :thumbsu:

Then u guys should have no problem against Carlton, therefore if u are to lose against such a poorly defensive side such as us with 'Brain Fade Bower', etc. Itll look like Collingwood arent much of a threat for the premiership then are they.;)

You don't seriously think Toovey is a tall do you? You may as well say Pendlebury is a tall too just because he is 190cm. Toovey plays on small forwards most of the time, is very quick and is perfectly capable of providing run.

Goldsack is also not really a tall and has been playing wing this year, can also run and carry if required.

So that makes our 7 heavy guys against your 8...

You realise that Laidler is not even 190cm, right?

Notice that you point out our weakest options and talk up your strengths. You didn't even mention Jammo, who will arguably the best KPD on the park; Hendo who will finally be relieved of carrying the defense and the run and delivery of Yazz and Tuohy. BTW Thornton plays forward and floats back.

Up fwd Waite has X-factor something which will be new to Reid, should be a good match up. If you get use to bomb it in long like previous games you'll be well placed and this is where I'll be watching close. It will come down to who is more switched on all over the field starting but not only in the midfield. ..

In the mix

CARLTON
Michael Jamison and Nick Duigan were close to selection last week according to Brett Ratten, but the pair was given an extra week to prove they are over their respective back and knee injuries.
The Blues escaped their big win over the Brisbane Lions unscathed, but that pair will come right into calculations along with Brock McLean, who has been prolific at VFL level early in the season.
Ratten said that Andrew Walker would be in the mix to play against Collingwood, but the forward is more likely to rest his quad injury for another week.
-Jason Phelan
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/132684/default.aspx

Its odd how candid Ratts is with selections, yet the injury list isn't. ..

McKay and Ratten pretty much tell things as they are which is terrific, so what is the problem with listing things accordingly.
Some may say it doesn't matter but it can only come down to ignorance or incompetance.
Either way it is not a great look.

For some reason I'm thinking Gibbs and Yarran are going to have massive games on Friday night. Obviously i'm projecting, but i've watched them over the last couple of weeks and get a sense that they'll both find a new level for this game. I very much hope i'm right.

How far off is Warnock From getting in the side? Also I think Carlton by 25 in this game.

Warnock had his first hit-out last Thursday.
Match conditioning, form and need will now dictate as to how long it will be before we see a senior recall.

Apparently Gibbs has suggested that Walker is well in the mix for Friday night and that Jamison and Duigan are good to go.

Garlett hasn't really fired a shot against us.... yet.

Umm you do realise the last 2 times we've played garlett has had 6 and 5 scoring shots respectively, first game was 3-3 which is a great return for a small forward against a top 2 side, and 2nd game was 1-4, it was only his inaccuracy in the 2nd encounter that meant he didnt have as big an influence as he could have.

*EDIT*
interesting looking at these stats, the only time garlett has ever had more than 2 behinds in a game was the 2 games he played vs collingwood in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back