Road to the Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright Fly, time to tell the boys to pretend they are the Fitzroy team from round 17, 1979 who also played against Melbourne

Records are meant to be broken View attachment 2084156
If fitzroy had kept that up, they may still exist to this day haha

Things I won’t miss:

The endless videos, docos, inner sanction specials, and feature film of our ‘23 GF success. We kind of wallowed in it a bit. An off-season where we don’t see that much of anyone would be refreshing.
No regrets for mine. I'm glad we celebrated hard.

Days like today remind me why last year was so precious.

I always feel a sense of grief when a season ends but especially so when we don't play finals. Even given the buffer of that mighty season last year, I feel that pain. Is it because as you get older you feel like you are running out of years and chances? I take nothing for granted.

I always feel a sense of grief when a season ends but especially so when we don't play finals. Even given the buffer of that mighty season last year, I feel that pain. Is it because as you get older you feel like you are running out of years and chances? I take nothing for granted.

i think it's more that we're one year closer to a complete overhaul rebuild renovation that will probably last until both of us die...

well it was 13 years since the last one and then 20 before that. You could be optimistic and think we'll be back within a decade...but i've got a feeling that the place is going to explode and we'll have another 32 year drought...
Let's hope Fly has some magic up his sleeve. We might need it.

Just found out today’s results and coming to grips with the consequences. Pretty cranky right now tbh. Tough year but I’m struggling with the fact we gave up so many leads in the last quarter as it just takes me back to 1970 as a 10 year old. Can I get a prescription for some cannabis gummies to help with this PTSD syndrome?🥴

When the family moved from Melbourne to Sydney in 1974 all anyone and everyone in Sydney knew about AFL and my beloved team was the term Colliwobbles. 50 years later……….
I’ll deal with it and be barracking as hard as ever next week and next year but struggling at the moment.
Thankfully I can share my grief with a bunch of likeminded Pies people here❤️.
Bring on 2025

Just found out today’s results and coming to grips with the consequences. Pretty cranky right now tbh. Tough year but I’m struggling with the fact we gave up so many leads in the last quarter as it just takes me back to 1970 as a 10 year old. Can I get a prescription for some cannabis gummies to help with this PTSD syndrome?🥴

When the family moved from Melbourne to Sydney in 1974 all anyone and everyone in Sydney knew about AFL and my beloved team was the term Colliwobbles. 50 years later……….
I’ll deal with it and be barracking as hard as ever next week and next year but struggling at the moment.
Thankfully I can share my grief with a bunch of likeminded Pies people here❤️.
Bring on 2025

as much as i loved lou....

I’m ok with the fact our season is over.
Don’t get me wrong I’d love for us to have a glimmer of hope next week.
However, the reality is we were done after the Sydney game.
We reinforced our GF win beating them twice.
We’re two more wins ahead of the paperbaggers so that’s a positive.
Just on them, it’s cute they think they knocked us out.
Helps them cope with the fact WE DID knock them out!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if we'd somehow snuck a win out of our two drawn games, giving us an extra two points each (making the equivalent of 13 wins), and then beat Melbourne on Friday, that would have had us on 56 points. If the Bulldogs, Hawthorn and Carlton all win on the weekend coming, then our vastly inferior percentage to them may well have still seen us miss finals; which is insane to think that 14 wins would not be enough to qualify (especially since top was only 3 wins more than that).

All the times a team has won 13 or more games, but hasn't qualified for finals.

Essendon (1963) = 13 wins, 5 losses (finished 5th) - Final 4 system
Hawthorn (1964) = 13 wins, 5 losses (finished 5th) - Final 4 system
Richmond (1966) = 13 wins, 1 draw, 4 losses (finished 5th) - Final 4 system
Richmond (1968) = 14 wins, 6 losses (finished 5th) - Final 4 system
Hawthorn (1969) = 13 wins, 7 losses (finished 5th) - Final 4 system
Carlton (1971) = 14 wins, 8 losses (finished 5th) - Final 4 system
Hawthorn (1972) = 13 wins, 9 losses (finished 6th) - Final 5 system
Carlton (1977) = 13 wins, 9 losses (finished 6th) - Final 5 system
South Melbourne (1980) = 13 wins, 9 losses (finished 6th) - Final 5 system
Hawthorn (1981) = 13 wins, 9 losses (finished 6th) - Final 5 system
Richmond (1981) = 13 wins, 9 losses (finished 7th) - Final 5 system
Carlton (1992) = 14 wins, 8 losses (finished 7th) - Final 6 system
Essendon (2013)** = 14 wins, 8 losses (finished 9th) - Final 8 system - KICKED OUT OF THE FINALS

Apart from Essendon due to extenuating circumstances, it's never happened in the final 8 era.

23 game season changes things

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

May be one of the few in this camp which is okay, but feel like the 8v9 or 7v10 + 8v9 wildcare (yes I'm aware it's just a revenue raising scheme) isn't too bad of an idea once we reach 20 teams?

Wouldn't even consider implementing it before Tassie + Canberra(?) are in the league, but seems reasonable when you consider pre-GC/GWS we were running a Top 8 finals with 16 sides, so don't see why a soft-expanding of the finals into essentially 1 or 2 elimination finals during the pre-finals bye week would be all that bad.

Even if we'd somehow snuck a win out of our two drawn games, giving us an extra two points each (making the equivalent of 13 wins), and then beat Melbourne on Friday, that would have had us on 56 points. If the Bulldogs, Hawthorn and Carlton all win on the weekend coming, then our vastly inferior percentage to them may well have still seen us miss finals; which is insane to think that 14 wins would not be enough to qualify (especially since top was only 3 wins more than that).
Exactly right, just one of those statistically silly seasons that given all thats happened - I'm not terribly fussed on just being yipped from finals in the end.

Lock and load for a 2025 season that hopefully regresses back to the mean 😎

Well, we can take comfort in the fact that if it wasn’t for our two wins over Carlton, they’d be essentially locked into top 4 and their supporters would be babbling incoherently about how it is now their turn to win a Premiership.

I'm really torn about this and what to wish for with the Blues:

I would have liked to watch them lose two finals.

I'd like to see them lose 1 final this year.

I'd like to see them get rolled by the Saints and miss finals.

May be one of the few in this camp which is okay, but feel like the 8v9 or 7v10 + 8v9 wildcare (yes I'm aware it's just a revenue raising scheme) isn't too bad of an idea once we reach 20 teams?

Wouldn't even consider implementing it before Tassie + Canberra(?) are in the league, but seems reasonable when you consider pre-GC/GWS we were running a Top 8 finals with 16 sides, so don't see why a soft-expanding of the finals into essentially 1 or 2 elimination finals during the pre-finals bye week would be all that bad.
Nah. The way I see it, it virtually removes 7 and 8 from having a chance, as they won't get a pre-final's bye and will have to get through one more week of finals. Might as well make it a top 6 if you're going with the wildcard model.

Nah. The way I see it, it virtually removes 7 and 8 from having a chance, as they won't get a pre-final's bye and will have to get through one more week of finals. Might as well make it a top 6 if you're going with the wildcard model.
Yeah I do see that, but also with all due respect to those 7th/8th sides most years they are simply making up the numbers. And if they actually are good enough to take it up to the Top 4 later on then the extra game may give them the momentum break they needed (or season-ending injury to gun player :) oh well)

But yeah its hard to balance all that with the reality of the talent pool dilution coming from 2 extra sides, an existing Top 8 if kept unchanged will arguably be of lower quality than a Top 8 from pre-2011.

A smorgasbord of evil outcomes for Carlton. I like it👍

There is an argument that not having the bye could be an advantage if you get through with no injuries.

I’ll go the last option please.

It’ll make their supporters the least worst bearable next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Road to the Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back