Robbie Gray Round 12 Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

As reported in Adelaide last night.

Gray rises for award
Article from: The Advertiser

June 26, 2007 02:15am

PORT ADELAIDE forward Robbie Gray will be the AFL's Round 12 nomination for the NAB Rising Star Award.

This will be confirmed today. Gray, 19, was the No. 55 pick in last year's national draft arriving at Alberton from Victoria.

Good on him! :)

I would have felt a bit uneasy if Martin Clark had picked up the nom this week, I felt either Gray or Westhoff were deserving. :thumbsu:

Scored 108 for my Supercoach team last week.:thumbsu:

Impressive start to his AFL career, looks poised and knows where the sticks are. Deserved nomination.

Nah I just went blank. Problem with the split round is you can't remember the previous weeks games are part of this weeks.

I watched that game, good kid, moves a lot like Wanganeen. Westoff was unlucky.

184cm, 85kg small forward who should get a midfield role as he gets his fitness levels up. Has strong hands in a marking contest, and quick hands at ground level, nicely balanced player. Bit of X factor about him.

The Advertiser did a bit of background on him (and Westhoff) after the Essendon game.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21935523-21545,00.html

Hidden in plain sight
ZAC MILBANK
June 20, 2007 02:15am

IT is the question on almost every Power fan's lips.

Why was dynamic forward pair Robbie Gray and Justin Westhoff snapped up so late in last year's national draft?

Well, the man who studied the duo intimately - Port's former head of recruiting Mick Moylan - has revealed the reasons why they were overlooked by 15 AFL clubs, particularly in the case of the Gary Ablett Jr-like Gray.

"The thing that impressed from our point of view was he wasn't at school last year and he spent a year working in a labouring role," Moylan said of Gray, who was taken at No. 55.

"I think he was doing something like packing boxes of meat on a concrete floor and doing early starts at 5.30am.

"It's unusual in this day young guys are physically working like that. It showed he had discipline. It wasn't the most mentally stimulating job but he was prepared to do it and he stuck at it.

"You thought if he's in an AFL system where there's nine-to-five training and not having to work a heavy labouring job and then come to training and perform, there had to be a fair bit of upside to the guy."

Moylan said Gray's struggle with soft tissue injuries - particularly his calf - may have also put doubt into the minds of his recruiting counterparts.

"In some respects he's not a fashionable player in the way he looks," Moylan, now a recruiting officer with West Coast, added.

"Physically he doesn't present as the real athletic looking type (184cm and 85kg).

"The other thing with Rob was he played with a significant calf injury for most of the last six weeks of the season.

"So his form in the (TAC Cup) finals for Oakleigh was solid but wasn't outstanding."

etc ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is very hard for a defensive young backman to obtain a rising star nomination. Will Thursfield has played the last 5 games for bottom club Richmond, playing on guys like Lloyd{2 goals} and Robertson{1 goal}- which was a free kick and holding his own against them.

Scarlett has 34 spoils in 12 games
Thursfield has 23 spoils in 5 games according to the age sport.

Robbie Gray is a good young player but has only played 2 games, got to be a midfielder or kick goals to attract attention.

Maybe, but I think they've taken into account Gray's outstanding first 3 games.
Apart from the first couple of games of the year, they usually do wait for a couple of good games (preferably in a row) before giving the nomination.
On that basis if Westhoff kicks has another game like his first 3 he is in the running for the next nomination.

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbie Gray Round 12 Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

Back