Toast Robbie Warnock clearly our no 1 ruckman

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Warnock played really well tonight considering he had to battle arguably the best ruck duo going around. He wasn't brilliant, but was very solid.

On the contrary (sort of), I thought he was magnificent.

Didn't have a massive impact, but to ruck for about 90% of the game against Cox and Nic-Nat, and to do so successfully, is an incredible effort.

Well done, Knockers. His last two games have been magical.

Are you guys serious? He got absolutely smashed. Apart from our non-existent tall forwards, the main reason we lost was because we got killed in the ruck.

That being said, he did do a good job. But against the dominant ruck partnership in the league, he just didn't have enough strength. Would love to see him bulk up a little over the off season.

He's really improved over the last month or so, but there is still a long way to go for him.

Are you guys serious? He got absolutely smashed. Apart from our non-existent tall forwards, the main reason we lost was because we got killed in the ruck.

You can't be serious, you may be upset about the loss but sober up and think about how well he actually played. If it was another ruck, the score would have been quite different.

Was soundly beaten by Cox/NicNat tonight, but have to cut him some slack for playing basically a lone hand in there. Cringeworthy watching him go for a contested mark though, refuses to throw his weight around...

Warnock beat Naitanui but got smashed by Dean Cox. Warnock destroys athletic ruckman but the body on body ruckman like Cox who can outposition him are still a big problem. He may be 24 but he still needs another year in the gym for mine. When he came into the AFL system he was the skinniest player ever pretty much and he still doesnt have the body to match it with the cream of the crop like Cox in the hitout situations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My number one ruck after his efforts in the finals. Huge heart to fight it out as the lone ruck against Hille and Ryder and Naitanui and Cox. Hard task with the ineffective O'hAilpin pinch hitting.

Will fill out a bit if he an uninterrupted pre-season.

Hampson and Kreuzer are freaks to turn into the Hulk overnight.

We could not of asked for more from Robbie during the finals. He tried his guts out and can hold his head high.

He needs to spend the summer with me drinking beers and eating pizzas, along with a little bit of gym work. How good would be be with a Sandilands (Aaron not Kyle) sized build?

A couple more years and he will grow into his body. I dont think its unreasonable to expect him to be in the top 5 ruckmen in the league 2 or 3 years from now.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Warnock's form will be one of the most damaging things to happen to our club in a while. I know, it's a bizarre sounding thing to say, but hear me out.

Yes, he's been good ... in the ruck (apart from the fact that he still too often hands the ball to the opposition on a platter - straight to Priddis a couple of times last night). And yes, he is the obvious choice as number one ruck in our team, because that's all he can do.

Now, here's where the problem lies. If you decide that Warnock is number one ruck, you are consigning Kreuzer to the back-up ruck/forward role. This then hurts the team because Kreuzer almost plays like the inside mid that we lack. Kreuzer's work around the ground is better than Warnock's and his second/third efforts are a lot better. But ... because Warnock is the taller and better tap ruckman, he will get the nod for the role that we really need Kreuzer to play. I think if the club keeps using Kreuzer mainly as a forward, he will fade over time into just a good player; on the ball he was headed for stardom.

Hampson is the only one of the three who's shown any real potential up forward. I know he hasn't been stellar, but I can see him over time becoming more effective than Leigh Brown was as a forward and he is already miles ahead of him as a Ruckman.

So, while I know I'm gonna be hit with shouts of "sacrilege" for appearing to criticise a player who's really stood up in the last 2 weeks, I honestly think that his presence makes our team more dysfunctional and it's gonna cost us in the long term. For mine, Kreuzer as the number one ruck and Hampson as the ruck/forward is the best combination for us. But we won't see it now unless Warnock is injured and we somehow manage to convince Hammer to stay.

Agree Oldblue, it provides a quandary. But looking at it from a glass half full viewpoint, it is still a great problem to have.

There are at least 12+ teams that would like to have our problem.

With Kruezer, two things...1) a champion finds a way. 2) With a full preseason i'd back him over Hampson any day of the week. It's his attitude that is the difference.:thumbsu:

Congrats to Warnock for a great end to the season. :thumbsu:

He is our number 1 ruck of 2011...no doubt. 2012 may change that.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Warnock's form will be one of the most damaging things to happen to our club in a while. I know, it's a bizarre sounding thing to say, but hear me out.

Yes, he's been good ... in the ruck (apart from the fact that he still too often hands the ball to the opposition on a platter - straight to Priddis a couple of times last night). And yes, he is the obvious choice as number one ruck in our team, because that's all he can do.

Now, here's where the problem lies. If you decide that Warnock is number one ruck, you are consigning Kreuzer to the back-up ruck/forward role. This then hurts the team because Kreuzer almost plays like the inside mid that we lack. Kreuzer's work around the ground is better than Warnock's and his second/third efforts are a lot better. But ... because Warnock is the taller and better tap ruckman, he will get the nod for the role that we really need Kreuzer to play. I think if the club keeps using Kreuzer mainly as a forward, he will fade over time into just a good player; on the ball he was headed for stardom.

Hampson is the only one of the three who's shown any real potential up forward. I know he hasn't been stellar, but I can see him over time becoming more effective than Leigh Brown was as a forward and he is already miles ahead of him as a Ruckman.

So, while I know I'm gonna be hit with shouts of "sacrilege" for appearing to criticise a player who's really stood up in the last 2 weeks, I honestly think that his presence makes our team more dysfunctional and it's gonna cost us in the long term. For mine, Kreuzer as the number one ruck and Hampson as the ruck/forward is the best combination for us. But we won't see it now unless Warnock is injured and we somehow manage to convince Hammer to stay.
good post, food for thought.

I wasn't aware that there was a rule that we couldnt play both of them in the centre? Kruezer would make an awesome ruck rover. Let the opposition find a matchup for him whilst also covering Warnock.

I wasn't aware that there was a rule that we couldnt play both of them in the centre? Kruezer would make an awesome ruck rover. Let the opposition find a matchup for him whilst also covering Warnock.

Not saying there is, but I would speculate that Warnock + Kreuzer on the ball is worth about 70% of what Kreuzer plus another quality mid would bring. IMHO, your scenario hurts the team with another attempt to squeeze square pegs into round holes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Robbie Warnock clearly our no 1 ruckman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back