Robert Harvey: Most overrated player ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Harvey is very selfish for playing on and depriving a youngster of some development. If he had the best interests of the club at heart he would have retired a couple of years ago.

Instead of being fondly remembered he will be remembered as a washed up old hack who didn't know when it was time to go.

Your opinion you are entitled to!:)

This is mine.... there is no way St Kilda would have rallied from rabble in the late part of the season to make a surprise top 4... if it had not been the collective respect for a club super champion and the realisation that this is his last chance!

In many critical games last two years Harvey was BOG by a mile!

He may have played 1 yr too many but... when you are that good and alternative is to watch the X&P Clarke punce & pretend then it was....a "no brainer" (ie easy decision) for player, colleagues and club!!!!!

Sadly they won't make it in 08... but watch them plummet next year:p

Robert Harvey has played 379 games for 215 goals. That's 0.56 goals a game.

Lonergan has played 18 games for 32 goals (1.7 goals a game), Stokes has played 46 games for 70 goals (1.5 goals a game), Mackie averages about 0.8 goals a game.

What is the objective of AFL? Scoring goals. These players are currently far better, on average than Harvey. Harvey is a decent player, but on the whole a mediocre contributor.
Oh my.... i think you are ******. I feel sorry for you

Sportman1987, you have managed to suck a lot of people in, but I am actually genuine when I say that you did not appreciate 2007. It was a long drought for you guys but it seems you have lost touch with what matters most. What do you do with your spare time besides smoking pole?

Harvey is very selfish for playing on and depriving a youngster of some development. If he had the best interests of the club at heart he would have retired a couple of years ago.

Instead of being fondly remembered he will be remembered as a washed up old hack who didn't know when it was time to go.

Unlisted, I recommend you grow a dick.

I think the OP question is a fair one. Robert Harvey really is overrated. Slow... can't kick more than 30 metres... not that good a mark. Compare him to some of the greats who have played... and Harvey is average at best. It's because he has been at St Kilda for so long that he has looked good in a very bad side. At the moment the way Harvey is playing its actually a disgrace that he is on a football field... there are kids that would be twice as valuable to the team as what he is producing at the moment. He is only in there on sentiment..... Scarlett is right... the old man went on 3 years too long

Robert Harvey is one of the most overrated players in AFL history. While many will have you believe he is up there with Buckley, Voss, Hird and Carey as legends of the the last 15 years, what games has Robert Harvey ever won off his own boot? While he is a class act off the field, his on-field performances have always been mediocre at best. He is as slow as a Holden Barina in reverse, cant kick for goal and can barely even bend down to get the footy when its on the ground. If it wasnt for Shane Woewodin and Adam Goodes he would be one of the least deserving brownlow medallists ever. While the St Kilda like to think he's one of the greats of the game, the truth is he is just another average St Kilda club player like Stewart Loewe and Nathan Bourke and will be forgotten before the first bounce in 2009.
You really know sfa about football don't you. :rolleyes::thumbsdown:

I think the OP question is a fair one. Robert Harvey really is overrated. Slow... can't kick more than 30 metres... not that good a mark. Compare him to some of the greats who have played... and Harvey is average at best. It's because he has been at St Kilda for so long that he has looked good in a very bad side. At the moment the way Harvey is playing its actually a disgrace that he is on a football field... there are kids that would be twice as valuable to the team as what he is producing at the moment. He is only in there on sentiment..... Scarlett is right... the old man went on 3 years too long
overated ???? where are your 2 brownlow medals...am i missing something....do they hand out free brownlow medals with every 50 bag purchace down at your club???

Harvey has always bee underrated, and never mentioned along side the greats, now hes finally getting some credit. He is 38, and plays about 50-60% game time and still gets more posessions than the champion and legend of the game Dale "overrated" Thomas. No chance is Harvey Overrated, go back to your filthy cheating club that is again trying to buy itself another premiership.

Harvey was an absolute gun...Have watched the game closely over a number of years and have no problem rating him up with the best. Probably has done himself no favours by playing on in the minds of the historians, but he was a superstar over many years...My best from the last 20 years in order :

Gary Ablett Snr
Greg Williams
Wayne Carey
Robert Harvey
Nathan Buckley

I would love to see your top 5 list Sportman1987 to see where you slot in Mooney and Brownless...You would be the funniest guy on Big Footy by a mile...Keep your posts coming...I couldn't stop laughing at them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thread-fail-stamp.gif

Must say, his longevity is sensational, but he doesn't hurt other teams with the quality of his possessions as others do, with a large number being Guerra-style chip kicks. Class act though and very, very good player.
agreed that he doesnt hurt other teams now days as much as he used to in his heyday, but the fact of the matter is that if he wasnt up to it, he wouldnt be getting a game at the saints these days, ppl say he is wasting space but the club is bigger than that, if he was wasting space he would have been asked to retire when all are claiming he should of..

agreed that he doesnt hurt other teams now days as much as he used to in his heyday, but the fact of the matter is that if he wasnt up to it, he wouldnt be getting a game at the saints these days, ppl say he is wasting space but the club is bigger than that, if he was wasting space he would have been asked to retire when all are claiming he should of..

Ok then. I fully expect then that Robert Harvey will be dropped this week after his deplorable display on the weekend? unless..... the club is just giving him undeserved games?

Ok then. I fully expect then that Robert Harvey will be dropped this week after his deplorable display on the weekend? unless..... the club is just giving him undeserved games?
dont hold your breath, he was in the best last week, admittedly it wasnt his best game, but a good chance for the sainter haters to jump on the clubs back for another reason....

Harvey has probably gone on a yr too long, but in his heydey in the mid '90s, he was as good as anyone going around, and was a worthy Brownlow Medallist.

How can anyone say he is overrated is beyond me, I think he has probably been underrated as a player, because for the majority of his career, he has played in ordinary teams.

dude, show braun some respect

You are a clueless. You're telling me that each club should drop anyone who had a below par game?

How the f would your mob have fielded a team after the Geelong raping you copped at Subi this year? Please do tell me? did you "fully expect" that all 22 of your pathetic hacks get dropped?

you are a clueless. You're telling me that each club should drop anyone who had a below par game?

How the f would your mob have fielded a team after the geelong raping you copped at subi this year? Please do tell me? Did you "fully expect" that all 22 of your pathetic hacks get dropped?

owned

I fully expect you to take out the Flog of the Year award.

Remove this Banner Ad

Robert Harvey: Most overrated player ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back