Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
Erin Riley's air mattress
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I hear this one trotted out a lot. Supposed to be very good tactically and very good on matchday.

However, I don't hear a lot of explanation as to why this is the case. Are there examples of where he pulled off an absolute genius move to win a game? What innovations has he come up with? Etc etc.

Seems to be an assertion that goes unchallenged. While I'm not doubting it's true, I'd like to have some facts before I join the herd.

Thanks.

Seems to be an assertion that goes unchallenged. While I'm not doubting it's true, I'd like to have some facts before I join the herd.

Thanks.
Like most coaches he has his good and bad days. Some of his positional changes when we were 30 points down were a major factor in getting us over the line against Sydney last week. Also got a lote of the match ups and strategies down pat in the first half against St Kilda. Picken on Goddard was a ripper, as was Cross on Dal (who was unsighted until he got injured). Williams on Roo was ballsy and freed up Morris to downsize and keep Milne in check. Hayes on Boyd head-to-head was a big fail, so he was forced to move Picken onto him after half-time, which of course freed up Goddard in the 3rd.

All of Lyon, Roos, Eade and Malthouse are excellent match-day strategists, and I'd also include Laidley into this list. Thompson's no slouch either - his move of Bartel on Hayes won his team a GF in 2009. If I had to pick the best manipulator on match-days, I'd probably go with Ross Lyon. He imposes his preferred game style on opponents nearly every week and has his charges extremely well-drilled in executing the game plan.

I hear this one trotted out a lot. Supposed to be very good tactically and very good on matchday.

I'd like to have some facts before I join the herd.

Never heard that in my life. Before I believe that you hear it a lot, post some links where anyone says this.

Go join your imaginary herd.

Do you want to put out some examples where anyone's claimed Eade is a good match day coach? Because for years all I ever recall Bulldogs supporters saying is that he's a good tactician who never has a plan B - i.e. the opposite.

He gets some of the credit for introducing the flood and his sides are normally thereabouts. Perhaps he is like Laidley, in that he also gets his sides up there, but lacks the developmental skills to win premierships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches that are better match day coaches than Eade:

Malthouse,Thompson,Lyon,Roos,Williams.

Not better or worse than:

Craig,Clarkson,Worsfold,Harvey

In other words, he is over-rated and will not be coaching the Dogs beyond the life of his current contract.If Malthouse wants to continue senior coaching
after the Buckley handover he is more than welcome back to the club that gave him his chance back in 83.
Otherwise the job is Leon Cameron's.

It may have been true a while ago - he invented the flood and all that, but Id say that everyone has caught up or overtaken him now, tactically.

Hopefully he shows adaptability.

Rocket should get some cred for taking a bottom 4 team into consistent prelims - its hard to overestimate how shit things were at the dogs under Rhode. Nice guy etc..., but absolutely shocking coach.

Its OK to gush over the Hardwicks and Scotts when they take their respective rabbles up from bottom 4, but actually getting into the top 4 is waaay more difficult than that.

It has been said many times by various commentators. They said the same thing about Laidley but us Roos supporters have no idea when he made any match day moves of note, unless it was a bad note :)

Eade is a good match day coach, but the current AFL system is more geared towards best pre-season strategy developer as tactics and game trend seem to have a greater influence.

It's so hard to define what exactly is match day coaching, and preplanned moves though isn't it.

I agree that he made some good changes against Sydney, they certainly played a part in the win.

However I'd also argue that Murphy should of moved forward weeks earlier, when it was identified that the side was reliant on Barry and lacked another target.

Remove this Banner Ad

"Rodney Eade is the best match-day coach"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back