Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doc’s parochialism would’ve hilarious if he wasn’t dead set convinced he’s objective. Burns is a bit stiff but Bancroft’s recent form far better.
I'll get joy reminding you when this is all over. Remember for all the vitriol LP, Brades and myself have been correct on Marsh and Starc. One is shit and the other is a minnow basher.

I'm not in favour of any set of players in particular or any state, just anti-WA atm, as all you produce is rubbish.
A state littered with failures who inexplicably make the national side. Just do not get it.

It's funny that Bancroft is again flavour of the month, he has 14 innings and passed 50 only 3 times. 7 starts between 10-49 and an average of 30.92. Failed against England, who are our next opponents. Has batted well in England, albeit Div 2.
Harris, who likely will be the one to make way, has 11 innings and passed 50 twice. 8 starts between 10-49 and an average of 32.7. Has batted well post test series, albeit in Australia for the most part.

Hardly an inspiring change at opener, since it'd be considered a sideways move by most I'd have thought.
Hardly some grand evidence of being parochial. Just nonplussed about another average player getting selected, and Harris who has been just as meh, he isn't a cheat.

You keep saying it but that doesn't make it true. If I were I'd be screaming from the rafters for Siddle to be in the team. Ditto Handscomb.
I'd be bitching about how CA has handles Maxwell's red ball career, and be gloating that Wade may be back in, instead I was worried at Warne's middle order, which he was in. Would be screaming blue murder as to why Pucovski isn't in, despite not being ready. Shit! 9 months ago I was wanting Patterson in the side.

My favourite Aus bowler (goat aside) is Hazlewood, a NSW player.

I'll get joy reminding you when this is all over. Remember for all the vitriol LP, Brades and myself have been correct on Marsh and Starc. One is s**t and the other is a minnow basher.

I'm not in favour of any set of players in particular or any state, just anti-WA atm, as all you produce is rubbish.
A state littered with failures who inexplicably make the national side. Just do not get it.

It's funny that Bancroft is again flavour of the month, he has 14 innings and passed 50 only 3 times. 7 starts between 10-49 and an average of 30.92. Failed against England, who are our next opponents. Has batted well in England, albeit Div 2.
Harris, who likely will be the one to make way, has 11 innings and passed 50 twice. 8 starts between 10-49 and an average of 32.7. Has batted well post test series, albeit in Australia for the most part.

Hardly an inspiring change at opener, since it'd be considered a sideways move by most I'd have thought.
Hardly some grand evidence of being parochial. Just nonplussed about another average player getting selected, and Harris who has been just as meh, he isn't a cheat.

You keep saying it but that doesn't make it true. If I were I'd be screaming from the rafters for Siddle to be in the team. Ditto Handscomb.
I'd be bitching about how CA has handles Maxwell's red ball career, and be gloating that Wade may be back in, instead I was worried at Warne's middle order, which he was in. Would be screaming blue murder as to why Pucovski isn't in, despite not being ready. s**t! 9 months ago I was wanting Patterson in the side.

My favourite Aus bowler (goat aside) is Hazlewood, a NSW player.
I’m not biased but all WA players are shit :rolleyes: I suppose if you ignore Lillee, Marsh, Alderman, Martyn, Langer etc, that might only be half ridiculous.

I’m not advocating for Marsh, he hasn’t earned his spot back. But Bancroft has earnt his and it’s silly to suggest otherwise. He’s also less prone to rash shots like Harris.

I’m not biased but all WA players are s**t :rolleyes: I suppose if you ignore Lillee, Marsh, Alderman, Martyn, Langer etc, that might only be half ridiculous.

I’m not advocating for Marsh, he hasn’t earned his spot back. But Bancroft has earnt his and it’s silly to suggest otherwise. He’s also less prone to rash shots like Harris.
Don't be obtuse. Current players.
Lillee is arguably our greatest ever.

I don't think 'earning' is cut and dry. He's been no better than the incumbent.

He’s averaging close to 50 in the conditions we will play in and scored an unbeaten 93 compared to Harris’s twin failures. He’s earnt his squad spot, we’ll see if he makes the actual team yet.

I'm mean its all been said but clearly Bancroft had to be in the squad.

Burns is the only one thats been hard done by and I would have picked him ahead of Marsh but thats really just including him for the sake of including him. He would be behind Bancroft, Harris, Warner, Khawaja for top 3 spots and behind Lasagna, Head, Wade and Smith for middle order roles.

Marsh was included to give the option of having a stronger 5th bowler if they want. He will be more than useful as a bowler in English conditions if they went that route.

Anyone thinking Patterson and Carey should be in the squad have absolutely no idea and probably just found out the Ashes is on soon after forgetting about cricket since summer.

Selectors appear to have taken the stance that runs against a domestic level team being Sri Lanka while playing on a highway dont count for much, which is probably a fair stance to take

He’s averaging close to 50 in the conditions we will play in and scored an unbeaten 93 compared to Harris’s twin failures. He’s earnt his squad spot, we’ll see if he makes the actual team yet.
He will, and I am not sold he'll do well.
As long as Starc isn't left in at the expense of Pattinson I'll be happy.

Are you going to have a go at directly trying to explain how your comment about 'JLs Boys' makes any sense when they also played under Lehmann,or are you going to let it slide so you can freely feel you can continue with the hysterical ramblings?

Centuries that Burns made were on grounds were the pitch was flat (All you have to see is the scorecards) whereas Bancroft was probably our best bat against SA in South Africa when all batsman failed.
From what I've seen Burns is more suspect with the moving ball, and that tour game Bancroft gritted it out against great bowling opposition.
I feel they'll go with Starc regardless as they'll want a left arm bowler.

Yet Bancroft failed against England when the pitches were so flat, Mitch Marsh made centuries!!!

If they want to play Pattinson in the XI then MMarsh has to be in the XI. Otherwise Pattinson will be overbowled and will break down again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve picked a squad with eight batsmen, six quicks, one keeper, one spinner and the most useless test all rounder you’ll ever see.

To me it’s a squad that covers the spots where the selectors have NFI who they’ll pick next week but fails to cover anything else.

To me picking Wade as a back up keeper screams of a selection panel that doesn’t know who they’ll pick at six next week. He’s not a first class standard keeper let alone a test one and eight batsman (without bloody Mitch Marsh) is enough options for the top six - or at least it should be.

We’ve also got twice as many quicks as we’ll pick at one time. This is because the selectors have failed to make the bold call and leave out players who are stars in Australia but are proven failures in England. Watch them pick the proven failures and us being 2-0 down before anything changes. I’d rather Holland be there if we need him - if the selectors could make a bold call and pick between our quicks he should be.

Mitch Marsh is a curse on Australian cricket. Seems to kill any team he is part of and seems to come back just as you thought you’d got rid of him. He’s been gifted opportunities since he was 17/18 and it shows - and is the best example exactly what’s wrong with Aussie cricket.

Worrying signs. Doubt we’ll win a game tbh - which is a shame because England are as bad as they’ve been in years.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they want to play Pattinson in the XI then MMarsh has to be in the XI. Otherwise Pattinson will be overbowled and will break down again.
He has been bowling for months without breaking down, surely he can make it through a five day game.

If picking Pattison requires picking Marsh, count me out.

He has been bowling for months without breaking down, surely he can make it through a five day game.

If picking Pattison requires picking Marsh, count me out.

Wasn’t everyone saying the same thing about Pat Cummins two years ago?

We’re almost guaranteed to be 4 for less than 100 a few times this series. The man I want coming out in that situation is not Mitch Marsh.

England just announced their squad and they've picked Moeen over Leach. If we pick both Cummins and Pattinson in the first Test I think we will win it.

If it was at Lord's I might agree. Not at Edgbaston though.
Edgbaston is a graveyard for us.

I honestly dont think Harris is ready to play in England on green tops with a swinging ball, I would have picked Burns over him.

Can gaurenteed Harris will average under 25 for the series.

Don't know what you are trying to prove with that? In 13 innings since that 180 Burns made 253 runs at 21 including 5 ducks and only one score over 31. 5 ducks in 13 innings. In Bancroft's last 13 innings he has made 706 runs at 64 including 2 hundreds, 2 unbeaten 90's and two 70's.

Last edited:
I’m not biased but all WA players are s**t :rolleyes: I suppose if you ignore Lillee, Marsh, Alderman, Martyn, Langer etc, that might only be half ridiculous.

He’s like a deranged version of eddiesmith, without the humour or wit of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back