Rookie Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Rookie Draft Duscussion

Frost for mine. We need to find another KB to help Rance as I'm not convinced Post or Astbury will make it.

I have no doubt that Astbury will become a 200 game player.

This kid will become 1 of our best tall players , he is the ultimate proffesional and has all the tools to become a very very good CHF/CHB

I'd take Nelson with our first if available. Yes i know he's a 'midget' but he was regarded alongside Coniglio and O'Meara as their clubs best mids. Plus he won or featured highly in the kicking test. He's still young so he could still grow another few inches.

It's so strange that so many players that were reasonably well regarded wernt drafted, even at the low overall picks. I also believe Nelson had the best result in the kicking test during the combine (verify?).

Wish we could pick up all these roughies that slipped through with rookie spots, will probably only get 1-2 of them.

Whatever happened to Darrou? I liked the look of him, a very mobile (but raw) kpd, would be perfect for a rookie spot!

Frost for mine. We need to find another KB to help Rance as I'm not convinced Post or Astbury will make it.

im not sure rance is the answer at fb either.. taking just one rookie kp wont fix the problem.with such late nd picks, basically what rookie picks are. you could list 5 kpds and if your lucky find one good one. that is the nature of the rookie draft.
some where along the line we will have to target a quality fb early in the nd or trade for a ready made one.
as it stands astbury is a baby we just have to give these kids adequate time. to me post is a good prospect for chb. good agility very good in the air is mobile the only question is pace which is something that can be worked on.
of all the tall defenders we have in the air i would rate post the best of them.
alex rance in the air on the other hand well i wont go there.

for me tom lee with our first pick bolger with our second. someone like kyle horsley in the psd. yeah i know they are going to go with the collingwood reject.
david mirra and willie wheeler also for rookie spots.

if elton is a kpp id take bolger in the psd. i cant believe he wasnt at least taken late nd.
if we could land at least two of these players id be over the moon.
i still like a kid called max duffy we need x type forwards.

Nelson scored 98% in the kicking test at combine, next best was something like 87%.

Also scored a 2.87sec 20m sprint,

Can't believe he wasn't picked up.

a few may know I have had a massive man crush on Shane Nelson over the past couple of months. I just think he would be crazy to pass on by, so much potential. Let the kid develop, gain some size in the gym and you will have a elite afl footballer in Nelson.

Its good to see though that we are having some options to let players develop in the Burgers with quite abit of talent in a few areas.

Nelson though would be crazy to pass on and If we dont take out next opportunity on him mark my word we have missed out on a future A Grade AFL player

how many can we rookie or have left to rookie....
At the moment we have Miller and Heslin as rookies. Depending on what happens with elevating Newman to the Vets list we will have 5-6 picks available. Whether we use them all or not is another question. I wouldn't be surprised to see us do the same as last year and leave a spot open and invite a few kids down to train over summer.

Hoping for this:

PSD-mcartney
1. pick- one of nelson,Ohanlan,doboz,waldhuter,bolger.
2. pick- Wheeler
3. pick- Addam maric
4. pick- leif cope
5. pick- do what we did last year with having 3 players try out.

I think we are allowed 8 rookies with Miller & Heslin taking up 2 positions leaving us with 6 selections (if we wish)

1 of our biggest needs is a small foward & with the rookie list you should be taking a gamble as you can always delist without huge cost picks or dollars. If available we should take both Peterson & Maric ans see which makes the grade

PSD-mcartney
1. pick- Jack Crisp/Sam Frost
2. pick- Waldhunter/O'Hanlan/Dobosz
3. pick- Carl Peterson
4. pick- Addam maric
5. pick- leif cope
6. pick- do what we did last year with having 3 players try out. __________________

I WOULD BE WRAPPED IF THE RICHMOND FOOTBALL CLUB TOOK LEIF COPE .......................... KID HAS ALL THE TOOL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of your picks Gun id take Bolger first (touted as a first round ruck but has some injury concerns) or maybe a Shane Nelson is available still in the rookie draft. Then O'Hanlon i agree with. If we are looking at VAFA id go Garside (187cm lightning quick and skillful defender who can shut down a small forward.). Peterson's character is dodgy and was kicked out of hawthorn for smoking pot and leading Cyril astray. No thanks. Maric and Cope id be happy with as well.

2 rucks (Bolger/Cope) or 1 ruck and a mid (Cope/Nelson)
1 small forward (Maric)
1 small defender (Garside)
1 lead-up forward (O'Hanlon)
Then let some others train with us.

Peterson is 1 of these players that offer us low risk but massive reward and i know we woulnt take him because of our no D!ck head policy but i feel that perhaps now that he is 22-23 he might have mutured abit and ready to deliver. Didnt hear about the pot thing , i thought he went away and just didnt come back & hawthorn were looking for him and couldnt find him so just delisted him for that reason.

Always been a huge wrap for cope and he is extremely athletic would be the ideal developing ruckman 204cm 95kgs and unlike any ruckman we have had has an amazing leap on him also very good around the ground.

Maric is an interesting player, he has the tools to make it & havnt really heard any bad things about him that a realisation that his afl carreer could be finished if he doesnt perform wont fix like peterson with a rookie pick for 1-2 years huge upside low risk and already has 3-4 pre seasons under his belt.

O'Hanlan we both agree will be a good get

Crisp & Frost would be a dream if we could snatch Frost in a rookie pick would be sensational.

But something tells me that we will give Contin another chance and maybe even Jackobi aswell.

Hooper was in the same boat as Peterson. They ditched them both as Cyril was being led astray. I forgot about Contin/Jakobi.

I think Jakobi would be more in the other boat of training squad to see if his foot survives the pre-season.

Good to hear Cope has put on some size (95kg is solid now)

Frost is as bad a kick as Gourdis so I just don't see us picking him. Same goes for Boseley though his kicking is better than Frost/Gourdis.

Gibson Turner as a small forward is another along with Maric id give a go to.

It's all going to come down to planning with the order we choose.

PSD: McCarthy
RD1: Nelson/Bolger
RD2: O'Hanlon
RD3: Garside (training with Bombers is the extra bonus of stealing him :p)
RD4: Maric (think he will last a fair while in here.)
RD5: Cope/Contin (depending on whether we took Bolger or Nelson)

Training squad of Jakobi either Cope or Contin and one other.

Hooper was in the same boat as Peterson. They ditched them both as Cyril was being led astray. I forgot about Contin/Jakobi.

I think Jakobi would be more in the other boat of training squad to see if his foot survives the pre-season.

Good to hear Cope has put on some size (95kg is solid now)

Frost is as bad a kick as Gourdis so I just don't see us picking him. Same goes for Boseley though his kicking is better than Frost/Gourdis.

Gibson Turner as a small forward is another along with Maric id give a go to.

It's all going to come down to planning with the order we choose.

PSD: McCarthy
RD1: Nelson/Bolger
RD2: O'Hanlon
RD3: Garside (training with Bombers is the extra bonus of stealing him :p)
RD4: Maric (think he will last a fair while in here.)
RD5: Cope/Contin (depending on whether we took Bolger or Nelson)

Training squad of Jakobi either Cope or Contin and one other.

Just out of interest, you only have 5 spots to be filled

we have miller & heslin as rookies that are already pre selected atm that leaves 6 spots free ?
whilst garside does look good and certainly talented i just feel that with the introduction of Morris & ellis along with Dea,Batchelor,Heslin
believe that we should be looking at inside mids rather than defenders.

whats your thoughts on crisp , really like this kid and is a good size fast and works hard when he doesnt have it wing / hff would be his ideal possition in the tiger line up & would possibly replace Edwards if titch doesnt come on anymore.

Crisp i'd probably take one of him or O'Hanlon. I think O'Hanlon is better and i heard he isn't the best kick going around.
I'd see Garside as purely a stopper in defence with his elite speed. I still feel we don't have one and the rookie draft is ideal to find one.
I only have 5 because the 6th would be filled by the best from the training squad.

One other i forgot was Doug Morris from the Northern Knights.

DeepThroat mentioned we were keen on him for ND. :eek:

Really big inside midfielder at 185cm/87kg.

This season in 17 TAC games he averaged:

17.6 kicks at 58% efficiency
13.4 h/balls at 77% eff.
31 disposals at 66% eff.
8.1 marks
4.7 tackles
9.6 h/ball receives
and kicked 21.4 for the season. Low kicking efficiency would be from the fact he is a contested ball winner. His goal kicking goes to show he can be a very accurate kick of the footy.

Morris leading clearance, disposal getter, contested ball winner in the TAC cup. Named 14/17 games in the best. Knights B&F winner, 2nd in the Morrish Medal. Dedicated to his footy, very good work ethic. I struggle to believe he won't be picked up in the rookie draft. I've always thought he's had quite a good kicking action, can't see that as a problem at all. He's slow, though. Very slow.

One other i forgot was Doug Morris from the Northern Knights.

DeepThroat mentioned we were keen on him for ND. :eek:

Really big inside midfielder at 185cm/87kg.

This season in 17 TAC games he averaged:

17.6 kicks at 58% efficiency
13.4 h/balls at 77% eff.
31 disposals at 66% eff.
8.1 marks
4.7 tackles
9.6 h/ball receives
and kicked 21.4 for the season. Low kicking efficiency would be from the fact he is a contested ball winner. His goal kicking goes to show he can be a very accurate kick of the footy.

how the heck did this kid get overlooked, thought he'd go top 10 on those stats..lead the TAC comp in possies and clearances...he's a must have

Morris leading clearance, disposal getter, contested ball winner in the TAC cup. Named 14/17 games in the best. Knights B&F winner, 2nd in the Morrish Medal. Dedicated to his footy, very good work ethic. I struggle to believe he won't be picked up in the rookie draft. I've always thought he's had quite a good kicking action, can't see that as a problem at all. He's slow, though. Very slow.
His speed is the reason he missed ND. Other would be he is already so big. IMO he's worth a punt. Can probably get away with one slow inside midfielder. Just like we have Tuck currently. Just needs a big tank and he'd be fine.

On another note wasn't he Knights captain? SO leadership qualities as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookie Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back