Rookie Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Players to Look For In The Pre-Season and Rookie Draft

250px-Scarecrow-Bolger.jpg

Ray Bolger

just one or two questions. how clean is he and how quick. how agile. for a small at the top level these things are crucial.

He has nice hands in traffic and starting TAC cup footy as a defender he makes good choices aswell. I don't see pace being an issue from what I've seen on the field but I'm going to try and find out how he went in the state sceening.

He's 177cm so that's wheeler territory in terms of height.

His coach said in the in the inside football draft special he believes he can play anywhere on the ground inside or out, has great character and can kick the footy 50 to 60 off one step.

I reckon FJ just reads names out at random doesnt watch kids play just sits home and reads the paper. lol ;)

Charlston looks good, knowing FJ we wont get any of those names.

He has nice hands in traffic and starting TAC cup footy as a defender he makes good choices aswell. I don't see pace being an issue from what I've seen on the field but I'm going to try and find out how he went in the state sceening.

He's 177cm so that's wheeler territory in terms of height.

His coach said in the in the inside football draft special he believes he can play anywhere on the ground inside or out, has great character and can kick the footy 50 to 60 off one step.

So if choosing between him and wheeler you'd prefer....?

For some reason I keep thinking he's Kade Klemke.

So if choosing between him and wheeler you'd prefer....?

For some reason I keep thinking he's Kade Klemke.

Wheeler would be the safer option so it all depends on whether you want to play it safe or not.

Charlston is a bigger kick and faster than the Klem

Yeah I agree, he has a bit of x-factor about him that really makes you stand up and take notice.

I asked about his results from the state screening but apparently he didn't test. I assume it's because he had post season surgery.

What do people thing of Kyle Hartigan from Werribee as a rooke since Gourdis has gone ?.Surley a upgrade on him and Mgcaune.Has played on the big bodied forwards in the vfl and did well.

What do people thing of Kyle Hartigan from Werribee as a rooke since Gourdis has gone ?.Surley a upgrade on him and Mgcaune.Has played on the big bodied forwards in the vfl and did well.

Just out of curiosity mate but is he related in any way to Brent Hartigan who used to be on our list a few years back?

don tknow anything about him, but i dare say that at least one of the rookies selected will be a KPD (for depth and team balance reasons)

don tknow anything about him, but i dare say that at least one of the rookies selected will be a KPD (for depth and team balance reasons)

i wanted the club to take him in 09 i think.. was howled down over at pre apparently we just had to load up on smalls because they were the only ones who could kick.never mind they lacked in other key areas and they did absolutely nothing to address list needs.
funny how the wheel turns.we still need kpds but dont do much to ensure success with them.
dont hold your breath on us taking a kpd even in the rookie draft its not our wy to address needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hartigan and Tighe would be decent rookie pickups. They've worked hard on their deficiencies since missing the draft and I think they would be a genuine chance to step straight into AFL footy. Pace and ball use still a concern, but it's as not bad as it could be and wouldn't stop me giving one of them a year on the rookie list to prove themselves at AFL level.

1. Marley Williams 181cm 81kg mid/fwd from Claremont
2. Ben Darrou 190cm 97kg defender from Sandringham
3. Myles Bolger 202cm 95kg ruckman from South Fremantle
4. Jackson Coleman 195cm 91kg forward from Sandringham
5. Gibson Turner 177cm 69kg small forward from Glenelg
6. John Heslin 187cm 88kg Irish Import

The above group would do me for the rookie draft. We add an X factor midfielder/forward, 3 more talls to develop and a smooth looking small forward.
Reading through the phantoms being posted on the drafts and trading board and the above seems to be possible if they are anything to do by.

I have created a depth chart of our list to show the areas that need addressing in the draft next week. I separated the players into different positions and obviously many players will play multiple roles so i tried to keep it to their primary roles. IMO all midfielders need to play both inside/outside to be effective but will obviously favour one or the other so have kept them to one category. I've also tried to rank them from: established in the team, high potential to be a very good player, potentially AFL quality/fringe player and fair chance they are gone within 2 years.

Chart is as follows:

KPD

Alex Rance
Dylan Grimes
David Astbury

Jayden Post
Kelvin Moore
Luke McGuane

Currently have 6 KPD but could feasibly have only 4 after next year.

Potential recruits:
Michael Bussey 197cm/80kg/18yo (Eastern Ranges)
Kyle Hartigan 194/93/20 (Werribee VFL)
Tom Lee 192/88/20 (Claremont WAFL)

Small Lock Down Defender

Matthew Dea
Steven Morris

Currently have 2 unproven players in this category and I wouldn't mind seeing another one with good skills added.

Potential recruits:
Daniel Garside 187/82/19 (St.Bedes/Mentone VAFA)

Rebounding Defenders

Chris Newman
Bachar Houli

Jake Batchelor
Brandon Ellis

John Heslin**
Daniel Connors

Probably one of our strongest areas. IMO Ellis will have an impact next year leaving us with 4 players fighting for spots. Doubt we will add more than 1 in the rookie draft.

Potential recruits:
David Mirra 188/84/20 (Box Hill Hawks VFL)
Brayden O'Hara 183/82/24 (Centrals SANFL)
Michael Florio 188/78/20 (Perth WAFL)
Louis Egger 180/78/18 (NT Thunder)
Ben Darrou 190/97/18 (Sandringham Dragons

Inside Midfielders

Dustin Martin
Trent Cotchin
Nathan Foley

Reece Conca
Brad Helbig
Matthew Arnot

Shane Tuck
Daniel Jackson

Good mix of quality/potential and we look like adding McCarthy to the ranks. Wouldn't mind us picking up another prospect or even a mature-ager in the draft.

Potential recruits:
John McCarthy 189/82/22 (Collingwood)
Kyal Horsley 182/88/23 (Subiaco WAFL)
Tom Sundberg 184/78/23 (Collingwood VFL)
Mat Suckling 182/82/21 (Norwood SANFL)
Willie Wheeler 179/78/19 (Coburg VFL)
Josh Waldhuter 183/84/18 (Centrals SANFL)
Doug Morris 185/87/18 (Northern Knights)
Jack Charleston 177/83/18 (Western Jets)

Outside Midfielders

Brett Deledio
Shaun Grigg
Shane Edwards

Matthew White
Jeromey Webberley

Other than Deledio where is the quality here?? Grigg/Edwards are chances to come good but that's about it. Need to grab 1 or 2 who can win their own ball as well.

Potential recruits:
Steve Verrier 187/76/18
Shane Nelson 177/69/18
Jack Crisp 190/83/18
Lachlan Dalgleish 184/78/18

Rucks

Ivan Maric
Tom Derickx
Andrew Browne

Angus Graham

We have a few rucks now. Think Graham will be in trouble soon but not much quality in the draft IMO.

Potential recruits:
Myles Bolger 202/95/18
Chad Sandilands 205/93/18

KPF

Jack Riewoldt
Tyrone Vickery

Ben Griffiths
Todd Elton

Brad Miller

Another strength of ours as we already have 2 KPF's and 2 other potential AFL quality. Doubt we will take another in the draft.

Potential recruits:
Nick Murphy 193/87/18
Ben Gazzola 192/83/21
Ben Brown 199/93/19

Medium Forwards

Dean MacDonald

1 medium forward on the entire list is pretty poor. Can't imagine us not addressing this list need in the draft with at least 1 rookie if not 2.

Potential recruits:
Cameron Shenton 188/84/21
Aaron Hall 186/82/20
Damien Mascitti 187/74/19
Jake Hammond 188/84/18
Lee Spurr 182/79/24
Daniel Farmer 188/84/19
Will Farrer 184/75/21
Carl Peterson 183/??/24

Small Forwards

Robin Nahas
Jake King

Another weakness on the list. Nahas is good quality and King plays his role well but won't be around forever. Need to get a couple of x-factor small forwards in.

Potential recruits:
Addam Maric 177/76/21
Marley Williams 181/81/18
Gibson Turner 177/69/18
Alroy Gilligan 177/72/21
Darren Minchington 179/80/18

Ideal draft IMO would be:

PSD: John McCarthy (Inside Mid)

RD: Cameron Shenton (Med Fwd), Daniel Garside (Small Def), David Mirra (Reb Def), Gibson Turner (Small Fwd), Steve Verrier (Outside Mid), Will Farrer (Med Fwd)

Yes I agree with you. Might as well redraft Alroy.

Alroy gilligan & carl Peterson are miles apart.

Peterson has actually proved what he can do & its extremely good

Gilligan after 3 years couldnt break into the team & hardly did anything at coburg.................... Chalk & Cheese

Personal issues aside Peterson is a very very exciting player.

Very good post Tigs2010. id agree with you on our list assessment

i have some personal favourites for this rookie draft... Ben Darrou and Doug Morris. i think they both could be steals. By the way i would say Darrou is an undersized KPD not a running half back. More a Nathan Bock/Josh Gibson style than say Corey Enright or Robert Murphy

Morris just reminds me of shane tuck!

I say no to redrafting Peterson and Gilligan, give a new kid a go. Darrou, Nelson, Mascoulis, Boseley, Frost heaps of talent there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookie Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back