Rookie Midfielders: Top 4

Remove this Banner Ad

The_Air_Up_There

All Australian
Sep 15, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've put together a poll to help discover some gems that may have flown under the radar (maybe for obvious reasons) and also to get a little more info on some of the players mentioned. This is for your top three bench rookies + one roughie. I haven't included Swallow, Krak, Harris or Mzungu in the poll because they will be in the majority of peoples starting field, im assuming.

Discovering rookies is probably the most exciting aspect for DT & SC so hopefully some of you can shed some light on some names and include a bit of a write up about them. Some of you may think this makes it a little too easy to select players, it might be... but it creates a good topic for discussion and it's a bit different to the other rookie threads that are around.

The players can be up to 200k in price and don't have to be first year players either.

Ill start with mine -

Savage (Haw) - He's going into his third year and has shown promising signs last year in the VFL side and has played some good games this NAB tournament. He'd be pushing for a position on the wing, people are saying he's competing again Isaac Smith for a position but there's no reason why these two BOTH can't be in the side. He has pace to burn and has put on some size. I give him every chance to string a few games together this year!

Claye Beams (Bris) - With a few players leaving Brisbane last year & the main engine room in the midfield getting a bit older i can some room for some youth coming through into their midfield, they don't have much to lose in trying. There's a couple of players who could push for selection, Jared Polec being another but Beams is a fair bit cheaper so i'd roll the dice with him.

Gaff: Usually i wouldn't pick a first year player from West Coast but i think this kid is an absolute gem & could push for a role in the midfield this season. He's a top 4 pick for a reason & i dont think West Coast have much to lose by throwing him into the deep end this season, same goes for Darling. Will be interesting to see how many games he gets this season.

Roughie Pick -

Thomas Schnieder (Haw) - He's a player that may not be on many peoples radars at the moment, he's currently on Hawthorns rookie list & is a very exciting prospect indeed. If it wasn't for his height there's many who would suggest he would have been a top 20 pick in last years draft. He's a player in the same niche as Sam Mitchell. It's hard to say if this will be the year that he'll get games, it's worth a punt and im sure he's the type that could rise to the occasion. If not this year, then i'd be locking him in for next year. I'll be keeping a close eye on him!

:thumbsu:

(excuse the two other threads i ruined while making this one)

Gaff struggled against the big boys last night. Has the body of light-weight 16 year old.

Imo will spend the 1st half of the season in the WAFL.

Same apart from Atley

Okay... I'll go with you on Atley, and maybe Wallis. However I just don't know if he's best 20.... or if him and Liberatore will get rotated through. I just don't want to take the risk of having another Shuey/Banner disaster like last year. Especially when i need them to cover byes (let alone injuries!). So i'll play it safe and avoid everyone!!!!! :D

Shuey was a good rookie priced pick last year, he just got injured, but i do know what you mean. I'm still interested in Beams as he was apparently close to a game last year and the Lions have only got weaker since

Clicked on Polec. Clicked on Atley, then went "Hmmmm"....

Not the greatest list. Thank God for Swallow and duel-position cheapies like Heppell and Mzungu.

Having said that, I guess that's what makes this thread interesting, so I'll give a mention to Bennell. - He is one classy customer and guaranteed best 22. However, with GC lack of dangerous forwards I think he may spend a lot of time up there. And as we've seen so far this preseason, he isn't exactly "racking them up" at the moment. May not be worth his starting price.

I'm also keeping an eye on Lock. He's playing in the guts, has a good solid frame, but just don't know if he's best 22. I like his contested footy so far, but he's been getting tackled easily when he's had the ball. He is in the leadership group though...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those who have mentioned Hibberd, Heppel etc i was intending on doing another poll after i saw how this one went, for defenders. Bit harder to pick 20 rookie defenders so i left them for that :thumbsu:

Poll needs more Swallow

Read what i wrote in my original post. I haven't put Swallow, Mzungu, Krak or Harris in the poll because the majority of people will have them on their starting side. This is a poll for BENCH players.... Everyone knows those 4 are going to get games, would be a waste of 4 spots in the poll.

Gaff struggled against the big boys last night. Has the body of light-weight 16 year old.

Imo will spend the 1st half of the season in the WAFL.

Doesn't matter if he was 6 ft 3 and 90kg, he has elite endurance and work ethic. Will pick up lots of touches throughout the year for that sheer fact alone and will play the majority of games. Too much talent not to especially in WC's midfield. All it means is he won't spend a lot of time in the guts, maybe more off a wing. Scully didn't exactly have a big body when he entered the system. He did fine.

Illes is rookie priced and one of the first midfield rookies i pick. Hasnt played in Nab for some little reason, didnt play against the eagles because they left alot of good players out and also due to it being in Perth. Im pretty sure he was going to play in the 3rd NAB game, did that happen??

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookie Midfielders: Top 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back