Analysis Roos era to be defined in the next 8 weeks?

How many games will we win in this block?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish it was as easy as measurement by wins but we all know the following will happen:
- we will win a game we should lose
- lose a game we should win
- Lose a game everyone expected us to get smashed in by a few goals, and "give an honourable effort" (probably this has already been achieved against North)
- Lose a game from an un-lose-able position
- Get smashed by Hawks or WB
- Give everyone who watches Melbourne vs. Brisbane cancer

The best thing that Roos can instil in this club is consistency and professionalism. I think we are heading in the right direction but this does not really translate directly into more wins IMO because there are so many variables i.e. the improvement of other teams, Buckley's Magpies coming out this week with something to prove etc.

That being said I realistically see us winning 3. That would have us sitting 4 and 7 at halfway. Given our second half of the season fixture this would be below club expectations I think.

I wish it was as easy as measurement by wins but we all know the following will happen:
- we will win a game we should lose
- lose a game we should win
- Lose a game everyone expected us to get smashed in by a few goals, and "give an honourable effort" (probably this has already been achieved against North)
- Lose a game from an un-lose-able position
- Get smashed by Hawks or WB
- Give everyone who watches Melbourne vs. Brisbane cancer

The best thing that Roos can instil in this club is consistency and professionalism. I think we are heading in the right direction but this does not really translate directly into more wins IMO because there are so many variables i.e. the improvement of other teams, Buckley's Magpies coming out this week with something to prove etc.

That being said I realistically see us winning 3. That would have us sitting 4 and 7 at halfway. Given our second half of the season fixture this would be below club expectations I think.
I think we've pretty much knocked off the first 3. 4 sounds just lovely and I can't wait for that one. I don't personally see why we wouldn't necessarily get smashed by Bulldogs and Hawks, though obviously not at the same time. I'm going to try to keep my eyes closed for Brisbane v Melbourne which is what I should have done last year and the year before. I'm not certain what that leaves us. Maybe a low scoring draw somewhere. That could max out my annoyance for the early part of the year. Throw in some injuries and maybe another suspension. Maybe Jesse Hogan gets a three match ban for being moody. We could bring in Dawes about now. And then Toump can kick a bag somewhere. Well obviously that would be strange but he could sort of nudge a handbag by mistake on a flight somewhere and apologise to the owner. And at some stage Steven Dank is going to tell a journalist that he gave TB4 and rhino horn powder to half our list in the 2013 pre season so I think he should just get it over with and announce that one tomorrow.

Thank you all for listening :D it's nice to sometimes just kick back and make the most of the Dr Whoooooo ban

I recon well beat the Tiges, upset Gold Coast and thump Brisbane. We will lose in agonising fashion vs Collingwood as they shut Hogan down as a team and Fasolo bobs upo to kick 6 (arrogant lil ****), Saints try harder for longer and that will get them over the line (just), Doggies will forget the lube and ram it home, Port will flog us as we suck in the NT, Hawks with be similar to the doggies but with bigger *****...

And at some stage Steven Dank is going to tell a journalist that he gave TB4 and rhino horn powder to half our list in the 2013 pre season so I think he should just get it over with and announce that one tomorrow.
Whoa.

Quoting myself to draw attention to my Nostradamus powers here. I hope I didn't make it happen

Wait what?
Apparently Damian Barrett (he's a flog) made mention yesterday that Dank has now claimed that he injected 17 Melbourne players with, dunno, testosterone or something.

It was going to happen, but I thought it might be Mark Robinson and the story would be held for the right moment - like if Trengove is selected to play in 2016 or something lovely like that

Apparently Damian Barrett (he's a flog) made mention yesterday that Dank has now claimed that he injected 17 Melbourne players with, dunno, testosterone or something.

It was going to happen, but I thought it might be Mark Robinson and the story would be held for the right moment - like if Trengove is selected to play in 2016 or something lovely like that

What a flog. Doesn't look like anyone else is running with it though.

Since when did anyone believe a word that came out of Dank's mouth?

What a flog. Doesn't look like anyone else is running with it though.

Since when did anyone believe a word that came out of Dank's mouth?
Suspect he's after money from the AFL. His business has just gone under - EFC and AFL have pretty much encouraged the "we knew nothing and were mislead by this guy" and he can't work in sport again. Meantime Weapon was paid 1.2 million and found a gig at KPMG. So first Dank starts talking to media about Gold Coast, then Melbourne. Today probably Geelong gets a turn.

I think it was actually an attempt to find more legal-erish ways to boost the player's natural test production levels, not actual testosterone injections. Big difference(50 thousand volts worse if you know what I mean...) whether they took anything illegal or not is another question

I think it was actually an attempt to find more legal-erish ways to boost the player's natural test production levels, not actual testosterone injections. Big difference(50 thousand volts worse if you know what I mean...) whether they took anything illegal or not is another question
Yeah.

I'd guess the chances of something prohibited having been taken are very very high. Can't think of a good reason why Dank would change up his MO for Melbourne's sake. Unless he was working through a sort of introductory grooming phase with innocuous supplements or something before getting the arse - but that doesn't seem deeply likely. But I'm not certain that there will be sufficient evidence to provoke further probing - after all Dank has a tendency to say any old crap when asked. And so far media don't seem especially excited (lucky it's the end of the week)

Last edited:
The Paul Roos era will not be defined by this season. You have to remember how shocking our list and performance was after Bailey/Prendergast then Neeld had their way with it. Roos has come in and undeniably improved our structure, list, playing style etc. We are still one of the youngest teams in the league with the least experience. I think in three to five years time we'll be able to assess how great Roos' impact was, not before. It really disgusts me when supporters keep having a go at Roos when we lose games, like they have such short memories and don't remember losing by 100 points every week for years on end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Paul Roos era will not be defined by this season. You have to remember how shocking our list and performance was after Bailey/Prendergast then Neeld had their way with it. Roos has come in and undeniably improved our structure, list, playing style etc. We are still one of the youngest teams in the league with the least experience. I think in three to five years time we'll be able to assess how great Roos' impact was, not before. It really disgusts me when supporters keep having a go at Roos when we lose games, like they have such short memories and don't remember losing by 100 points every week for years on end.

While I agree with all your points, i think i expected us to be more consistent by now. I also expected Roos to land us at least 1 A Grader from another club too. Yes he has been tremendous for the culture of the club. From training to getting the right staff on board to getting a list together that looks half decent. But with what we are paying him, i expect that. Its not unreasonable for some people to expect more wins from his third and final year with us. Yes, his legacy cant truly be set in stone until the likes of Hogan, Brayshaw, Petracca, Salem etc have played 100+ games. But i think people have a right to judge him based on games won and lost in his third year as the best paid coach in the comp, even if he was starting from a long way back. Tigers, Pies and Saints are all winnable games with 2 of those clubs in particular playing horrible football . Yet i still have no confidence in saying we will win any of those games.

So true. Wins do matter and it is easy to get sucked in to hype etc. but honestly when you take a step back and just view things objectively the difference between the Melbourne of now and the Melbourne of 2012/13 is incomparable.

This year there is a lot of "which Melbourne will turn up the team that scored 130 points and can actually WIN games or the team that lost to Essendon?"

Very frustrating - but compare that to "which Melbourne will turn up, the team that will lose by 10 goals or the team that will lose by 20 goals?" Definite improvement. This season will have it's ups and downs for sure but like you said it is probably only fair to assess the success of Roos' period after the fact to see what the lasting results are.

While I agree with all your points, i think i expected us to be more consistent by now. I also expected Roos to land us at least 1 A Grader from another club too. Yes he has been tremendous for the culture of the club. From training to getting the right staff on board to getting a list together that looks half decent. But with what we are paying him, i expect that. Its not unreasonable for some people to expect more wins from his third and final year with us. Yes, his legacy cant truly be set in stone until the likes of Hogan, Brayshaw, Petracca, Salem etc have played 100+ games. But i think people have a right to judge him based on games won and lost in his third year as the best paid coach in the comp, even if he was starting from a long way back. Tigers, Pies and Saints are all winnable games with 2 of those clubs in particular playing horrible football . Yet i still have no confidence in saying we will win any of those games.

Right but you have no confidence because we're Melbourne and have been awful for a ridiculous length of time. Supporter confidence is probably more based on recent history than a lack of confidence in Roos. There's only so much a coach can do. As for getting an A grader, i'm sure Roos tried. He's done some fairly savvy trades. think Tyson and Salem for pick 3. or Kennedy for Howe, both big wins. No A grader in their prime will request a trade to Melbourne until we prove we're capable of playing finals regardless of who the senior coach is.

Back