MF

Good Poster, Shit Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25345218-5017479,00.html

AS REGULAR readers of this column know, I've often written about the draft and salary cap being important tools for rebuilding, and one of the reasons fans are excited by a new season.
Carlton are a perfect example of a football club that has been able to use the draft to mould their list into a very, very good team.
Just how good only time will tell but with the talent they have assembled the Blues have the potential to become a perennial top-four team like Brisbane during their triple premiership reign.
Carlton last won the flag in 1995 when they easily outclassed Geelong by 61 points. They were denied another flag in the 1999 Grand Final by North Melbourne. But, since 2001 when they finished sixth, the Blues haven't featured in the finals - finishing in the bottom two on five occasions.
By quickly running through Carlton's top draft picks during the past several years, you can see the evolution of a team from strugglers to potential champions.
In 2002, despite finishing last, Carlton were still being punished by the AFL for salary cap breaches and had to forfeit their first two draft picks, so they selected Kade Simpson at pick 45.
But then things started to look up for the Blues when they selected Andrew Walker with pick two in the 2003 national draft after finishing 15th.
In 2004, Carlton finished 11th and picked up talented midfielder Nick Stevens with pick two in the pre-season draft and Jordan Russell with pick nine in the national draft.
After finishing last again in 2005, the Blues snared Eddie Betts with pick three in the pre-season draft followed by Marc Murphy with pick one and Josh Kennedy with pick four in the national draft that year.
In 2006, the Blues won the wooden spoon and were able to again take the best junior player in the country, selecting midfielder Bryce Gibbs with pick one.
The following year, after finishing 15th, Carlton had obtained a priority selection and again took the best junior player in the country in ruckman Matthew Kreuzer.
On top of that the Blues were able to cash in on their wealth of early draft picks by pulling off the biggest trade in a decade, giving up Josh Kennedy for Chris Judd.
Last year the Blues finished 11th and picked up another exciting young prospect who is yet to make his debut in medium-sized forward Chris Yarran with pick six.
With so many great draft picks and the Judd trade, it's easy to see why Carlton are tipped by the experts to significantly improve this season and can look forward to a period of sustained success.
It shows just how effectively you can rebuild a list through the draft and by key trades, but it requires bottoming out for a period of three or four years.
But, as I've said before, this is not a luxury we can afford at the Swans at this stage.
But it does make you wonder what sort of team Sydney could have been if the Swans did finish down the bottom of the ladder for three or four years.

A nice backhanded swipe at our opponents disguised as an article.

haha go roosy!!!!!!

This constitutes as a swipe??

Well, yeah.... he's tried to dress it up as an article but I fail to see what point there is to it other than highlighting how the bulk of Carlton's team has been constructed from high draft picks. All he does is list their picks and then conclude by pointing out that Sydney have done just as well without those benefits.

I'd definitely call it a swipe but if you're willing to give Roosy the benefit of the doubt then you're a fairer man than I.

Roos is a genius. He is absolutely having a swipe at Carlton, and this certainly is not the first time.
He has had a number of articles in the past silently attacking clubs for deliberately dropping to the bottom of the ladder, topping up their list with high draft picks (after years down the bottom) and then jumping up and down when they are on the rise like they are the return of jesus in revelations.

He keenly points out, that we as a club have managed to stay relatively competitive over 13 seasons, without the need to do the above. The amount of publicity the 'requirement' for bottoming out is ridiculous and I hope Roos and the Swans prove the stupidity of it once again.

But the thing is...Carlton did not "deliberately drop to the bottom of the ladder" - They we're just shit. In fact they we're trying desperately to stay away - they had Irish experiments, that talented ruckman they tried to reform but robbed teammates homes anyway plus Karl Norman who could've been a good backman, they traded draft picks to get ruckman so they could stay competitive instead of playing their just drafted ones. They went for Saddington from us to get some experience and leadership in their side.

All moves that Roos himself has done at Sydney. Carlton just didn't have the culture or players to keep them competitive.

I think Roos is definitely getting to those Blues fans:D

My game review..

c5603fea.jpg

Watching a replay, I started nodding off as Sydney started to take control in the second quarter. :thumbsdown: :mad:

**** YOU ROOS! YOU ****!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can only imagine how much they must hate us. I hate being Collingwoods bitch but it must be twice as bad for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Roos takes a swipe at Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back