Player Watch Rory Laird

Remove this Banner Ad

And all deserved apart from keays who’s skills are akin to an average little leaguer.
Gather you haven't watched many of our games this year... not that I would blame you.

Said we should've traded him after his breakout midfield season - stand by it.

30 meaningless touches, doesn't help us at all.
Agreed!!! But it’s actually far worse, it’s like giving the opposition one of your players - because any Laird kick over 20m results in a turnover, so you could basically say Laird is a gun for 17 other teams and has been his whole career.

Laird was actually amazing yesterday. Got smothered kicking out resulting in a goal, latter in the 3rd qtr i think handballs directly to the opposition in the middle under little pressure which directly also resulted in a goal. And then in the last got smothered again trying to kick out and get a free stat. Also the non effort running right past Grundy.

All this after accusing his team mate for not being team first.

Couldn't make this sh1t up. It's time to realise that he is the cancer in the club along with all the other underperforming so called leaders.

David King roasted him tonight.

"If you're gonna talk a big game you gotta back it up."

"I'd love there to be a round 25, you made a hard call, let's see if you're capable of making another one"
Apart from his Rankine comments during his trade season, I’ve liked Kingy recently in the media

That said, Rankine may well have been ‘poorly advised’, given how bleak we’re looking right now

We agree to disagree! Yeah - it’s been tough but once we blooded bond, Taylor, Dowling and curtin, we have all seen a slight turn around. With a fit pedlar and Milera to come back we actually have a pretty decent team.

Agree to disagree....bloke kicked 34 goals this year, top 10 in AFL ratings for Medium Forwards in the entire season (out of 125 medium forwards) and on top of all that he's not even a forward. You have NFI

I guarantee if he "moved a little smoother" people's opinion would be much different. Peoples only issue is that he looks a little unorthodox. Gross bias in my opinon
Such a hard worker, hard runner, great team man, and this year has kicked a lot of the goals he should. Should be top 3 in B&F, and could win it.

Can you imagine the reaction to this thread if he (gulp) manages to win a 4th gold jacket this year?

I know a few of you like me just swallowed a bit of vomit at that very thought, but... it is possible. :eekv1:

View attachment 2090335
It is not possible.
Crouch will beat him as a midfield possibility. Dawson will beat them both. Ineffective as a defender. Stat padder. Low impact player who has regressed to team liability.

P.s my tip...Rory to miss the top 10.

And all deserved apart from keays who’s skills are akin to an average little leaguer.
Benny has his limitations but we have 30 guys on the list to concern ourselves about before him.

I'd be happy with Keays as captain. Looks like the type one would follow. Dawson is good but Benny wouldn't disappoint if it became so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laird was actually amazing yesterday. Got smothered kicking out resulting in a goal, latter in the 3rd qtr i think handballs directly to the opposition in the middle under little pressure which directly also resulted in a goal. And then in the last got smothered again trying to kick out and get a free stat. Also the non effort running right past Grundy.

All this after accusing his team mate for not being team first.

Couldn't make this sh1t up. It's time to realise that he is the cancer in the club along with all the other underperforming so called leaders.
Honestly, this rhetoric (and others like it) is borderline hysterical.

Laird shouldn't have said anything. Period. He had a shit game. Period. He wasn't on his Pat Malone. He is a three time Best and Fairest champion of this club. He deserves better than this BS.

The Club handled it poorly. The players played accordingly.

Can you imagine the reaction to this thread if he (gulp) manages to win a 4th gold jacket this year?

I know a few of you like me just swallowed a bit of vomit at that very thought, but... it is possible. :eekv1:

View attachment 2090335

If he wins it, all that does is say more about our coaching staff and club. Absolute incompetence.

Honestly, this rhetoric (and others like it) is borderline hysterical.

Laird shouldn't have said anything. Period. He had a shit game. Period. He wasn't on his Pat Malone. He is a three time Best and Fairest champion of this club. He deserves better than this BS.

The Club handled it poorly. The players played accordingly.
I don't disagree wit you Jenny that Rory has runs on the board and deserves respect for them. However, it's not our reaction which is the issue. It's his drop in form. If he was still the player we remember, we'd all be silent.

He's had a shocking year on field and looks to be coping poorly with his new role. I think the whinging looks and gestures attract attention. and unfortunately, we're seeing them a lot this year.

It's a bigger conversation but AFL footballers are only sports entertainers. Like dancers, actors, musicians and other PROFESSIONAL sports players, they're only worth what someone is prepared to pay to watch. That's their only business model. In sports, winning seems important but only from an accounting perspective. Nothing significant happens in the world that depends on an AFL premiership. If Rory is not winning, not happy, not helping his team, the people don't want to watch and he becomes the target of their frustration.

I don't know Rory Laird but I wish him well. But I also think a Matt Crouch reinvention or retirement is needed to save his career and legacy. And lastly, another two years of this form...sheeesh

Been a good player for the club in the previous seasons but he has declined as a player and the game has evolved past him.

Laird does not, nor does any player, deserve to be called some of the names being used in posts on here. Mods you should probably cleanse some of these highly offensive and hurtful posts please.

Laird will not be in our next finals team, has very limited value in the 22 now and is a source of frustration for fans and I'd assume for team mates now.

Should not be in plans for best 22 for next season, nor should cooked Smith ("big part of our future" LOL you idiot Nicks) or talentless Murphy. After the disaster of this season it's time for a seismic shift in selection policy. I have faith in what I've seen of the under exposed young players, now just play them.

View attachment 2090335

There is absolutely no way that Laird can win the B&F. Even with our moronic voting method, there's no way that Laird can poll too highly. No way they move him out of the midfield if he was performing in there. That said, it's not easy to pick a winner, so many have had up and down seasons. Keays has been one of the best, but don't think he started all that well. Dawson has had a poor year based on what his best has been. Rankine will win votes/game by a margin, but missed too much footy. Given the b&f is all about degree of performing your role, won't be surprised to see Max vote well and give it a nudge. Murphy will vote stupidly well again because game impact isn't a metric that earns b&f votes.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rory Laird

Remove this Banner Ad

Back