News Rosa Re-Signs

Remove this Banner Ad

If we traded for a good young player like Daniel Rich then i am for it. If we trade it for an underforming and over rated but experiences 26 year old from another club just to prop us up then i will be pissed.

I don't want us going in there with a mind set to just trade it out for the best offer we get

When has any club done this? Never?
Worsfold has said over and over that they will weigh up the benefits of drafting a young player v trading for a mature player. Nobody makes snap decisions on the day - people dedicate their entire lives to football clubs.

But Geoffe - the age of the player is irrelevant right? So a 26 year old shouldn't be propping us up?

So we go with Hardie's turmoil and wanting to trade our first round pick - and woosha is pushing this through - just like last year eh?

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=82993

Going down the same path this year as well...

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=101135

Looks like we topped up last year as well selling our soul for an over-rated 26 year old to prop us up eh?

You would have put a negative spin on either outcome.

Rosa contract entended - hes a dud player. Worsfold doesn't know what he's doing.
Rosa is delisted - Worsfold is so incompetent even Rosa doesn't want to stay. Get rid of Worsfold.

This is why there are complete threads of people commenting on how they don't take you seriously.

I am on the record from a considerabel period of time ago saying we should trade or delist Rosa. You should know because you followed me around in those threads like a bad smell posting attempted retorts at literally everything i said that were full of nothing, just as you posts here are full of nothing except lame attempts at landing a personal blow on me.

Why do keep carrying on telling me i have just made a "poor post" with a frowny face to go with it and telling me about how some of your friends on here don't like me? Do you think i care? Do you think i am worried about what you or any of your friends think? I don't. I would listen to what you have to say even if i don't agree with it if there was any independent opinion with supporting logic in anything you post. But there isn't. There is nothing to even bother replying to the great majority of the time except pathetic attempts to land a blow on me that miss the target by a country mile. Your just an annoyance with nothing to say and that is why i ignore you most of the time.

But Geoffe - the age of the player is irrelevant right? So a 26 year old shouldn't be propping us up?

So we go with Hardie's turmoil and wanting to trade our first round pick - and woosha is pushing this through - just like last year eh?

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=82993

Going down the same path this year as well...

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=101135

Looks like we topped up last year as well selling our soul for an over-rated 26 year old to prop us up eh?

The age of the player is highly relevent. A player like Rich who is 19 or whatever has probably, barring injury 200 games in front of him. A 26 year old probably has about 70-80 games left.

Where on earth would you get an idea that age is not relevent when trading a top 5 draft pick for a player?

I would rather listen to commentators on 6PR than have circle jerks with other eagles supporters who want to pretend all our players are world beaters. Or spend my time in an AFL record cherry picking and massaging statistics that support a point a view i have already fomed and then presenting it on here as irrefutable proof of something as you do.

Where did I say Rosa was a world beater - i said he was average - not terrible, not great - average.

Geoffe - i don't cherry pick stats - and i at least use objective information - you use f.ck all - except listen to 6pr and Brad Hardie who was sacked from a voluntary role eh?

So Geoffe - you reckon you look into CEO's eyes and can tell when they talk bullshit - yet you are happy to get your gossip on a club from a bankrupt problem gambler who couldn't pick a winner to save himself.

This is the same bloke who bags Malthouse relentlessly - a bloke who has coached for 26 years, 6 grand finals and 2 flags.

Spare me!

The age of the player is highly relevent. A player like Rich who is 19 or whatever has probably, barring injury 200 games in front of him. A 26 year old probably has about 70-80 games left.

Where on earth would you get an idea that age is not relevent when trading a top 5 draft pick for a player?

No - you said that Worsfold would trade in a 26 year old to 'prop up' the club.

I just want to know if age is irrelevant - why would a 26 year old be propping up a club - when a 19 year old wouldn't?

It's the same line you have trotted out for a while which is based purely in your vitriolic fantasy. In Worsfold's time at the club - we've had 2 blokes over 23 come into the team - both won a flag.

We've never had a 26 year old come onto the list. You don't think Woosha changes when it comes to coaching? yet when it suits - you think he'll completely change strategy now?

Keep on rolling with Brad though

i think this is a good positive move. btw cant we put cox and embley on the vet list which mean with notte, wilkes, spanger and bmac going we have 6 free spots on the list. plus there is a chance hansen might "retire" with no pay out and help around the club for the same amount of money as he was going to be paid

rosa_rd209_a.jpg

Rosa about to deliver a trademark spearing pass inside forward 50.

Nice try FS. You only say that now after i bring it up to be a smart asse. Your first reaction and comment was to talk about improvement, not performance, just like the rest of them.

I dispute that he is an AFL standard player or that his disposal or defensive abilities are adequate. I think they are still well below adequate. And even if you want to say they are adequate, what are his strengths then? You can't get a game being adequate in some areas and crap in others. Where does he excel? What are his strengths? How does he contribute?
I was happy with his year this year, and the improvement he has shown to date says to me that he will actually continue to get better

This pisses me off.

Without disputing Rosa is a good player, he obviously wants to go and will leave within 2-3 years by which time he will be out of the best 22 and with minimal trade value.

He's the only one that's put his hand up to leave that has any value to other clubs and we'll get nothing for him.

And if Stevenson goes I will spit the dummy and stop watching footy for a year.

Interesting logic...or lack thereof. :rolleyes:

Players do not generally re-sign with clubs if they want to leave said club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geoff/15 year member, you jump the gun too much.

Lets just wait and see first.

In one of your posts you mentioned Trevor Woodhouse with regards to Rosa's resigning. He has nothing to do with his resigning at all, he is the recruiting manager and thats it.

He spends all his time watching juniors from all around the country and rates them for us.

His brother was in charge of list management.

But the decision to resign a player ultimately rests with John.

Also someone mentioned if Woosha traded pick 4 and managed to get us Brandon Matera what would you think, you never answered ?

Personally I would be stoked with that result, also give up pick 4 for a Rich or maybe even a Mitch Clarke.

But apart from that I too have doubts about John's list management.

For me personally think Brett Jones, Ash Hansen and Mark Nicoski need to be removed.

My problem with you is you don't seem to know our players all that well and make big statements.
Seriously you said you would delist Rosa, thats just stupid.
He's no champion but he is definate best 22 and there is alot of others in line to be culled before him.

John has done alot of things wrong, I have no problem saying that he went one tall too many this year for my liking, and played too many players out of position.

Next you will try to drag Trevor Nisbett in saying he should be sacked when most in AFL circles think he is one of the best in the business.

You dont seem to be able to step back from your position of sack everybody, try balancing your arguments, and stop with the doom and gloom all the time.

For someone who has been a 15 year member, how much time have you spent down at the club this year ?

On topic: I think this a good thing.. happy with this decision.. He is in our best 22 so didn't see why we should get rid of him

Off topic: Geoffe Miles...Is there anything that the Eagles have done, in the past year, that you are pleased about? Your negativity is exhausting to read, I can't even imagine how tired you must feel...

Geoff/15 year member, you jump the gun too much.

Lets just wait and see first.

In one of your posts you mentioned Trevor Woodhouse with regards to Rosa's resigning. He has nothing to do with his resigning at all, he is the recruiting manager and thats it.

He spends all his time watching juniors from all around the country and rates them for us.

His brother was in charge of list management.

But the decision to resign a player ultimately rests with John.

Also someone mentioned if Woosha traded pick 4 and managed to get us Brandon Matera what would you think, you never answered ?

Personally I would be stoked with that result, also give up pick 4 for a Rich or maybe even a Mitch Clarke.

But apart from that I too have doubts about John's list management.

For me personally think Brett Jones, Ash Hansen and Mark Nicoski need to be removed.

My problem with you is you don't seem to know our players all that well and make big statements.
Seriously you said you would delist Rosa, thats just stupid.
He's no champion but he is definate best 22 and there is alot of others in line to be culled before him.

John has done alot of things wrong, I have no problem saying that he went one tall too many this year for my liking, and played too many players out of position.

Next you will try to drag Trevor Nisbett in saying he should be sacked when most in AFL circles think he is one of the best in the business.

You dont seem to be able to step back from your position of sack everybody, try balancing your arguments, and stop with the doom and gloom all the time.

For someone who has been a 15 year member, how much time have you spent down at the club this year ?

I wasn't referring to Woodhouse, i was referring to Nisbett. And he is not the best in the business at all. Nisbett seems to think a CEO's role is just to call someone to come and try and do a salvage job when the bus drives off the cliff. I think the CEO's role is to stop it driving off the cliff in the first place. Especially when Nisbett can devote all his energies to steering the bus. We are not struggling for money, members or sponsors and Nisbett would not have to spend a considerable amount of his time dealing with financial isues and trying to do deals to bring money in as most CEO's do. Have you heard Nisbett articulate a plan for pulling us out of this mess? Don't you think we should hear some detailed plan from him after a 3 year period like this and especially after he has implemented no significant changes in response? I have never seen Nisbett be pro active in anything. He is highly reactive. He waits for problems to become catastrophes and then just tries to mop up the mess and blame others.

I am fine if they trade the pick for a young player like Rich or Matera but that is not what is being suggested. What is being suggested is trading it for an experienced player.

I think times like this call for radical intervention. It might be tempting to sit on your hands and pretend everything will get better on it's own but it won't. How can a club that wins the spoon just turn over 4 players?

Look at the good sides in teh comp in modern day footy. What do they all have in common? Tackling skills and good disposal. Those are the corner stones of modern footy. Worsfold hasn't grasped this yet which may explain why we are the worst in teh comp in both categories. You can not have players in you side who can't tackle or kick and that describes Rosa to a tea.

On topic: I think this a good thing.. happy with this decision.. He is in our best 22 so didn't see why we should get rid of him

Off topic: Geoffe Miles...Is there anything that the Eagles have done, in the past year, that you are pleased about? Your negativity is exhausting to read, I can't even imagine how tired you must feel...

There is nothing they have done that is good. F*** ups left, right and center. Flawed processes, no logic, wrong motivation in decision making and as a result very bad outcomes.

I am a buddhist and don't believe in negativity or positivity. They are not real concepts and exist only in the eye of the beholder. I could just as easily mount a case that i am the positive one for promoting change and the people resisting it are the negative ones.

There is no negative and positive, only real and unreal.

I would also argue that the motivation of the club is to just follow the path of least resistance and as a buddhist wll tell you appraching things with the wrong motivation leads to undesirable outcomes.

Here's my analysis from another thread.

With Rosa signed, in order for us to use four ND picks (including a late one on Brennan), and pick 1 in the PSD and promote Stevenson we would need to "retire" two guys who are contracted.

For salary cap reasons I can only see us paying out one contract, to give us the PSD pick.

Dont we get breathing space in the salary cap next year by putting Embley and Cox on the veterans list?? trying to free up salary cap space next year could also be behind Rosa's and Lynch's contracts??

Surely between those 2 moves we can afford 1 blokes salary...

Which means 4 ND picks and upgrading Stevenson?

If that happens it will be very good list management

Nice try FS. You only say that now after i bring it up to be a smart asse. Your first reaction and comment was to talk about improvement, not performance, just like the rest of them.

I dispute that he is an AFL standard player or that his disposal or defensive abilities are adequate. I think they are still well below adequate. And even if you want to say they are adequate, what are his strengths then? You can't get a game being adequate in some areas and crap in others. Where does he excel? What are his strengths? How does he contribute?

Rosa excels at knowing where to be to find the ball, and find the ball often enough he does. He excels at being a linkman due to his aerobic capacity.

Rosa now has AFL quality tackling and defensive pressure. Unlike in previous years, he has now shown a willingness to put his head over the ball and take physical contact. Also, with Rosa averaging 75% disposal efficiency for the 2010 season, that is a number of good and acceptable standard for any AFL player.

What I feel Rosa needs to work on is to get forward of centre and start to become a goal scoring threat. This is how Embley hurt the opposition in the past when playing on a Wing. When playing on a Wing similar to Rosa, Embley at times has decided to play goal side as a receiver, instead of positioning himself on the defensive side like Rosa. If Rosa remains a linkman around the ground and an outlet around the contest, while adding the kicking of more goals to his game, he then takes his game up a level by becoming dangerous and someone the opposition has to put more time into. As seen by his 2010 performances, he's fixed other aspects of his game. Fixing the offensive side of his game is what should be his focus.

That improvement will have to come when Woosha is replaced. I don't hold up any hope of us improving while he is in charge.

I agree with you and Geoffe on this. I would like to see Worsfold paid out and shipped off. He's in self preservation mode at present and is now putting personal ambition before the interests of the team, seemingly.

I can understand that Worsfold wants to remain on his cushy $1 million a season. His methods in remaining as coach by bringing in senior players to get instant results isn't in sync with what's required at this stage in the clubs rebuild.

If personal ambition has overcome Worsfold to the point of acting against the club's best interests, this act is traitorous. Nothing good can be accomplished in season 2011 if this is the case.

I know Woosha loves the club, but I bet he likes a $1 million a season more.

Yeah good post Tesseract re: Rosa. Has improved in several areas of his game in recent seasons but until he becomes a threat offensively (whether it be kicking goals or setting them up) then he will not be anything more than a serviceable player.

I am happy with his re-signing though - comfortably in our best 22 and his trend is definitely upwards.

Do people really think that a handful of players moving from 40 games to 60 or 20 games to 40 over the cours of next season if just going to propel us out of the bottom 4?

Honestly yes. Maybe not next season but certainly in the next two or three seasons I would be backing a good proportion of Masten, S.Selwood, Swift, Naitanui, MacKenzie, Brown, Ebert, Sheppard, Shuey etc to become genuine class players and lift us out of the bottom 4. Have a look at the guys that have taken big steps forward over the last couple of seasons and performed well in our B&F - LeCras, Hurn, Priddis, Kennedy etc. All guys that have moved past 50 games and now look comfortable at AFL level. It's just that we have a ridiculously small bunch of players in that category but as we get more blokes at that level of experience the wins will follow.

The vast majority of quality players in the AFL were not a Judd or Joel Selwood that blitzed their first season. Most of them were very much in the "potential" category until either having a break-out season (generally approaching the 50 game mark) or simply steady improvement until reaching the level of being a quality player at AFL level.

I agree with you and Geoffe on this. I would like to see Worsfold paid out and shipped off. He's in self preservation mode at present and is now putting personal ambition before the interests of the team, seemingly.

His methods in remaining as coach by bringing in senior players to get instant results isn't in sync with what's required at this stage in the clubs rebuild.

Proof please?

Remove this Banner Ad

News Rosa Re-Signs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back