News Rosa Re-Signs

Remove this Banner Ad

Glad I could spark such rigorous debate. If supporters cannot weigh up the pro's and cons of a player constructively who can.

Greenick. PM your address now.

Literally have it in an envelope ready to go. Been sitting on my desk at work forever.

Having lunch with David Mundy. No lie

Glad I could spark such rigorous debate. If supporters cannot weigh up the pro's and cons of a player constructively who can.

Greenick. PM your address now.

Literally have it in an envelope ready to go. Been sitting on my desk at work forever.

Having lunch with David Mundy. No lie
Pasta bake?

Rosa is out of contract and therefore the GC could have had him for nothing. They wouldn't even have had to offer a big contract to lure him given the eagles only gave him 2 years and he half wanted to leave anyway.

They desperately need experienced and seasoned players and they could have had him for nothing and they didn't even look at him. They didn't even talk to him let alone offer him a contract. They deemed him not worthy of even having a spot on their underdeveloped and inexperienced list. So that would appear to put paid to suggestions that he is best 22 at any club in the comp or that he is rated as even a semi decent player by the rest of the comp. Another club that could have had him for nothing didn't even want him.

Further evidence would be that he signed a 2 year deal. The contract that a footy player signs between the ages of say 23 and 27 is THE deal for the majority of players. That is when your market value is highest and that deal is the one that is supposed to set you up for life after footy. Rosa signed on for a paltry 2 years. It wouldn't have been because he wanted to or thought it was good deal for him and lived up to his expectations. It would have been only because nobdy offered him anything better.

Rosa is out of contract and therefore the GC could have had him for nothing. They wouldn't even have had to offer a big contract to lure him given the eagles only gave him 2 years and he half wanted to leave anyway.

They desperately need experienced and seasoned players and they could have had him for nothing and they didn't even look at him. They didn't even talk to him let alone offer him a contract. They deemed him not worthy of even having a spot on their underdeveloped and inexperienced list. So that would appear to put paid to suggestions that he is best 22 at any club in the comp or that he is rated as even a semi decent player by the rest of the comp. Another club that could have had him for nothing didn't even want him.

Further evidence would be that he signed a 2 year deal. The contract that a footy player signs between the ages of say 23 and 27 is THE deal for the majority of players. That is when your market value is highest and that deal is the one that is supposed to set you up for life after footy. Rosa signed on for a paltry 2 years. It wouldn't have been because he wanted to or thought it was good deal for him and lived up to his expectations. It would have been only because nobdy offered him anything better.
What a load of rubbish.

a) How do you know if GC spoke to his manager at all? He's Vic boy so why would he move to Qld from WA. He would've had no trouble being picked up by another side in Melbourne.
b) His contract length was undisclosed, however most comntracts (except for the really big fish) are 2 years these days.

We get that you don't like him, but using assumptions to twist an argument that frankly doesn't stack up even if they were facts adds nothing to the debate.

What a load of rubbish.

a) How do you know if GC spoke to his manager at all? He's Vic boy so why would he move to Qld from WA. He would've had no trouble being picked up by another side in Melbourne.
b) His contract length was undisclosed, however most comntracts (except for the really big fish) are 2 years these days.

We get that you don't like him, but using assumptions to twist an argument that frankly doesn't stack up even if they were facts adds nothing to the debate.

C'mon Larri - Geoffe's looked them all in the eye and then followed up with a phonecall to Brad. It's all fact.

Now when you present him with real facts - it's just cherry picked information - but Geoffe has the good oil. He knows what players earn, he knows their contract negotiations, he knows what Woosha is planning to do with out draft picks.

In fact I'm sure he must be one of the Woodhouses with all the inside info he has!

What a load of rubbish.

Your the one spouting rubbish. How often does a player who is 24 years old, 100 games under his belt, no injury history and a regular in the 22 selected sign a deal for 2 years? Not often. 2 year or 1 year deals are for fringe players and blokes over 27, not for 24 year old best 22 players that are being coveted and courted by other clubs.

I didn't say he would not get picked up by another side in Melbourne. I said he obviously coudn't find one willing to offer better contract terms and money than what the eagles offered him. He was obviously fairly underwhelmed by the offer put to him and was shopping for something better. It would be fairly logical to say that the fact that he signed with the eagles means he couldn't get a better price for his sevices elsewhere.

It was reported on radio stations that he and his manager shopped around including GC. I didn't hear of any interest for him from GC. Did you? And they certainly never got to the stage of offering him a contract. The fact remains, and it is a fact - they could have had him for nothing and they didn't want him.

He would move to GC for the same reason as everybody else that has gone there - money and favourable contract terms.

Whether you share Geoffe's pessimism or not, I think he's onto something re: the length of Rosa's deal. 2 years say The West. That takes him to 26, which is squarely in the nether-world of AFL ages, and definitely too old to still have potential.

I think in more normal times (that is to say, non-expansion-weirdy-drafts) Rosa would have a little more viability in the market. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't garner much interest - though that's not necessarily his fault.

The West's print edition (old fashioned, I know) said that the deal would take him to the end of 2012. I realise that's not a great reference, but it's what I read whilst eating a chicken, lettuce and cheese roll for lunch.
Fair enough. I stated I assumed it was a 2 year deal earlier in this thread, but hadn't seen a source. Thew West may have put 2 and 2 together as well.

How was the roll?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough. I stated I assumed it was a 2 year deal earlier in this thread, but hadn't seen a source. Thew West may have put 2 and 2 together as well.

How was the roll?

Solid 6.5/10, 7/10 at a pinch. Rosa-esque in that sense. A little disappointing by IGA Margaret River standards, but was hard to fault the Augusta Bakery roll itself.

Whether you share Geoffe's pessimism or not, I think he's onto something re: the length of Rosa's deal. 2 years say The West. That takes him to 26, which is squarely in the nether-world of AFL ages, and definitely too old to still have potential.

I think in more normal times (that is to say, non-expansion-weirdy-drafts) Rosa would have a little more viability in the market. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't garner much interest - though that's not necessarily his fault.

Joel Selwood just signed a 2 year deal....

Joel Selwood just signed a 2 year deal....

Call me crazy, but I reckon J. Selwood might just have a bit more value in the marketplace than M. Rosa.

And I think - much as I detest Selwood and consider him (with Swan) the most overrated of players - one can assume he's realised his potential. I don't think you can level that at Rosa.

Maybe Rosa needs to duck his head / chuck it back theatrically more? Or get a shit tatt down his arm? Perhaps this is what we're doing wrong...

Anyways, my real point was that the market is pretty dysfunctional at the minute, and Rosa is the sort player who would suffer from that a bit.

Call me crazy, but I reckon J. Selwood might just have a bit more value in the marketplace than M. Rosa.

And I think - much as I detest Selwood and consider him (with Swan) the most overrated of players - one can assume he's realised his potential. I don't think you can level that at Rosa.

Maybe Rosa needs to duck his head / chuck it back theatrically more? Or get a shit tatt down his arm? Perhaps this is what we're doing wrong...

Anyways, my real point was that the market is pretty dysfunctional at the minute, and Rosa is the sort player who would suffer from that a bit.

I don't disagree with any of that - but assuming it's a 2 year deal? I don't see the issue.

He's not a star - so no need to sign him up to a 4 year deal.

We sign him up for 2 years - if he improves great - we have someone with maturity on our list who will have better trade value or be a part of our team.

Or after 2 years he is no longer best 22 and we de-list him.

Plenty of mid-tier blokes sign 2 year deals - you try and lock away your stars on longer deal, not the middle-tier blokes.

Not an extension?

Semantics - was contracted to end of 2010 - now signed up to end of 2012.

It's not like he was signed to 2011 and extended to 2013

Rosa's signing is similar to Mundy who signed a 2 year deal in 2008 - similar age, experience and output at the same stage. Mundy perhaps a little ahead from his initial work on a back flank

I don't disagree with any of that - but assuming it's a 2 year deal? I don't see the issue.

He's not a star - so no need to sign him up to a 4 year deal.

We sign him up for 2 years - if he improves great - we have someone with maturity on our list who will have better trade value or be a part of our team.

Or after 2 years he is no longer best 22 and we de-list him.

Plenty of mid-tier blokes sign 2 year deals - you try and lock away your stars on longer deal, not the middle-tier blokes.

Fair enough all round. The other factor is that - and correct me if I'm wrong - but doesn't free agency kick in around 2012 or so? Wouldn't be surprised if we see a lotta contracts finish before that starts.

Semantics - was contracted to end of 2010 - now signed up to end of 2012.

It's not like he was signed to 2011 and extended to 2013

Not semantics at all, Geelong went to Selwood while he was still contracted to extend his tenure at the club.

They wanted him secured before he became uncontracted. Rosa was offered peanuts at the end of the year.

Also, in regards to Selwood only signing for 2 years, you dont think his management had cottoned onto the fact that Yablett was on his way and whilst wanting to show his loyalty he and his management knew he would soon be the marquee player?

Please dont bring Mundy into this either, he's a gun. A required player who will most likely finish his days as a Freo player.

His left foot shits on Rosa's right :thumbsu:

Not semantics at all, Geelong went to Selwood while he was still contracted to extend his tenure at the club.

They wanted him secured before he became uncontracted. Rosa was offered peanuts at the end of the year.

Also, in regards to Selwood only signing for 2 years, you dont think his management had cottoned onto the fact that Yablett was on his way and whilst wanting to show his loyalty he and his management knew he would soon be the marquee player?

Please dont bring Mundy into this either, he's a gun. A required player who will most likely finish his days as a Freo player.

These shitting foots would be a sight for sore eyes. Still I think Rosa has a long way to go reach Rhys Palmers heights of football kicking.

Traffic Report : There seems to be alot of helicopters hovering around Fremantle Oval Jim, Most of them being linked to a man wearing a jumper with the number 10 in black text. Police advise local residents to duck for cover especially when surrounded by white lining as the helicopters do have a tendency to float over them

Same bloke Freo supporters were calling a heartless/soft squib in 2008 before his contract was renewed?

Gun player now, wasn't in 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

News Rosa Re-Signs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back