Toast Ross Lyon returns to St.Kilda #UnfinishedBusiness

Happy?

• Yes

Votes: 225 86.2%
  • No

Votes: 36 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So it sounds like we have 3 heads of going forward.

Lyon - Senior coach.

Walsh - GM of football

Mission - (no title mentioned) but it reads as if high performance and medical will report into him and then he comes to the table with Walsh and Lyon.

“His ability to maximise the physical potential of an athlete and contribute to overall high performance goals of an organisation is unmatched, and we are excited to have someone of his calibre in our program.

David will work across all areas of our program, particularly with Head of Performance and Conditioning Nick Walsh, and the physio and medical staff.

So it sounds like we have 3 heads of going forward.

Lyon - Senior coach.

Walsh - GM of football

Mission - (no title mentioned) but it reads as if high performance and medical will report into him and then he comes to the table with Walsh and Lyon.

“His ability to maximise the physical potential of an athlete and contribute to overall high performance goals of an organisation is unmatched, and we are excited to have someone of his calibre in our program.

David will work across all areas of our program, particularly with Head of Performance and Conditioning Nick Walsh, and the physio and medical staff.
you'd have to think we're going way over the soft cap

You're confused about my concerns.

My principal concern is people saying that now we've made these changes, it doesn't matter whether we go backwards or forwards. That's rubbish.

We've made all these changes for a reason and the only reason is to get better. And I have zero interest in being able to make some fanciful claim at the end of next year that we "look" a better side under Lyon if we finish 12th with a 8/14 win loss record.

The Board has determined where the faults were (coaching and football dept), they have (according to what they saw) now rectified those issues.

The results from the past two years clearly show the list is capable so not only do I want better results, I expect them.

I'd be disappointed to miss finals unless we have a heap of injuries but don't think it's a write off if we don't, both St Kilda and Freo took a season to learn his systems last time.

BJ is only coming to us cause nobody else will give him a job

Untrue, sportsbet was circling.

Luke Ball’s early years gee he was incredibly quick. We had Clark, Ball & Dal as highly skilled linebreakers. Then injuries…

Hard agree with X, had skill out the wazoo but was my kindred spirit in that the body just could not keep up. I get to joke with friends about being first in line for the handy skynet skeletal reconstructions, whereas he got shifted to Brissie then turfed.

That grouping was really first time I believed we could after '97, then of course the lack of us being a club worth a damn curtailed it to prelims and people the shadow of themselves.

This!!!!

The great man has returned.

#UnfinishedBusiness

#BJGoddard

I hadn’t heard that footage before. Enough to break your heart. I remember being there and not even moving as he jumped and marked. Shock. For all of that up to that point I was probably just proud that they were having a crack and getting back into the game. Then all of a sudden it was “we’re going to win” and I couldn’t move. Then that %+%%*% goal against the grain.

I'm actually really excited with the BJ appointment. Always loved him as a player and replaced Andrew Thompson's number with BJ's in his second year.

He brings passion and knowing what it takes to be successful (to a point in Saints Sides 09 and 10) as well as how to handle adversity from Essendon days. That type of experience is invaluable in a leader.

He brings a massive point of difference and from where he was in the first couple of years post draft to where he lifted himself is huge. King, Clarke, Coff and the young 'uns will benefit greatly.

Often got to where he was through pure determination IMO.

The fact that Ross is surrounding himself with not just talent but people who have more invested in the club than just $ is not to be understated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hadn’t heard that footage before. Enough to break your heart. I remember being there and not even moving as he jumped and marked. Shock. For all of that up to that point I was probably just proud that they were having a crack and getting back into the game. Then all of a sudden it was “we’re going to win” and I couldn’t move. Then that %+%%*% goal against the grain.

Makes me legit depressed. I’m an 09/10’ nuffie as I was young and really getting into Saints footy during that time period. Thought that was it - would have gone down as one of the best moments in the history of the game if got up. Ah well
If you want to break your heart again…

Watch the last 5 minutes on YouTube.

The kick from fisher that maxwell kills and results in the pies goal.

Look who is free by 100m all on his own in the centre.

Fisher looks and goes against kicking to him 😢

Kosi…

Well, if Roo returns in some capacity I think the official theme is definitely "Unfinished Business".
If nothing else, the club has drummed up a heap of bandwidth during the off season. Potential record breaking membership year ahead?
Must say, I was completely done with the Saints and footy in general last few years. These appointments have absolutely made me sit up and think..."why the fk not us?"
Are they all good choices and will we see the promised land? History says no, but I'm more invested in the this journey than I have been the last 2 years.
Bravo Saints.

....just imagine if we won a premiership with this crew at the helm...

AFL news: Brendon Goddard joins Robert Harvey as part of Ross Lyon’s new St Kilda coaching staff​

Moorabbin’s next wave of youngsters will come via the finishing school of one of St Kilda’s modern-day greats after another astute signing to the Ross Lyon team.

Sam Landsberger Sam Landsberger
Follow

@samlandsberger

4 min read
November 4, 2022 - 6:51PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

18 comments

30:44
Replay: St Kilda coaching announcement

Watch the replay of the St Kilda coaching announcement at the press conference today.

St Kilda

Don't miss out on the headlines from St Kilda. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
St Kilda’s most promising players will be schooled by Brendon Goddard next season after the Saints granted their club great the crack at AFL coaching he has been chasing.
Goddard has locked away the final place on new senior coach Ross Lyon’s panel, signing as a development coach to work with the club’s first-to-fourth-year players.
It means the likes of Marcus Windhager, Mitch Owens, Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera and the players taken in this month’s national draft will work closely with the 2002 No. 1 draft pick.
Goddard, 37, told the Herald Sun last month he had spent the past 12 months hoping for a chance on an AFL coaching panel and the passionate leader will get that as part of the Moorabbin reunion in 2023.
Brendon Goddard (centre) and Lenny Hayes will be part of the Ross Lyon team to turn around St Kilda’s fortunes.

Brendon Goddard (centre) and Lenny Hayes will be part of the Ross Lyon team to turn around St Kilda’s fortunes.
The Herald Sun then revealed after Harvey was signed that the Saints still had one vacancy, as a development coach, which Goddard was likely to win.
The Saints — celebrating their 150th anniversary in 2023 — will be led by Lyon, new midfield coach Lenny Hayes, new assistant coach Robert Harvey and new development coach Goddard, while Nick Dal Santo is their AFLW coach.
They are also expected to secure high performance boss David Misson, who has been working with NRL club Sydney Roosters.
Brendon Goddard takes a spectacular grab alonside Lenny Hayes in the 2010 decider.

Brendon Goddard takes a spectacular grab alonside Lenny Hayes in the 2010 decider.
Misson, too, was part of the old Lyon era. Misson was at Sydney when Lyon was assistant coach and they linked up at Moorabbin in 2008.
The bevy of new — or old — signings is set to place significant pressure on St Kilda‘s soft cap next season, particularly given it must also pay out six months of sacked coach Brett Ratten’s contract.

Geoff Walsh has also come on-board as the club's new football boss, officially starting in his post this week.
The football department rejig could impact the job descriptions and seniority of football program boss David Rath and list boss James Gallagher.
Brendon Goddard will work with the club’s first-to-fourth-year players.

Lyon’s bold move to land Saints draft bonanza

St Kilda wants to strike a trade to improve its hand at next month's national draft so it can bring in three or four quality teenagers to learn from new coaches Ross Lyon, Lenny Hayes and Robert Harvey.
The Saints continued their time warp on Tuesday when Lyon brought dual Brownlow Medallist Harvey back to the club as an assistant coach for the second time.
Lyon has told club bosses he was happy the Saints kept picks No. 9, 28 and 32 in the draft and now they are hoping to speak to rivals about executing a swap of picks to move further up the order.
Sydney holds picks 14 and 17 and — like the Saints — had been hoping to move into the top six selections.
Ross Lyon and Robert Harvey speak at a St Kilda training session.

But that looks unlikely given clubs with early selections are holding them tightly.
The Swans are looking at the 2022-2023 drafts as one block and, without access to a top-six pick this year, they could be open to giving up either No. 14 or 17 for a future pick.
The Saints would love to secure either a bonus early pick this year or to move No. 28 or 32 further up the order.
They offered No. 9 and Hunter Clark to North Melbourne for No. 3, but that was rejected by the Roos.
Clubs are free to swap picks until November 15 and then again live at the draft.
The Saints were thrilled with the energy generated from last year's draft haul of Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, Mitch Owens and Marcus Windhager.
Windhager, in particular, caught the eye as a tagger who should evolve into a powerful midfielder.
Lyon has taken a “blank canvas” approach to the Saints and reckons a couple of good drafts could turn them around quickly.
But Lyon also believes that with all clubs operating under the same salary cap and soft cap it is more important to get the framework right to maximise results.
Ross Lyon was unveiled as Saints coach for the second time on Monday. Picture: Michael Klein.

Ross Lyon was unveiled as Saints coach for the second time on Monday. Picture: Michael Klein.
He held talks with veteran recruiter Tony Elshaug, former goalsneak and GWS assistant Adam Schneider and footy legend Leigh Matthews in recent weeks about his possible return to senior coaching.
Harvey has replaced Brendon Lade (Western Bulldogs) as a line coach and the Saints are understood to still searching for one more development coach to join Damian Carroll and Jake Batchelor (VFL).
Former Saint Brendon Goddard is eager to get back into football and is likely to be considered by Lyon, depending on the restraints in the soft cap.
Goddard has spent the past 12 months asking questions of clubs and would be open to a coaching role at any club.
Securing Goddard along with Lyon, Harvey and Hayes — and with Nick Dal Santo coaching the AFLW team — would complete St Kilda’s throwback to the 2007-2011 era.
“While we understand for Saints fans the idea of Rob and Lenny back together is extremely nostalgic, it should also be very exciting given their coaching expertise,” Saints boss Simon Lethlean said.
The Saints have to payout six months of sacked coach Brett Ratten’s contract, which will be counted in the cap.
Lyon brought Harvey back to the Saints in 2011 as midfield coach. Harvey then applied for the senior job when Lyon defected to Fremantle after that season.
But when the Saints chose Scott Watters instead, Harvey left for Collingwood. He served as caretaker coach for nine games (2-7) when Nathan Buckley was sacked last year.

More Coverage​

Stingy Saints? Revealing hint of Ross’s new game planThe 10 words from Lyon that put Saints players on noticeRobbo: Lyon 3.0 makes the Saints relevant again
Harvey joined Hawthorn as midfield coach in 2022 but he had flagged his possible return to St Kilda with Hawks bosses in recent days.
It means the 51-year-old will coach at a third AFL club in as many years in 2023.

AFL news: Brendon Goddard joins Robert Harvey as part of Ross Lyon’s new St Kilda coaching staff​

Moorabbin’s next wave of youngsters will come via the finishing school of one of St Kilda’s modern-day greats after another astute signing to the Ross Lyon team.

Follow
@samlandsberger

4 min read
18 comments

Watch the replay of the St Kilda coaching announcement at the press conference today.

St Kilda

Don't miss out on the headlines from St Kilda. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
St Kilda’s most promising players will be schooled by Brendon Goddard next season after the Saints granted their club great the crack at AFL coaching he has been chasing.
Goddard has locked away the final place on new senior coach Ross Lyon’s panel, signing as a development coach to work with the club’s first-to-fourth-year players.
It means the likes of Marcus Windhager, Mitch Owens, Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera and the players taken in this month’s national draft will work closely with the 2002 No. 1 draft pick.
Goddard, 37, told the Herald Sun last month he had spent the past 12 months hoping for a chance on an AFL coaching panel and the passionate leader will get that as part of the Moorabbin reunion in 2023.

The Herald Sun then revealed after Harvey was signed that the Saints still had one vacancy, as a development coach, which Goddard was likely to win.
The Saints — celebrating their 150th anniversary in 2023 — will be led by Lyon, new midfield coach Lenny Hayes, new assistant coach Robert Harvey and new development coach Goddard, while Nick Dal Santo is their AFLW coach.
They are also expected to secure high performance boss David Misson, who has been working with NRL club Sydney Roosters.

Misson, too, was part of the old Lyon era. Misson was at Sydney when Lyon was assistant coach and they linked up at Moorabbin in 2008.
The bevy of new — or old — signings is set to place significant pressure on St Kilda‘s soft cap next season, particularly given it must also pay out six months of sacked coach Brett Ratten’s contract.

Geoff Walsh has also come on-board as the club's new football boss, officially starting in his post this week.
The football department rejig could impact the job descriptions and seniority of football program boss David Rath and list boss James Gallagher.

St Kilda wants to strike a trade to improve its hand at next month's national draft so it can bring in three or four quality teenagers to learn from new coaches Ross Lyon, Lenny Hayes and Robert Harvey.
The Saints continued their time warp on Tuesday when Lyon brought dual Brownlow Medallist Harvey back to the club as an assistant coach for the second time.
Lyon has told club bosses he was happy the Saints kept picks No. 9, 28 and 32 in the draft and now they are hoping to speak to rivals about executing a swap of picks to move further up the order.
Sydney holds picks 14 and 17 and — like the Saints — had been hoping to move into the top six selections.

But that looks unlikely given clubs with early selections are holding them tightly.
The Swans are looking at the 2022-2023 drafts as one block and, without access to a top-six pick this year, they could be open to giving up either No. 14 or 17 for a future pick.
The Saints would love to secure either a bonus early pick this year or to move No. 28 or 32 further up the order.
They offered No. 9 and Hunter Clark to North Melbourne for No. 3, but that was rejected by the Roos.
Clubs are free to swap picks until November 15 and then again live at the draft.
The Saints were thrilled with the energy generated from last year's draft haul of Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, Mitch Owens and Marcus Windhager.
Windhager, in particular, caught the eye as a tagger who should evolve into a powerful midfielder.
Lyon has taken a “blank canvas” approach to the Saints and reckons a couple of good drafts could turn them around quickly.
But Lyon also believes that with all clubs operating under the same salary cap and soft cap it is more important to get the framework right to maximise results.

He held talks with veteran recruiter Tony Elshaug, former goalsneak and GWS assistant Adam Schneider and footy legend Leigh Matthews in recent weeks about his possible return to senior coaching.
Harvey has replaced Brendon Lade (Western Bulldogs) as a line coach and the Saints are understood to still searching for one more development coach to join Damian Carroll and Jake Batchelor (VFL).
Former Saint Brendon Goddard is eager to get back into football and is likely to be considered by Lyon, depending on the restraints in the soft cap.
Goddard has spent the past 12 months asking questions of clubs and would be open to a coaching role at any club.
Securing Goddard along with Lyon, Harvey and Hayes — and with Nick Dal Santo coaching the AFLW team — would complete St Kilda’s throwback to the 2007-2011 era.
“While we understand for Saints fans the idea of Rob and Lenny back together is extremely nostalgic, it should also be very exciting given their coaching expertise,” Saints boss Simon Lethlean said.
The Saints have to payout six months of sacked coach Brett Ratten’s contract, which will be counted in the cap.
Lyon brought Harvey back to the Saints in 2011 as midfield coach. Harvey then applied for the senior job when Lyon defected to Fremantle after that season.
But when the Saints chose Scott Watters instead, Harvey left for Collingwood. He served as caretaker coach for nine games (2-7) when Nathan Buckley was sacked last year.

More Coverage​

Stingy Saints? Revealing hint of Ross’s new game planThe 10 words from Lyon that put Saints players on noticeRobbo: Lyon 3.0 makes the Saints relevant again
Harvey joined Hawthorn as midfield coach in 2022 but he had flagged his possible return to St Kilda with Hawks bosses in recent days.
It means the 51-year-old will coach at a third AFL club in as many years in 2023.
29A04A09-6242-4A2E-B58B-81633F962805.jpeg

Follow
@samlandsberger

4 min read
18 comments

St Kilda

Follow

More Coverage​

I Love You Chut GIF

You said Finals or it is a failure. We won 11 games this year and didn't make the finals, so according to your criteria a failure. then you carried on with 6 to 8 games.
We have won 12 games in a 23 game season and still not made the finals.

IMO any year not making finals is a failure, the point is that Ross Lyon would get a bit of a free pass in 2023 if that occured. Also i fully expect to make finals. A good list, a better coach, and a fair draw will go a long way to getting us to the finals.
So you're saying you expect to make the finals (for pretty much the same reasons as I have pointed out) but you won't consider it a failure if we don't.

If that's how you feel that's fine, but given the extent of the changes, I expect finals and will consider it a failure if we don't.

Hopefully Andrew Bassat see's it my way as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Ross Lyon returns to St.Kilda #UnfinishedBusiness

Back