List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If Ross phase out sutty,sherriden , ibbo,spurr,Griffin for good and manage Sandi and MJ I don't care how freo lost I more than happy for him to do the rebuild . Look deeper into the list rather the same old two out and two in policy .
(D.pearce,ibbo,sutty,sherriden the older players recycling)
( Tucker and Ethan Hughes the younger players recycling)

Sandi and Griffin recycling.

Essendon have a good list, I thought it would be next season they would make a serious move up the ladder though.
Is not just about the list but opportunity also, if those ban players play last year I doubt fantasia ( third or 4 Rd pick) and tipungwundi (rookie list) will play as many game last season .

Essendon have a good list, I thought it would be next season they would make a serious move up the ladder though.
They also have something to prove. Don't underestimate the power of the 'backs against the wall' mentality. Would have thought that would've kicked in for us by now though.

It's fair enough if people put forward arguments for why they don't think Lyon is the man for us going forward - I'd be lying if I said I was 100% convinced myself.

But cheap insults like Ro$$ Lyin from our own supporters who no doubt had the time of their lives in 2013 shows a lack of class and respect for everything he's done for our club. How quickly we forget the joke we were before he finally turned us into a professional AFL club.

Calm your jets I was just fixing freo1997 spelling mistake.
For a laugh, what looks better ross ly$n or Ro$$ Lyin.

I feel the same about Ross but I have resigned myself to the fact that he is going to be here for a few years.
So I am going to strap myself in and watch this space.:sunglasses:

Why is it after every loss everyone gets hysterical and wants to sack the coach.

I would wait to see where we are at the end of next year before judging Ross on this rebuild. As it will give a better indication of the progress of the team.

I will admit though he does though need to make some tougher decisions on the team selection with certain players.

Why is it after every loss everyone gets hysterical and wants to sack the coach.

I would wait to see where we are at the end of next year before judging Ross on this rebuild. As it will give a better indication of the progress of the team.

I will admit though he does though need to make some tougher decisions on the team selection with certain players.
I agree , it might be a good result after all if Brisbane match is the end of sutty , Sheridan and Griffin for good .

He dismisses opinions too easily. He has never won a flag, so i can't see how he can be so high and mighty.
Putting Darcy in, instead of the dinosaur would have been worth it imo. It couldn't have been much worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He dismisses opinions too easily. He has never won a flag, so i can't see how he can be so high and mighty.
Putting Darcy in, instead of the dinosaur would have been worth it imo. It couldn't have been much worse.

Haha so your opinion is he needs to sit and listen to all the couch potatoes and journalists around the land because he hasn't won a flag?

I was very surprised when at his after game presser V Lions he highlighted Luke Ryan's ability to kick the ball and that 'we need people in the side who can kick the ball" Well he's been here since Nov 2011. Why haven't been we drafting player who can kick the ball!!

the concern is that his mantra of effort over skills ie can excuse skill errors if effort is there doesn't hold anymore as Hawks have shown 2013-2015 with kicking skills and Wbulldogs with handball skills and fast transition and also foot skills.

Last couple of yrs I think we have drafted a couple of decent kicks ie 2015 tucker, balic, yarran(pity about him) and 2016 ryan Logue, cox darcy

Because a lot of footy fans are morons, they want to do the same thing with Adam Simpson on their board after any loss.

I think culturally Australians traditionally love to blindly pin it mostly all on the coach compared to Yank sports fans who seem to be more forgiving. Which is funny because the coaches is basketball and especially gridiron have a lot more influence on a team on gameday.

Its not so much about getting hysterical after a loss but often a case of having those losses reinforce a previously held opinion.

Frankly, I am not convinced he's the man for the job. He has flaws that prevent him from being the coach to take this team to the top and those flaws are on display week after week. No, he's not a complete incompetent like some coaches but he doesn't have what is needed to be better than all his peers.

People talk about his loyalty to the players. I fundamentally disagree with that assessment. He has favourites and there are others. Look at his time at St Kilda and the way he treated some players not on his favourites list. His treatment of Ball was poor. His publicly retiring several players after a GF loss without even talking to them first. Fisher, for one, hasn't forgotten that.

He often goes on, when referring to the new players who haven't been tried, about having to 'earn your way in', yet he constantly picks players who cannot be justified on merit. I'm looking at Sutcliffe, Pearce D, Spurr, even Griffin (and I was always a big fan of him). None of these players represents any kind of a future for Freo but they keep getting chosen, dropped and recycled where others have never had that level of opportunity even when they've shown more.

He is not going to re-invent this team unless he can fundamentally re-invent himself. It is an unarguable fact that the game has changed. The AFL intentionally set out to change it and this team simply has not adjusted to those changes. Unless he can change the way he does things, come up with a game plan that works under today's conditions and bring "every" player on board then we will continue as we are, some time a little up, sometimes a little down and sometimes pretty darn crap.

I don't see where he has ever demonstrated the capacity to do that.

Rather than doing another 'internal' review, the club should have embarked on an 'external' review and I think had they done that, we would have gone in a different direction.

I'm not seeing all of the posts but what I do see are posters pointing out Ross's flaws of which you've highlighted one yourself. I'm not seeing any sack the coach calls, that would be ridiculous at this point. It'd cost too much for starters.

Has he actually applied for any of the recent jobs? I'd have no idea. Was doing a better job at Carlton than Malthouse.

That wouldn't have been hard though. Malthouse was a train wreck towards the end. I do agree that Ratten is still relevant as a senior coach candidate. His time at Hawthorn will have developed him further from his experience at Carlton. Of the ex- senior coaches that are still coaching he would be the best with Lade and Barker the best of the newbies IMO.

Because a lot of footy fans are morons, they want to do the same thing with Adam Simpson on their board after any loss.

I think culturally Australians traditionally love to blindly pin it mostly all on the coach compared to Yank sports fans who seem to be more forgiving. Which is funny because the coaches is basketball and especially gridiron have a lot more influence on a team on gameday.

Contrary to popular belief, i think it's because of the love one has for their club and they feel that anything that stands between the club and success needs to be removed. Blind love leaves you open to turn into Richmond or Melbourne!

But the moron tag sure does suit a few...

That's the other thing we do in Australia, almost no one ever gets another chance after losing a job (barring Eade recently), it's just straight to picking one of the next 35-45 year olds off the assistant production line.

It's a pretty tight industry. Coaches put a lot of time and resources studying their opposition. If a coach isn't cutting the mustard, the word would get around pretty quickly.

Contrary to popular belief, i think it's because of the love one has for their club and they feel that anything that stands between the club and success needs to be removed. Blind love leaves you open to turn into Richmond or Melbourne!

But the moron tag sure does suit a few...
A bit different as Clarkson had actually achieved ultimate success already in 08 but Clay Davis once pwned a couple of smart arse Hawks supporters by digging up a their posts wanting to sack him back in 2012.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Back