List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We've played a fair bit of our list now this season. Only a handful of younguns and long term injured (and unfortunately a few that fall in both camps) yet to have a crack.

The cupboard's bare. Our recruiting, and development of same, has been terrible the past 5/6 years.
Exactly. ..people banging on about ross and co still playing the 'old favs/foot soldiers etc but the fact is the cupboard is virtually bare...I mean whos left?, apart from the injured,....d pearce/suban/dawson ?..yuk...only really deluca (just back from injury) and our other rookie listed players....we are just about running on empty

Agree wholeheartedly on the need for decent assistant/developmental coach(along with lloyd I also think kirk was a big loss, a number of current players speak of his influence).Their replacements have proven their not up to it so far (I rate hale tho)
I mean people go on about Clarkson but its proven hes had some pretty decent lieutenants (and yes he deserves credit for helping develop them) but alot of them wouldn't be where they are if they weren't decent coaches in their own right.i think its an underated point in hawfs demise this season.

Hales the only decent assistant we've got atm and that's saying something as he's still learning.

How's our high performance director of coaching going? Is he having an impact? Thought he would've faced the media by now. Maybe he has, I wouldn't know what he looked like.

Agree wholeheartedly on the need for decent assistant/developmental coach(along with lloyd I also think kirk was a big loss, a number of current players speak of his influence).Their replacements have proven their not up to it so far (I rate hale tho)
I mean people go on about Clarkson but its proven hes had some pretty decent lieutenants (and yes he deserves credit for helping develop them) but alot of them wouldn't be where they are if they weren't decent coaches in their own right.i think its an underated point in hawfs demise this season.

Exactly, kirk and Lloyd big losses, Eastaugh as midfield ruck coach has not worked, watching our midfield.

Last year he was saying only 3 years.

Players like MJ, Spurr, DP need to be moved on. I watched MJ jog back into the back line while Brisbane players sprinted passed him. No intensity at all.

So he thinks privately that we can rise again in 3 years but is publically saying 4 years

Stop the press. he will see out his contract and if we are still shithouse will be replaced.

Sure we came off 6 day break and Lions off a bye.

But Lyon game plan is also contributing to our problems. Slowly he has reverted back to the defensive shit, that doesn't cut it.

Also mentioned brett ratten.

Mate, you don't reckon our club haven't tried to get Ross some quality help? The highest profile we've been able to attract is Guerra of which Ross demoted after 1 season. Why would Ratten leave Clarkson who has developed a shitload of coaches to move to Perth to work for Ross? Think about it. We needed an assistant for the midfield to replace Kirk and the best we could get was Rock who was coaching a school team in the outer suburbs of Melb and is a mate of Ross's.

We also tried to get a high performance coach to help Ross develop. We got a rowing coach that as far as I know has had no success and is invisible at our club. Wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't with us any more.

Mate, you don't reckon our club haven't tried to get Ross some quality help? The highest profile we've been able to attract is Guerra of which Ross demoted after 1 season. Why would Ratten leave Clarkson who has developed a shitload of coaches to move to Perth to work for Ross? Think about it. We needed an assistant for the midfield to replace Kirk and the best we could get was Rock who was coaching a school team in the outer suburbs of Melb and is a mate of Ross's.

We also tried to get a high performance coach to help Ross develop. We got a rowing coach that as far as I know has had no success and is invisible at our club. Wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't with us any more.

Ratten might come if he knows he's in the box seat should Ross be shifted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im genuinely upset reading all of this. Thought we were a destination club...apparently not. Thought we had a great training facility and had some $$ too. Isn't that how we got ross ly$n in the first place?

While im dissapointed we havent replaced kirk and lloyd like for like (in terms of ability) ...I can somewhat understand the clubs plight...people talk about perf being a factor in not being able to attract players well I think its nearly twice as bad when it comes to assistant coaches, namely for 2 reasons...assistant coaches (generally) already have young established families(logistics if their from , in all likelihood east coast) and secondly and not given enough understanding from afl house(surprise , surprise) is the effect of the equalisation tax on a club like freo in regards to this issue
Eg if we are to attract a high profile assistant from over east then we have to offer substantially more than other clubs in melbs for the very reasons I mentioned in point 1.
this then in turns can have an (negative effect) on our footy department soft cap...as its (conveniently hits the middle to bigger clubs the hardest due to its structure (thanks again eddie, farkwit.)

Last edited:
Ratten and Voss are sacked coach's and useless . According to WC, Saints, Port, Melbourne, Gold coast BF boards their coach's are gone so why not choose one of those.:rolleyes:
Ratten is not useless at all. He is extremely highly rated by Hawthorn and Clarkson which means a lot more than being sacked by Carlton, whom were delusional about their list and it's potential IMO.

I like that Lyon didn't mince his words in the presser. He said it was embarrassing, its not what the club stand for and that everyone including him is embarrassed and has to wear it. He questioned everyone involved and said our mids got obliterated, which they did.
He made no excuses even when they were offered.

Its painful but unvoidable we have to have a look at everyone on the list and its not always going to gell. Guys like Nyhuis and DeLuca have to be looked at and Logue should play every game from here.
Its not going to be fun for the rest of the year but hopefully sometime between now and then we uncover a couple more.
Ideally:
Balic returns & signs another contract.
Bennell gets on the park.
Balla gets on the park.
Alex Pearce gets on the park.
Uber gets on the park and anyone else thats a chance.
We get a draft pick inside 4 which is looking pretty likely.
Fyfe re-signs sooner rather than later.
Delist as many as we can of the guys that just aren't good enough. We all have our opinions who they are.

I'm worried by the fact we couldn't sustain whatever it was powering the belief and effort before the last 3 rounds & that we've fallen so far off that pace. A lot of is no Sandi, Hill falling off a cliff, losing Balic and I think it was a mistake to take Logue out. Those 2 bring a lot of energy to the group.
Lyon isn't finished yet but he's really feeling his mortality as a coach. He won't shy away from the challenge you know that about him. Time will tell if he has the goods.

I am not sure he is the right person , but to get another coach now is a bit overboard . At least now he should rectifying that recycle player like ibbo, d.pearce, sutty , sherriden will not going to work , rushing star player half fit will also backfire.

It's fair enough if people put forward arguments for why they don't think Lyon is the man for us going forward - I'd be lying if I said I was 100% convinced myself.

But cheap insults like Ro$$ Lyin from our own supporters who no doubt had the time of their lives in 2013 shows a lack of class and respect for everything he's done for our club. How quickly we forget the joke we were before he finally turned us into a professional AFL club.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Back