List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

2 bad games? What have you been watching this year? Fair dinkum, some of you think this is all part of some master plan that Ross has put into action. I'm sick of getting hounded for not drinking the Ross Lyon coolaid. He's done a lot for our club in making us relevant but imo the games passed him by as a coach.

To clarify my point;

Two bad games and people carry on like pork chops about how Ross Lyon is done as a coach, it happened after round 1 & 2 as well. Yet when we win a few games in row we also have the other side where people start talking about challenging for top 4 spots. Both extreme view points are not a realistic reflection of where we are at.

Anyone who thinks that Ross is not the answer is not "drinking the cool-aid" but you hold a very different view point to me. I believe our administration has a clear plan with our coaching staff about our KPI's and the direction we are heading. If there was a better option for a coach out there I would be all for it but I don't believe there is and I also believe that Ross Lyon has earnt the right to rebuild our list.

If Lyon is serious about this rebuild, Darcy would be playing not Griffin.

Sutcliffe and Sheridan should not play football for this club again.

Just on Griffin, Sandilands and Clarke were both out injured, if Darcy was ready he would have been played. There is no point in playing him as our sole ruckman when he doesn't have the capability to do so.

I certainly don't get to Peel games or training but all accounts are that he is a fair way off being able to sole ruck. I think Griffin is well past it and should not be on our list but to say that Ross isn't serious because he won't throw an 18 year old to the wolves is a bit mischievous. We all saw what happened to Jack Watts when he was played before being physically capable.

Historically we tend to lose badly coming off 6 day breaks and travel.
Similarly the AFL historically reserve the longest road journeys for us coming off short breaks.

Well we have the bye next week then travel to Corio Bay

Not looking forward to that trip this year :$

What a load of bollocks, they are professional sportsmen who train everyday and only have to play 1 game per week

They have only played 12 games this year, I don't buy into this tired, worn out nonsense. If they are our fitness dept need to be sacked.
You need to factor the wet games and 6 day break and travel. If you believe that game was 100% commitment, then were really screwed. Im trying to see the glass half full.

Griffin is charcoal cooked but is Darcy ready? Haven't had a good look at him but hate throwing rucks in early as teenagers especially as the only one in a side.

What is the answer though m8, if he is going gangbusters in the WAFL what harm is it in giving him a run. Sandi will be back after the bye ( maybe )

Poor old Griff has been a solid contributor for the club, but yes he is cooked. Obviously the skill level and speed is different at AFL level but we can't keep playing Griff can we ?

People saying that Sean Darcy is not ready is kidding themselves , he is Eveready . If he is not move him to the forward line let tab do the majority of the ruck work . Don't see what gain playing Griffin at all , slow as snail in wafl also. Only good game is against Perth.

You need to factor the wet games and 6 day break and travel. If you believe that game was 100% commitment, then were really screwed. Im trying to see the glass half full.

Don't get me wrong I'm a glass half full guy too, but I simply don't see how a player can't recover in 6 days, especially considering the technology available nowdays

We travel every second week and I dont see why sitting on a plane can wear you out. These guys are finely tuned athletes who are monitored in the way they train, what they eat and drink. If they are tired then they shouldn't be picked.

Commitment isn't all about energy levels it can be a mental approach, and today it looked like when we got the first 5 goals kicked on us some of them just gave up with half arsed attempts. Except for Griff who seemed to try hard but is too slow.

Anyway lets hope we do some soul searching in the next 2 weeks as you are correct, that was nowhere near a 100% effort

Last edited:
People saying that Sean Darcy is not ready is kidding themselves , he is Eveready . If he is not move him to the forward line let tab do the majority of the ruck work . Don't see what gain playing Griffin at all , slow as snail in wafl also. Only good game is against Perth.

Tabs can't ruck. He won 2 hitouts in 40 minutes of rucking last week against a seriously shit ruck and you want him to be our first choice ruck?

And playing Darcy up forward the majority of the game will be as effective as playing Sandi up there i.e. useless. His opponent would run off him all day.

We either play Sandi or Darcy but not both and Tabs should only ever be considered as depth up forward and never as a ruck.

Tabs can't ruck. He won 2 hitouts in 40 minutes of rucking last week against a seriously shit ruck and you want him to be our first choice ruck?

And playing Darcy up forward the majority of the game will be as effective as playing Sandi up there i.e. useless. His opponent would run off him all day.

We either play Sandi or Darcy but not both and Tabs should only ever be considered as depth up forward and never as a ruck.
I just don't want to see Griff again , so embarrassing to see wafl players waltz pass him with ease.

I just don't want to see Griff again , so embarrassing to see wafl players waltz pass him with ease.

That's fine but to suggest Tabs is a better option is just insane.

Sandi will be back soon so you won't have to worry. Then again, Ross did say that he wouldn't mind trying Griff and Sandi in the one side again which is a massive worry!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's fine but to suggest Tabs is a better option is just insane.

Sandi will be back soon so you won't have to worry. Then again, Ross did say that he wouldn't mind trying Griff and Sandi in the one side again which is a massive worry!
I only suggested it because people said Sean Darcy don't had the stamina to last without giving him a game after playing 11 consecutive wafl match and score more goal than Griffin .

We have serious weaknesses on our list.
Players who are no longer at their best will be played as we transition the list.
We went close and missed,now we reload for another go.
Sean Darcy won't play in a grand final this year but he might play in one later.

Who, apart from Sheedy, has lead a team to multiple high finishes then successfully rebuilt and got there again with a new
group?

I'm not convinced Ross is the one to be managing this rebuild. At the very least, we need an assistant with strong development credentials. Someone like Brendan McCartney or even Mark Williams

Ffs. Cox comes in to play forward after playing back at Peel. Embarrassing.

Who, apart from Sheedy, has lead a team to multiple high finishes then successfully rebuilt and got there again with a new
group?

I'm not convinced Ross is the one to be managing this rebuild. At the very least, we need an assistant with strong development credentials. Someone like Brendan McCartney or even Mark Williams

I mentioned getting an assistant with high credentials and senior experience the other day...but i got shut down by the hierarchy on here.

Anyway i agree with u mate. Something in that coaches box needs to change.

group?

Worsfold won a flag, took them to a spoon and then back into finals.

Cox has been playing forward and back at Peel.

I agree that we need better development coaches. Lloyd was good and we lost him, so too was Prescott and Jason McCartney. No idea who are the better ones in the league atm (outside of these few) but I'd be looking at GWS, Essn, WB and perhaps Carlton and Rich who seem to be getting the best out of their youth.

I mentioned getting an assistant with high credentials and senior experience the other day...but i got shut down by the hierarchy on here.

Anyway i agree with u mate. Something in that coaches box needs to change.

You said "high profile experienced coach" and used Voss as an example. Nodgey said a high credentialed development coach. Very different. Voss would have trouble developing a cold.

Is it time for Ross to concentrate on developing and maintaining skills?

I have heard him talking before about it being up to the players to maintain their own skills, but I'm not sure that still works.

Worsfold won a flag, took them to a spoon and then back into finals.

Cox has been playing forward and back at Peel.

I agree that we need better development coaches. Lloyd was good and we lost him, so too was Prescott and Jason McCartney. No idea who are the better ones in the league atm (outside of these few) but I'd be looking at GWS, Essn, WB and perhaps Carlton and Rich who seem to be getting the best out of their youth.
The problem is not development coach but whether Ross play them or not . Geelong play the Irish guy that had little impact .

We've played a fair bit of our list now this season. Only a handful of younguns and long term injured (and unfortunately a few that fall in both camps) yet to have a crack.

The cupboard's bare. Our recruiting, and development of same, has been terrible the past 5/6 years.

group?

Agree wholeheartedly on the need for decent assistant/developmental coach(along with lloyd I also think kirk was a big loss, a number of current players speak of his influence).Their replacements have proven their not up to it so far (I rate hale tho)
I mean people go on about Clarkson but its proven hes had some pretty decent lieutenants (and yes he deserves credit for helping develop them) but alot of them wouldn't be where they are if they weren't decent coaches in their own right.i think its an underated point in hawfs demise this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Back