List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We weren't a finals threat in the 2nd half of 2015 with the most experienced team in the league. We only won 1 game vs a top 8 side after the bye that year and only scored 100 points once in 11 attempts.

Nothing has changed since then to suggest we've addressed those issues, and what's more it doesn't even look like we're trying to address them.

Yes but the rebuild started before this season. Regardless it will take time considering there's 18 teams in the comp and the draft can be a lottery at the best at times.

I'd rather keep Ross than sack him. Who is a realistic chance of coaching Freo who is clearly a better coach?

Agree, we won't make finals until Suban, Ballas, D Pearce, Griffin, Yarran, Ibbotson, Dawson, Clarke, Sutcliffe are all off our list, plus players like Spurr is pushed to a bench option.

When you add players like Sandi, Mundy and Johnson we suddenly have 12 players to remove for no compo before you even start to consider players like Apeness, Sheridan, Taberner who all may not make it, or Tucker, Balic, Langdon, Crozier who may leave.

As soon as we get any injuries the quality of our list falls in a heap, in 2019 our list should be in reasonable shape if we nail the next two drafts.

Bond and Lloyd will earn their money the next 2 years.
Suck is pretty sad post, but hard not to agree .

Last edited:

Yes but the rebuild started before this season. Regardless it will take time considering there's 18 teams in the comp and the draft can be a lottery at the best at times.

I'd rather keep Ross than sack him. Who is a realistic chance of coaching Freo who is clearly a better coach?

I don't think we should sack him. But we should come up with a new game plan. And if Ross Lyon refuses to change his game plan then he can implement it elsewhere.

It's totally obvious that the game plan has not changed a great deal since 2015 and it's also painfully obvious that it no longer works. Every week we play the old game plan just pushes our rebuild back another week. We'll never be a good team until we get rid of it.

Agree, we won't make finals until Suban, Ballas, D Pearce, Griffin, Yarran, Ibbotson, Dawson, Clarke, Sutcliffe are all off our list, plus players like Spurr is pushed to a bench option.

When you add players like Sandi, Mundy and Johnson we suddenly have 12 players to remove for no compo before you even start to consider players like Apeness, Sheridan, Taberner who all may not make it, or Tucker, Balic, Langdon, Crozier who may leave.

As soon as we get any injuries the quality of our list falls in a heap, in 2019 our list should be in reasonable shape if we nail the next two drafts.

Bond and Lloyd will earn their money the next 2 years.

Yes exactly and it was always going to be a 3 or 4 part plan. You can't move everyone on straight away and you can see the progression.

Just see how hard our recruiters worked last draft trade season. It needs to be sustained but it was a positive start.

1st year of a rebuild

Freo bottomed out last season and this was the start of cleaning out the list and moving forward and it's all negatives from a few and sack the coach.

Replace with who? Some posters are clueless
Hawthorn are rebuilding/regenerating too. But hey they pumped us.

If you wanna take a chill pill, listen to Luke McPharlin.

"If you are coaching against Fremantle, you drop numbers behind the ball, right now the players can't pick apart a flood. Ross Lyon has to educate this young group to pick through it. We moved through it with ease when we were a top 4 team, these young players just don't know what to do with confronted it. Ross knows exactly how to beat the flood, just needs to get the players executing."

Or something to that effect.

This overreaction to tonights game is actually amusing. So no one watched last weeks game or does everyone believe in 7 day miracles?

I watched last weeks game then watched us make exactly the same mistakes in this weeks game. It's as if our match committee learned nothing. And that's melt-worthy because it doesn't matter how good our kids are if the match committee doesn't know what they are doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched last weeks game then watched us make exactly the same mistakes in this weeks game. It's as if our match committee learned nothing. And that's melt-worthy because it doesn't matter how good our kids are if the match committee doesn't know what they are doing.

So you believe that side last week could honestly do a complete 180 and beat a team that's been playing solid football for the past month? Our skills - predominantly in the last 2 weeks have been shocking. There's no short term fix for that.

Or maybe our inexperience is hurting us

The Hawks played Freo perfectly and when the young inexperienced players learn how to counteract to opposition game plans then Freo will move forward

So you believe that side last week could honestly do a complete 180 and beat a team that's been playing solid football for the past month? Our skills - predominantly in the last 2 weeks have been shocking. There's no short term fix for that.

It's not the team that needs to do a 180.

It's the coaches.

Our game plan hasn't worked for years and still isn't working now. Today's scoreline was entirely predicatable and at no stage did we try to change anything to prevent it.

We have an unhealthy % of naysayers who disrespect the club on all levels;recruitement, fitness, medical, rehab,game plan,player development,player effort.According to this mob our appointments and practise have turned the club into a wages machine for shitheads. Given the place is so dysfunctionally toxic from top to bottlom, how come our player retention is even a thing??
Are they doing it only for the money??
Some players out there tonight won't reach AFL standard or their best for a year.

I have said it before no point judging Ross till the end of next year i think. Tucker, weller and co need another 12 months.

I am concerned a little bit as if we are still producing the rubbish we produce tonight in 12 months time reguarly. Then i think the club should really look into the options outside of ross. But for the moment i think Ross is under no pressure despite the poor performances

I have said it before no point judging Ross till the end of next year i think. Tucker, weller and co need another 12 months.

He's had 6 years to come up with a better game plan and hasn't.

We've already seen how well this game plan goes an experienced side in the 2nd half of 2015 - awfully.

Right now I'm feeling uncomfortable with what is unfolding on the field at the moment.

I wasn't one of those who jumped up and down with excitement when he took over and when expressing an alternative view, got hounded by every man and his dog.

It took me till after the 2012 EF to swallow my pride and admit I went too hard, too early and for quite some time, I was glad to be wrong; so, so glad.

Now though, I'm looking back in hindsight and I can't help wondering whether in the long run, all my fears from that time are coming true. I'm starting to wonder if I was actually right; even if my fears took 5-6 years to come true. I am taking no joy from this either and actually feel quite horrified at the thought.

We have been rebuilding since Round 6, 2016 and you know what, Lyon had a rare opportunity to experiment. Injuries didn't help but 2016 was the definition of insanity; doing the same thing, playing the same way and expecting a different result. It was a wasted season.

This season, there have been some small tweaks but not enough to show me that we're progressing....we're still horribly low scoring, we still can't move the ball cleanly into the forward 50 and we struggle to clear the ball cleanly from defensive 50.

I'm beginning to feel the game has moved past Ross and what's even worse, if we keep down this path, I'm horrified where it might lead.

We need a circuit breaker, plain and simple and I don't believe Ross is the answer.

There are a couple of names I'll throw up

Stuart Dew - Level 4 coach who has learned a hell of a lot from Longmire but I wonder if there's some sort of succession plan there.

Brett Ratten - Unfairly sacked from Carlton and has spent a few years under Clarkson.

They would be my 2 choices.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Back