List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's incredible to think that Lyon still has 3 years on his contract after this year, great work on his behalf. He really played the Freo board for chumps by getting that sort of deal...

He won't be going anywhere for at least another year.

It's a development year. It always was. I thought some of the young players did well today eg Darcy and Logue, and Kersten stood up to a degree. Fyfe showed he is getting closer to Fyfe as we know it.
Losing Walters sucked.

There are some people on this forum who purport to be Fremantle supporters, but I'm not buying it.

It's a development year. It always was. I thought some of the young players did well today eg Darcy and Logue, and Kersten stood up to a degree. Fyfe showed he is getting closer to Fyfe as we know it.
Losing Walters sucked.

There are some people on this forum who purport to be Fremantle supporters, but I'm not buying it.
Ohhhh don't agree with an opinion so they are not freo fans Hahahahaha you poor snowflake

Losing Walters sucked.

You remind me of one of those "If you say something bad, you're not a true Freo supporter" people.

What an unbelievable comment to make.....maybe you should name and tag those people and be proven dead wrong.

I think we just saw why Clarkson is the best coach in the game. He isn't a one dimensional coach like Ross.

Ross game plan depends on having the competitions best forwards and it's something we don't have. Honestly we should have traded for Fyfe for Hogan because we won't win a flag without a beast forward under this game plan.

Can anyone explain how Ballas didn't get dropped? We are better off giving Tabs a run then a bloke who should have been cut from the list 2 years ago.

Supporters support.

True supporters don't support blindly.

Ross has been given ample amount of time and money. Instead he reverted back to a game plan that doesn't win flags. Only Sydney in the last 20 years have won with such a bad plan.

This overreaction to tonights game is actually amusing. So no one watched last weeks game or does everyone believe in 7 day miracles?

A few weeks ago we nearly beat Geelong in Geelong. Yet they dish up 92 points total in two games at home. It's the intent that's the most disappointing. We don't want the new list to have the same problems as the old list.

If you wanna take a chill pill, listen to Luke McPharlin.

"If you are coaching against Fremantle, you drop numbers behind the ball, right now the players can't pick apart a flood. Ross Lyon has to educate this young group to pick through it. We moved through it with ease when we were a top 4 team, these young players just don't know what to do with confronted it. Ross knows exactly how to beat the flood, just needs to get the players executing."

Or something to that effect.

This would be reassuring if it wasn't the senior players that are/were the biggest culprits like in rounds in and two. The other senior players have been dropped such as Ibbo, sutcliffe, Danyle Pearce etc. Not to mention the fact that the team has looked way better when the youth has been played. You'd think that because we flood so much we'd be experts at working through it. It also sounds like an admission that we're playing the same footy we did during McPharlin's time which is not growth.

We will never know how good the likes of Crozier SHill McCarthy Neale Kirsten etc really are when their AFL career with Freo will be about filling empty space on the field, pushing up and flooding back.Hawks players came to play footy and it looked like they had fun doing it.

Not all Ross fault but players who debut under him likely gone during this rebuild could be as high number as following

1) Yarran ( already retired)
2) balic
3) Collins
4) Tab
5) langdon (likely to stay but out of contract)
6) tucker ( same as above)

Players might get their contract extended due to above circumstances
1) ballas due to Yarran
2) suban due to balic
3) MJ
4) sheriden
5) croz

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not all Ross fault but players who debut under him likely gone during this rebuild could be as high number as following

1) Yarran ( already retired)
2) balic
3) Collins
4) Tab
5) langdon (likely to stay but out of contract)
6) tucker ( same as above)

Players might get their contract extended due to above circumstances
1) ballas due to Yarran
2) suban due to balic
3) MJ
4) sheriden
5) croz

That's really not your best work. Langdon and Tucker will be offered fair deals, but do they want to stay? 2, 4 & 5 from your second list will be gone and 1 & 3 might as well be.

Perhaps you're ignoring trade in opportunities?

You remind me of one of those "If you say something bad, you're not a true Freo supporter" people.

What an unbelievable comment to make.....maybe you should name and tag those people and be proven dead wrong.

Why, does the cap fit?
In your case, I think you are Melty McFace, a pathetic supporter with little understanding of the game. It's opinion based on your completely over the top melty posts.
Interested to see how you could prove me dead wrong, without breaking the rules of the board.

A few weeks ago we nearly beat Geelong in Geelong. Yet they dish up 92 points total in two games at home. It's the intent that's the most disappointing. We don't want the new list to have the same problems as the old list.

This would be reassuring if it wasn't the senior players that are/were the biggest culprits like in rounds in and two. The other senior players have been dropped such as Ibbo, sutcliffe, Danyle Pearce etc. Not to mention the fact that the team has looked way better when the youth has been played. You'd think that because we flood so much we'd be experts at working through it. It also sounds like an admission that we're playing the same footy we did during McPharlin's time which is not growth.

I like it how you know so much more than McPharlin and Ross etc

You should put your hand up to coach Freo

Apparently Hawks are a year behind us in their rebuild? I think its time the safety net on Ross is removed, I would love someone on the board to stand up and voice
their doubts, similar to Kennett, and what happened at Port.
At the end of the day ten years at the club is long enough, and its plain to see Clarkson and his proteges have a superior gameplan.
I don't want the club to just give Ross a decade to maybe improve, I would like to see innovation, and that starts at the top.
Other clubs have helped themselves, coach, even Richmond have done everything possible for Hardwick.
I would offer Longmuir a contact, pay increase and poach him from the eagles, same with Dew, Ratten, and if there is any chance
Hodge would be a coup, we haven't seen since Lyon was appointed.

People need to look at our list.

We have 8 players injured, another 8 or 10 are list cloggers plus 2 out for drinking. It really does not leave much to work with.

People saying drop Ballas, drop Spurr. But we have no one who can play there position.

Losing Walters will hurt us even more.

We have not traded away any first round picks to get mature age talent, if our list is shit are recruiters need to work harder.

Having said that our last 2 or 3 drafts look really good so we just need to hang on to the players and wait. Last year we brought in 8 players who could all play next week.

Certainly understand the angst with the way the team is playing at the moment and this is only going to go to another level after the flogging we will receive from GWS.

I guess we are around where I thought we would be for wins and Freo has certainly played and continued to play more new kids than I thought possible.

It is just that when we falter, we are almost non scoring/unwatchable. Even a 100 point to 85 point loss might make it a watchable game. We just look like the worst team in the comp on nights like last night and my interest in watching my team has taken a real hit. The crowd numbers for the rest of the year are going to take a real hit.

I am sure we will get an improvement again somewhere in the final games but geez I feel envious of even Essendon who clearly have a far more exciting and settled team, with a real chance of playing finals for the next couple of years.

And yes recruiters fix the forward line.

Two players with PCL injuries going into next year along with two players still dealing with broken legs is just more pain for our list. Fit and available my foot!!

I'll put my hand up. Seems like a pretty sweet gig. A million bucks a year and people will defend you to the death no matter what.

I think that is disingenuous. I think there are a lot of Ross Lyon supporters on here, myself being one of them. But to say that people will defend him to the death no matter what is factually incorrect. Many of his supporters point out current flaws in our system / personnel.

What I find interesting is that those who have written him off see it as black and white. What a senior coach does is not binary. Prior to Lyon being re-appointed all the talk was about how Lyon can't rebuild, he can't build a list, he drives lists into the ground, he is only good for mature lists. He is a bloody good coach that has not achieved "great" status. Yet.

Our club's administration has backed him in to rebuild the club and he has until 2020 to achieve that.

Clearly up until 2015 the internal belief of the club was that we could still compete for a flag, that was shut down in 2016 and we started bringing the young players through. Because guys like Blakely, Weller, Tucker weren't played every game it may have been frustrating for some supporters. Because Pearce, Suban, Mzungu, DeBoer, Ballantyne kept getting games there was some concerns over the intensity of the rebuild.

I would like to think that our rebuild has been planned a bit more thoroughly than "play the kids". We are bringing in young players who have shown improvement either at Peel or during training and they are given mature bodies around them to support and encourage their development. The worst thing we could have done is gone full Melbourne (you never go full Melbourne) / Carlton where you actively lose games to bring in young guys. They both punted players because they weren't young enough instead of how good they were.

There has to be a balance. Clearly our list is in transition and the message from our club is that we are always looking to win games while transitioning the list and growing the players we have. If you bring in 10 draftees you will field a non competitive side. I am encouraged with the way we have begun our list transition. I was initially against trading 3 for McCarthy / Logue / etc (however it ended up) because dammit, I wanted a shiny new toy! In reflection bringing in guys like McCarthy, B.Hill, Hamling and Kersten who are in the 22-24yo bracket is going to be good for us in the long run.

Expectations are an individual thing but if anyone expects Fremantle to be winning every game you are in for a bad time. If you expect us to compete every game, you are in for disappointment.

Our young team is going to be inconsistent for at least the next 2 years. We should hold the club accountable when required but we should also enjoy moments like Nyhuis' debut, big Darcy getting physical and Taberner performing well for Peel.

If we punted Ross Lyon we set the rebuild back 2 years for an untried coach. Unless Clarkson is available, I wouldn't take anyone else (Look at how highley touted Mark Harvey was before we punted Cuddles).

People need to look at our list.

We have 8 players injured, another 8 or 10 are list cloggers plus 2 out for drinking. It really does not leave much to work with.

People saying drop Ballas, drop Spurr. But we have no one who can play there position.

Losing Walters will hurt us even more.

We have not traded away any first round picks to get mature age talent, if our list is shit are recruiters need to work harder.

Having said that our last 2 or 3 drafts look really good so we just need to hang on to the players and wait. Last year we brought in 8 players who could all play next week.
That is the reason I said is not all Ross fault , whether is the fitness department or assistant coach all need to work together , having balic a young footballer staying too close with footballer that create media attention is very unnecessary especially with how people show their Instagram photo who now disable by balic.

Last edited:
Expectations are an individual thing but if anyone expects Fremantle to be winning every game you are in for a bad time. If you expect us to compete every game, you are in for disappointment.

Who's being disingenous now?

It's got nothing at all to do with whether we are winning or losing and everything to do with how the team is being coached.

We are still the most defensive team in the league despite everyone else having known for at least 2 years that that gamestyle is obsolete.

If we were playing an attacking style of game and still losing we wouldn't be saying what we're saying.

It's incredible to think that Lyon still has 3 years on his contract after this year, great work on his behalf. He really played the Freo board for chumps by getting that sort of deal...

He won't be going anywhere for at least another year.
A huge payout to get rid of him. We need someone working in the background to convince the Pies he's their man(a Finisher Coach) and if he requests to break contract we can save about $3M.

I'd go for one of our own in Justin Longmuir

Who's being disingenous now?

It's got nothing at all to do with whether we are winning or losing and everything to do with how the team is being coached.

We are still the most defensive team in the league despite everyone else having known for at least 2 years that that gamestyle is obsolete.

If we were playing an attacking style of game and still losing we wouldn't be saying what we're saying.

Not sure how what I said is disingenuous, happy for you to explain it to me though in the context of my entire post.

Our coaching staff are clearly trying a new games style (part of which has been forced on us due to reduction in stoppages) but game style changes take time. I clearly remember people being up in arms during Ross Lyon's first year during the first 12(ish) games where we were hardly scoring because he was trying to teach the new style.

These things take time. Our coaching staff are clearly trying to evolve how we play, they can hardly be blamed for the way we sprayed our shots last week, the players have to execute. If they can't they will be moved on as we transition our list into one that can (hopefully) win our inaugural flag.

Ross Lyon should be given until mid way through 2019 to complete the rebuild his way. Which is exactly what he has been charged to do. If we don't see any future in it by that point then the club should be looking at contingencies. Right now, there is no better alternative that has a higher chance of taking us to a premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Back