List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Will hold off on judging Ross and whether he's actually evolved until the Eagles game in a couple of weeks.

Last week really felt different to anything we've seen under him before, fluid and instinctual play, seemingly simplified to play to our new strengths.

Disconcerting to be back to the same old shit this week, but we've always struggled with the Gold Coast trip, one of those strange match ups like us an Geelong and not unexpected for the kids to get ahead of themselves after last week.

Yep. Done. How we go from dominating and so attacking last week, to setting up defensively and not dominating the talls? Pathetic. Ross can't attack. He's scared, so scared to kick goals.
to afraid to attack? Freo kicked 21.15.141 last week, I don't recall Ross Lyon shitting his pants after the North game.

Will hold off on judging Ross and whether he's actually evolved until the Eagles game in a couple of weeks.

Last week really felt different to anything we've seen under him before, fluid and instinctual play, seemingly simplified to play to our new strengths.

Disconcerting to be back to the same old shit this week, but we've always struggled with the Gold Coast trip, one of those strange match ups like us an Geelong and not unexpected for the kids to get ahead of themselves after last week.
Unfortunately I think its possible to predict almost exactly what will happen against the Eagles. The same thing that always happens. We'll come out breathing fire and have weight of possession for a while during which we'll bomb inside 50 where McGovern, Hurn & Co will mark and launch counter attacks. Hutchings will keep Fyfe mostly out of the game and their mids will soon get on top and pile on goals. Our forwards will take a total of 3 or 4 marks inside 50 while the likes of Kennedy, Allan, Brander and Darling will take them on the lead all day. Its so depressingly inevitable.

Word for word agree. It's so sad how we already know what will happen.
Unfortunately I think its possible to predict almost exactly what will happen against the Eagles. The same thing that always happens. We'll come out breathing fire and have weight of possession for a while during which we'll bomb inside 50 where McGovern, Hurn & Co will mark and launch counter attacks. Hutchings will keep Fyfe mostly out of the game and their mids will soon get on top and pile on goals. Our forwards will take a total of 3 or 4 marks inside 50 while the likes of Kennedy, Allan, Brander and Darling will take them on the lead all day. Its so depressingly inevitable.

I’ve definitely seen this movie!

The last kick inside 50 for us we had McCarthy vs 5 GC defenders with Tabs standing around watching from 10m away. Where was Hogan? Where was Lobb? Darcy?

The vision shows the numbers were pretty even inside 50m.

Taberner led up towards the 50m and Collins was with him but when Hill's kick went in the air Collins read the flight of the ball and peeled back. Taberner was committed to his lead and couldn't turn back sharply.

McCarthy was shepherded off the contest. Hogan was signalling he wanted the ball over the back in the right forward pocket and Banfield was an option free in space inside 50m.

Hill's kick was a bit high and had some hang time.

Last edited:
Surely after that performance he has the right to clip the midfield in the presser. Simpson went after his midfield following the Brisbane game in round 1. They responded a week later. I’m not sure all the cuddling and smoke / mirrors is the right move. Sometimes you need to tell it straight. The fans aren’t idiots. We watch the game.

The vision shows the numbers were pretty even inside 50m.

Taberner led up towards the 50m and Collins was with him but when Hill's kick went in the air Collins read the flight of the ball and peeled back. Taberner was committed to his lead and couldn't turn back sharply.

McCarthy was shepherded off the contest. Hogan was signalling he wanted the ball over the back in the right forward pocket and Banfield was an option free in space inside 50m.

Hill's kick was a bit high and had some hang time.

Thanks. But the GC defenders all read it to have 5 at the fall of the ball, can’t see why we couldn’t have had more than just McCarthy there. Weak af.

Do you know where either Lobb or Darcy were?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely after that performance he has the right to clip the midfield in the presser. Simpson went after his midfield following the Brisbane game in round 1. They responded a week later. I’m not sure all the cuddling and smoke / mirrors is the right move. Sometimes you need to tell it straight. The fans aren’t idiots. We watch the game.

Apart from Mundy, the midfield that needed a clip is quite young. Not sure if it's right to clip them in the media, and maybe Ross feels that way.

But are we ever likely to see this?
Sandi is nearer 40 than 30.
Many on here believe we should remove him from the list completely.
I for one disagree. Sandi is hardly a “bust ya gut” ruckman. He is an excellent tap ruckman but
Our midfield is copping a lot of criticism and there are a few grim predictions about their prospects this year.

I fail to see how this midfield isn’t going to be competitive most weeks;

Fyfe
Mundy
Hill
Langdon
Blakely
Brayshaw
Cerra
Tucker
Conca

Or am I too biased? I mean WC won a premiership with a midfield not much better than these guys and today we were up against Swallow, Miller, Bowes, McPherson and Fiorini ffs! Why did we get beaten in there? Not enough effort or out coached? I think I know what the answer is.
Our midfield was putrid today. And yes, I think you over rate it. Not enough inside grunt. Darcy is no where near sandi’s caliber as yet. Barra also had a stinker

If Ross out coaches Simpson in the derby, all will be forgiven 😝

to afraid to attack? Freo kicked 21.15.141 last week, I don't recall Ross Lyon shitting his pants after the North game.
But then he reverts back to this style? How many times have we kicked 100+ Only to just play down to our opposition and barely kick 60. Doesn’t make sense

Thanks. But the GC defenders all read it to have 5 at the fall of the ball, can’t see why we couldn’t have had more than just McCarthy there. Weak af.

Do you know where either Lobb or Darcy were?

The talls inside 50 when Hill marks the ball are Hogan and his opponent running back towards the pocket and Taberner and Collins about 35m out. Taberner runs towards the kick and Collins figures its going over the top. There's Langdon and his opponent Will Powell also inside 50.

Hill plays on fast (maybe too fast) and heads towards the square where its Weller vs McCarthy with Hanley standing in front of them who puts on the block (prob. illegal), but when Hill has the ball the numbers ahead of him are even with perhaps one more Fremantle player likely to be able to affect the next contest or to create an extra to run the ball inside.

There are other options, including some coming through for a squaring central kick as Hill is about to kick inside 50m but possibily Hill knows how much time is left and takes the decision to play on immediately and go long with his kick.

Last edited:
The talls inside 50 when Hill marks the ball are Hogan and his opponent running back towards the pocket and Taberner and Collins about 35m out. Taberner runs towards the kick and Collins figures its going over the top. There's Langdon and his opponent Will Powell also inside 50.

Hill plays on fast (maybe too fast) and heads towards the square because its Weller vs McCarthy with Hanley standing in front of them who puts on the block (prob. illegal), but when Hill has the ball the numbers ahead of him are even with perhaps one more Fremantle player likely to be able to affect the contest.

There are other options, including some coming through for a squaring central kick as Hill is about to kick inside 50m but possibily Hill knows how much time is left and takes the decision to play on immediately and go long with his kick.
It was frustrating all game, we didn’t adjust kept persisting with that long kick. This happened pre season. Tall forwards won’t mark these sort of balls, when opposition has 1-2 spare defenders. What is Hogan’s speciality? One on one, on the lead in front.
Hogan to Tabs? On the lead, in front.

Honestly. We’re too confident with having these talls, and midfield is just slacking off. Lower the eyes, get the ball in the pockets. Tabs did the things a forward should do. McCarthy shouldn’t be having long bombs kicked to him. He shouldn’t be the target of those kicks. He was great early, leading to the ball.
Ross gave Hogan no chance or time to get used to the forward line.

But then he reverts back to this style? How many times have we kicked 100+ Only to just play down to our opposition and barely kick 60. Doesn’t make sense
Well we are rebuilding right? Inconsistent games happen.

Go back to round 2, 2017, we lost to port in Adelaide by 89 points, 6 days later we beat the dogs at home by 16

We got beat by GC who are garbage. I blame the inconsistency of the team on the leadership group and Ross.

Is the team serious about contending? Probably not, just a bunch of boys who want to live that rock star lifestyle led by a coach who hasn't had a grip on the team since mid-2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Back